Thread: Please Help!!! Cat Spraying!!! Please Help!!

Hybrid View

Please Help!!! Cat Spraying!!! Please Help!!

I moved in with my girlfriend about a year ago with my 3-1/2 year old pitbull. She already had 2 cats(brother and sister) that are also about 3-1/2. Our living space is loft style, obviously not big enough for 3 animals. The dog is crated for most of the day while we are at work and on a leash when we are home. The male cat started spraying on our bed a few months into me moving in. We tried feliway plug-ins in every outlet and calming sprays and none worked.We also had the vet check for bladder infections and other physical problems, nothing. Finally we added a second litter box in our bedroom area and that worked like a miracle for about 4 months. Just the other day he started spraying on the bed again! Now we are at the point where we dont know what to do or what any other options are and we dont want to give away our pets! please if anyone has any suggestions, we are open!

Did anything change right before he started spraying again? Did you change litter types or anything? He's obviously trying to communicate something ...

And just as a formality, is he neutered?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Did anything change right before he started spraying again? Did you change litter types or anything? He's obviously trying to communicate something ...

And just as a formality, is he neutered?
    He is neutered.... the only change we can think of is, the dog usually has his spot on the couch that we make him sit when he's out of the crate. We've been a bit more liberal with letting him explore around the living area when the cats are at a safe distance. That is the only change.

Hmm, does the cat have places he can go - like a cat tree or perch, where the dog couldn't "get" him? (Even if the dog has no interest in doing so ....)
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hmm, does the cat have places he can go - like a cat tree or perch, where the dog couldn't "get" him? (Even if the dog has no interest in doing so ....)
    Yes, he has a perch and can go upstairs, where the dog is not allowed to go. I dont know if it matters that we live in a loft style condo and "upstairs" is our bedroom area that he can see and hear the dog..

Is there a litter box up stairs?

Where does the dog sleep at night? You mentioned he is crated during the day, while you are at work. Did the cat used to sleep on the bed with his momma? Is he still able to do that? Is the dog's crate in the bedroom? Near the bed at night?

These are the sorts of things you need to think about.