Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ask the Vets this week!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    What was the answer to the question about water? The water in my building has an odd chlorine-y smell, especially the cold water. Sometimes I buy drinking water at the supermarket and sometimes I boil tap water and let it cool, which seems to help. We get Lake Michigan water. Other residents in my building have noticed the same problem and a lot of people use bottled water.

Thank you,
    Elyse
    The answer was basically, if you don't want to drink it, don't make your cats drink it. Getting a filtered pitcher is better, less expensive than bottled for the long run ...
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Okay, I'll send you the audio files when I get them, because they discussed other things than pumpkin, that's just the one that stuck in my head!
    Thanks Karen.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    The answer was basically, if you don't want to drink it, don't make your cats drink it. Getting a filtered pitcher is better, less expensive than bottled for the long run ...
    I saw something similar on the internet. A doctor was asked the question is tap water better for you than bottled water? His answer was that tap water was better for you because it's tested much more thoroughly than bottled water. He said that if you hate the taste then just get something to filter it with. I have very hard water and I don't drink my water. I do filter it by osmosis sp? and then I drink it. I give my cats this water in the main area. I've been just giving my cats in my bedroom plain old tap water. They all seem to like the water that I've been giving them.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    Thanks Karen.

I saw something similar on the internet. A doctor was asked the question is tap water better for you than bottled water? His answer was that tap water was better for you because it's tested much more thoroughly than bottled water. He said that if you hate the taste then just get something to filter it with. I have very hard water and I don't drink my water. I do filter it by osmosis sp? and then I drink it. I give my cats this water in the main area. I've been just giving my cats in my bedroom plain old tap water. They all seem to like the water that I've been giving them.
    The more complete answer, which will be in the audio files is, the quality of tap water varies from community to community, and can even vary from home to home depending on whether people use a municipal water source or a local or individual well. So whether "tap" water is okay really depends on your own situation.
    I've Been Frosted

So anyone else have any questions this week? Big or small, dog, cat, bunny, budgie, all are welcome!
    I've Been Frosted

I have a question concerning which sunscreens are safe to use on dogs. Towser's face burns if he is outside in the sun all day, so I've been looking in to sunscreens that I could apply around his nose and eyes. I'm concerned about all the chemicals that are in most sunscreens you see on store shelves. I've heard baby sunscreen is fine, but I also know a lot of sunscreens have zinc oxide in them, which is -- from what I understand-- toxic for dogs to ingest. Since it would be near his mouth, and he might lick some off, should I be concerned or is it not a significant amount to harm him?

I'll be sure to ask that! Anyone else?
    I've Been Frosted

This Thursday

We will have the next "Ask the Vets" show, after a 1-week hiatus! Any questions, folks? Big or small, I'll ask them!
    I've Been Frosted

Can you ask about the dandruff problems in my long haired cats Alani & Blaze? Also can you ask why Alani & Blaze can't tolerate canned food? They love it but it always gives them diarrhea or very loose stools. I've even tried to give them canned food with more fiber in it but this still didn't work. My vet suggested that I mix water with the canned food but this didn't work either. They now eat dry grain free food and they also get some chicken broth every night.

Don't know if I am in time for this week or not, but I just learned that Vetsulin insulin is back on the market and is half the price of the Prozinc. The vet said that the dosage would have to be readjusted for the switch. Morgan was on Vetsulin when he was diagnosed with diabetes. That was about 6 or 7 years ago before it was pulled. Maybe the vets could discuss the difference in these insulins. I wonder if they have a preference.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

If I can, I'll sneak that in if we have time!
    I've Been Frosted

Moesha, didn't get that one in this week, but will hold it for next time!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks. I just got a refill last week on Higgins' Prozinc, so I won't have to decide about the vetsulin for a couple of more weeks.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.