Thread: My foster girls are moving to their furrever HOME! (Need advice re: intro to resident cat.)

My foster girls are moving to their furrever HOME! (Need advice re: intro to resident cat.)

My two foster girls (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ng-two-kitties!) are going to their Furrever home tomorrow! They are being adopted by a delightful family I have cat-sat for for a long time. They lost one of their two male cats recently and were about to look for a new pal for Tuck, the remaining boy, when I suggested "How about TWO new pals for him?" And they came over and met the Girls and decided to go for them!

The two girls, ages 5 and 11, will be starting out in the room of one of the daughters who is away at college. The adopters have told me that Tuck is somewhat territorial. Another possible consideration: the Girls are both declawed, whereas Tuck has his nails (see http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ats-with-claws).

So I am writing to ask for advice and suggestions on the best way to introduce him and the newbies to each other.

I figure the Girls should stay in their room for a few days to get used to yet another new environment. Tuck will no doubt wonder why he is shut out of that room and sniff the aromas of the new arrivals.

Any thoughts on when to let him in or to let one or both of them out? Anything we can do to smooth out the process, make them more attractive to each other while they go through the intro period?

They are all cats of a certain age, so I think once the shock wears off they will settle down around each other. My regulars have mixed with the Girls with just the occasional obligatory hisses but no actual conflicts. (Mine all have nails, too.) The Girls are lovers, not fighters, and I imagine if Tuck gets hostile with them they'll just retreat.

But I REALLY want this process to go smoothly and the adoption to work out! These people will give them a WONDERFUL home, just as they have always done for their cats, and even better, I'll be able to keep in touch with the Girls and visit them when I cat-sit there again!

Thanks SO much for any words of wisdom!

Pat and Kitty and Kellie and the rest of the gang
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

In the past when I introduce a new kitty to the house I keep the door closed for the first few days. Then I put up a baby gate over the doorway so the animals can see and smell each other through it. This must be done supervised only of course, since the cats can jump over or climb the gate.

There will definitely be spats between the resident cat and the newbies. And the family should do their best to let the cats work it out on their own. Only intervene if it accelerates to the point that someone could get hurt (especially since the girls are declawed).

Also, others on PT have suggested in the past is to swap items between the cats. Take something the girls have slept on and put it out where Tuck is and take something of Tucks into the room with the girls. This will help them get accustomed with the smells.

But first and foremost.............take it slow!

I'm sure others will have great ideas as well.

And congrats on finding them their forever home!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks, Cindy. Those are good suggestions, and I'll pass them along.

That's an interesting idea, one I hadn't heard before, about swapping items between the cats. I can imagine that being quite effective.

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm so glad that you found them a new loving forever home together. Cindy gave you some very good information. I've also read that you can use a towel to rub on each cat and then let the other cat get used to the smell. You can also use Feliway plugins to help calm everyone. I sure hope that everything will work out. Good luck.