Thread: Tick Extermination

Tick Extermination

My yellow lab, Andy has conditions reflective of tick paralysis. He started coughing as he had kennel cough two months ago. Along with the cough, his breathing began raspy. I have taken him to the vet, done the tests and administered two rounds of medication to no avail. The problem appears to be the present ticks. My question is what is the best approach, a professional exterminator, or tackle it myself?

Quote Originally Posted by jason ring View Post
    My yellow lab, Andy has conditions reflective of tick paralysis. He started coughing as he had kennel cough two months ago. Along with the cough, his breathing began raspy. I have taken him to the vet, done the tests and administered two rounds of medication to no avail. The problem appears to be the present ticks. My question is what is the best approach, a professional exterminator, or tackle it myself?
    Yikes, that's scary. Does he go for walks in areas with tall grass, or where do you think the ticks are coming from?

I could ask this question tomorrow on the "Ask the Vets" radio show I host if you want!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    His symptoms do not sound like tick paralysis to me - not just a cough and raspy breathing. Don't put blinders on and think that this is the answer. Have the heartworm test, and have him checked for a heart murmur and possible congestive heart failure. I'm not trying to scare you, but I lost one of my dogs last year to heart failure, and he had the cough and raspy breathing, so I do know what I'm talking about. Dogs can live for many years with this condition tho, with the help of medication, weight control, and a good diet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I would appreciate the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Yikes, that's scary. Does he go for walks in areas with tall grass, or where do you think the ticks are coming from?

I could ask this question tomorrow on the "Ask the Vets" radio show I host if you want!
    I would be more than happy to pose the question regarding the best approach to exterminating ticks. As mentioned Andy is eleven, though his spirit and undefinable friendship have remained constant. I'm not trying to dramatize the situation, although when the ticks became present so did his condition which puts his health in danger. Andy's Vet wasn't able positively identify the reason for his condition. I'm all ears. Jason Ring 541 390 1772 Thank you

Thank you for the suggestion

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10057_3987796775250_254702718_n.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	56171
    Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    His symptoms do not sound like tick paralysis to me - not just a cough and raspy breathing. Don't put blinders on and think that this is the answer. Have the heartworm test, and have him checked for a heart murmur and possible congestive heart failure. I'm not trying to scare you, but I lost one of my dogs last year to heart failure, and he had the cough and raspy breathing, so I do know what I'm talking about. Dogs can live for many years with this condition tho, with the help of medication, weight control, and a good diet.
    After posting my concern of tick paralysis, I reviewed the tests which came up empty. Andy was tested for heartworm, tick fever, lyme disease, anaplasma, and desert disease. You nailed it, I jumped prematurely unless tick fever testing doesn't cover tick paralysis, which I'm assuming it does. I am concerned at this point. The last visit with Andy's vet wasn't assuring. He is eleven, with the exception of his breathing and coughing, and the presence of ticks, he is the same as he was when he was one. The rescue dog, Amos which probably had ticks has minor respiratory issues. I feel a little better after re reading your last sentence. Thank You.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    What an adorable picture. And I love the names - Amos & Andy. Yes - I know who they were - so I guess I'm telling my age too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Has your vet taken chest x-rays?

facebook

x rays next step in diagnosing cough and respiratory issues

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Has your vet taken chest x-rays?
    Andy's Vet suggested chest x rays twice. The first suggestion came after the tests came up negative. The second suggestion came two weeks later when I asked advice for the ten day car trip I had planned with Andy months prior, that was three weeks away. He could advise the trip with the stipulation that x rays be taken prior.

The vets on the radio show yesterday all say a chest x-ray should be the next step. That can help diagnose any number of things that could be at work, and they listed too many for me to remember. They all agreed it is in no way tick paralysis, by the way! When I get the audio file from the engineer i will email it to you, okay? There are many things it could be ...

