Thread: Any Vitamin/Supplement Questions?

Any Vitamin/Supplement Questions?

Does anyone have any vitamin or supplements questions for tomorrow's radio show? That's gonna be the focus, this week. Any questions on the safety of various joint supplements or anything? Let me know!
    I've Been Frosted

Is joint supplement safe to give long term? And what is the best supplement for joints? I currently give Zoee Cosequin DS every day. I recently upped her to two a day and she seems to be better more often now.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'd be interested to know if the glucosamine/chondroitin that I have been giving Myndi for quite a few years, really benefits her at her age. She's 17 now, and the arthritis in her spine and back legs is getting worse, but I'm reluctant to discontinue giving it to her. Also - what is the best dose for her - she weighs 9.5 lbs. There's not a lot of beneficial meds that she can take because of her kidneys and her GI sensitivity, tho she does take Tramadol for pain.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pomtzu; 04-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I will ask these!
    I've Been Frosted

I really don't know how the glucosamine works on dogs but I do know my vet told me it was a waste of money for horses and she never did recommend it for the dogs. My son's dog has a very bad back, he's paralyzing slowly and the hind really gives sometimes. The vet gives him one shot a month for the pain, been over a yr now and the dog is doing great. I can't remember the name for sure, it might be the Convenia...whatever it is I'm amazed at how it totally took the pain away , the dog can actually move without whimpering. He will still end up paralyzed but this seems to have halted the whole process.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    I really don't know how the glucosamine works on dogs but I do know my vet told me it was a waste of money for horses and she never did recommend it for the dogs. My son's dog has a very bad back, he's paralyzing slowly and the hind really gives sometimes. The vet gives him one shot a month for the pain, been over a yr now and the dog is doing great. I can't remember the name for sure, it might be the Convenia...whatever it is I'm amazed at how it totally took the pain away , the dog can actually move without whimpering. He will still end up paralyzed but this seems to have halted the whole process.
    Do you know what's causing the back trouble? Nerves, arthritic, joint pain? Just curious, as the term "bad back" can be used for a myriad of things!
    I've Been Frosted

I don't have any pets taking it, so I've never talked to a vet about it or researched it, but the talk about glucosamine/chondroitin got me wondering...

-Is the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin really worth the extra cost or is glucosamine by itself just as good?
    -Is it necessary to stick to a brand of glucosamine/chondroitin marketed to dogs (such as Cosequin) or is it okay to give a brand that's marketed to people as long as it's properly dosed by a vet?
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Hey folks, we talked a lot about this stuff on the radio show today, and both vets went into plenty of detail on the glucosamine/condroitin issues. There was far too much information for me to remember it all reliably, so I will email you all the audio files when I get them!

Asiel, your vet is wrong, according to both the veterinarians on the radio show, Glucosamine not only works for horses, it was actually first developed for horses, and then reformulated for dogs and cats and humans. Dr. Carol actually discussed why, and I think you'll find that interesting, too!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Do you know what's causing the back trouble? Nerves, arthritic, joint pain? Just curious, as the term "bad back" can be used for a myriad of things!
    I think it's a combination of old age, arthrits and degenerative myelopathy, possibly disc problem from what some of the tests showed----And the med the dog is receiving wasn't the Convenia, that's for his skin infections..for his back he's getting the Cartrophen shot once a month
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    I think it's a combination of old age, arthrits and degenerative myelopathy, possibly disc problem from what some of the tests showed----And the med the dog is receiving wasn't the Convenia, that's for his skin infections..for his back he's getting the Cartrophen shot once a month
    The vets did immediately say the Covenia must be for something other than the back pain, I'll send you the audio files when I get them, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

I got the audio files, and will email them to everybody in a bit!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Thanks Karen - I just listened to them. I did learn more about the dosage, but don't know what brands are pharmaceutical grades, and which aren't, or if at her advanced age, it continues to be of any benefit to keep giving it to her. Guess I'll continue - it can't hurt.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Thanks Karen - I just listened to them. I did learn more about the dosage, but don't know what brands are pharmaceutical grades, and which aren't, or if at her advanced age, it continues to be of any benefit to keep giving it to her. Guess I'll continue - it can't hurt.
    Glad you were able to listen in. They had quite a discussion on that, didn't they?
    I've Been Frosted