Thread: metacam: opinions?

metacam: opinions?

Hello all...our vet has come to the conclusion that my Zingo is suffering from diabetic neuropathy in his hind legs. At first he was thinking muscle atrophy but with the diagnosis of diabetes about 2+ months ago, the neuropathy seems a more likely culprit. They are asking if we want to try him on metacam to help him out a bit. Watching/listening to him go up the stairs is heartbreaking, but just TRY to stop him....so has anyone had experience with it? Did it work? Zing is my baby and as I said my heart is breaking for him....

thanks a bunch!

I have had two cats on Metacam post-surgery. It worked very well. Over the very long term it can damage the liver. Depending on Zingo's age and the dose he gets, it might be very good for him. Ask your vet about the long-term effects and whether they are a concern in Zingo's case.

I hope you can try it for a while and it will give feisty Zingo a good run up the stairs!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

He is about 12 or so...this is so not funny but at the same time...in the middle of the night, when he is coming up the stairs, it honestly sounds like something out of an old monster movie, very halting footsteps + the creaking of the stairs...you would seriously not be surprised to see Frankenstein come around the corner...my poor baby

Our vet actually gives it to one of their cats as well, so I take that as a high recommendation...

Trin

I believe it is the same drug as meloxicam (may be the generic) which helped Lady(elder canine niece) be more comfortable in her last year, much to the dismay of Patch (kitty).
    I've Been Frosted

My vet doesn't like to give it to cats, especially for long periods of time. Has Zingo's diabetes been controlled by insulin? I had a diabetic kitty a few years ago that I was able to wean off of the insulin and control it with food. I currently have one that we are working on getting the insulin amount regulated. He has some mobility issues, but the vet wants to get the diabetes regulated before dealing with that. Often once the diabetes is controlled the neuropathy improves.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

We tried using it on a few of our dogs but it always made them vomit so we don't bother using it anymore and our vet agrees the side effect isn't good. I guess if it doesn't make him sick and helps then I would go with it---every drug has it's own side effects and I guess we have to weigh the benefit versus the side effects.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I think they do routine blood draws to monitor the liver, when metacam is used long term. It will help him feel better, poor kitty.

Here's the wikipedia entry: specifically says do not use in cat. Unfortunately, so many meds are toxic to cats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meloxicam
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I believe I also have read that one of the Vitamin B's helps the neuropathy. B12 maybe. You might want to give that a try before using the pain medicine.

Metacam is the trade, meloxicam is the generic. I've worked with doctors that refuse to use it with cats because of the possible side effects... and I have worked with doctors that will use it as a one-time dose after surgery, such as a spay, but does not send any home. I do not know of any feline patients that we have ever put on it long-term due to the side effects.

That having been said, sometimes you have to weigh the pros and cons and look at quality of life as a factor. Doesn't sound like a very good quality of life right now. The risk of using meloxicam long-term may lead to liver damage, but in the mean time your kitty can get around pain-free.

If this is a route you choose to take, I strongly recommend doing labwork to check the liver to ensure the med is not adversly affecting your kitty.

facebook

It is approved as a post-op pain med since it's a short-term use.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Trinityagain, I asked the vets about your issue on the show today. They both said that the metacam is NOT for long-term use in cats, usually a single dose after surgery at best, but they had other ideas for you to help poor Zingo - although Dr. Carol called him a dog at one point, I corrected her! I will send you the audio files once I get them!
    I've Been Frosted

Could I get the audio files also? I'd be interested in hearing what they said since I have a new diabetic kitty with the possible beginnings of neuropathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    Could I get the audio files also? I'd be interested in hearing what they said since I have a new diabetic kitty with the possible beginnings of neuropathy.
    I will send them to you as well!
    I've Been Frosted