They also said it is nearly impossible to eliminate ticks in the environment outdoors, but there are good tick preventatives for your dogs on the market - and one other thing they mentioned is removing the ticks as quickly as possible. Did you know it takes up to 6 hours of a tick being attached to your pet for it to be able to transmit any disease? And as Andy is a fairly smooth-coated dog, running your hands over his body every time he comes in, and making a tick check just part of your routine, would be a good habit to get into.

Also, they mentioned that all indicators are this is going to be a bad year for ticks, even more than ever before, and in more areas, so this is habit we should probably all get into!
    I've Been Frosted

Coughing and exercise intolerance are poster child symptoms for heart conditions. X-rays are absolutely the next step you should take above other diagnostics.

I, personally, would not be taking my dog on a car trip without taking x-rays first to ensure the dog was safe for travel...

facebook

Confident on next step in addressing my Yellow Lab's respiratory condition

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Coughing and exercise intolerance are poster child symptoms for heart conditions. X-rays are absolutely the next step you should take above other diagnostics.

I, personally, would not be taking my dog on a car trip without taking x-rays first to ensure the dog was safe for travel...
    Thank you making your opinion clear. As mentioned that was the one thing I remember after Andy's tests came up empty. When I contacted Andy's Vet shortly after about a car trip of 2400 miles, he suggested the X-rays. With Karen the Mayor, Pomtzu, and your suggestion, I fell at ease with with what was originally mention by Andy's Vet. I didn't narrow it down to that only because after being told the obvious was ruled out and for the first time I was dealing with ticks. With that and desperate internet searches I came up with tick paralysis, which after I examined the topic closer, is primarily a condition in Australia. In that search for a solid answer I came across this forum, which is the first one I've participated in, and am grateful for. Thank you

Name:	lil andy.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	56192
    Last edited by jason ring; 04-07-2013 at 05:46 AM. Reason: the image broke up the paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    The vets on the radio show yesterday all say a chest x-ray should be the next step. That can help diagnose any number of things that could be at work, and they listed too many for me to remember. They all agreed it is in no way tick paralysis, by the way! When I get the audio file from the engineer i will email it to you, okay? There are many things it could be ...

They also said it is nearly impossible to eliminate ticks in the environment outdoors, but there are good tick preventatives for your dogs on the market - and one other thing they mentioned is removing the ticks as quickly as possible. Did you know it takes up to 6 hours of a tick being attached to your pet for it to be able to transmit any disease? And as Andy is a fairly smooth-coated dog, running your hands over his body every time he comes in, and making a tick check just part of your routine, would be a good habit to get into.

Also, they mentioned that all indicators are this is going to be a bad year for ticks, even more than ever before, and in more areas, so this is habit we should probably all get into!
    Wow, thank you. I came across this forum in an uncertain search for Andy's respiratory condition. As stated he had what from posts and youtube videos suggested, kennel cough. Along with that any activity resulted in raspy breathing. Also, the rescue dog, Amos that we've had for seven months has minor respiratory issues, and from what we can tell is the reason for the ticks, which without this forum's responses, made me suspect the reason for Andy's condition. As mentioned Andy is almost twelve, and has had no health issues. I got lucky with this dog as he has been an undefinable friend, and I was getting a little desperate for answers, which you, your radio show's audience and posts from this forum provided and clarified. I already bought the tick exterminating products for inside and outside the house, I came across an exterminator on Craig's list that charges thirty five dollars a visit. Andy's vet made it clear that I need to have at least one follow up extermination, and if the exterminator suggests only the one, get another exterminator. The exterminating products I bought will be supplemental. Please send me the transcript of the show if convenient. I did a search on your show, and Las Vegas was at the only area listed as airing it. Please let me know of how to tune in. Again, thank you, you and this forum came through. Jason, Amos and Andy.

Name:	548833_4212248676627_1841952504_n.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	56193

The problem I've found while searching for symptoms on the internet is that most of the information you find will point to something horrible... hehe. Nothing can replace a physical exam/diagnostics done by a vet (as you have done). I hope that, whatever course you and your vet decide to take, will work out the best for everyone! Good luck

facebook

Jason, I finally got the audio files, I'll email you the show now!
    I've Been Frosted