Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Quit Smoking - FOR GOOD!!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

I Quit Smoking - FOR GOOD!!!

Yes - I am (WAS) a smoker for many years- since the early 60's when I was in my late teens. A few of you are aware that I smoked, but it wasn't something I advertized, as I was not proud of it. Was I stupid to start in the first place??? - yes of course - but back then no one thought of it that way - and it was the cool thing to do! By the time all of the health hazards were known, then I was hooked. There was a time for quite a while, where I could quit at will, but those times of "being quit" got shorter, and the episodes fewer and farther apart. And in times of stress, of course I smoked even more.

I knew I should quit - but that is easier said than done, as anyone who has smoked and kicked the habit (or tried to) knows. I tried just about everything ~~~~~

Cold turkey - not for this turkey! I turned into a raging wounded bull after about the 2nd day, and wasn't fit to be around. I didn't even like myself!!!

Prescription meds - big time bad news. These are nothing more than anti-depressants, and I have very adverse reactions to them. I seriously thought I was having a nervous breakdown after being on Zyban for a few weeks. Luckily I put the pieces of the puzzle together and figured out what was going on. A very scary time - something I would never want to go thru again. I would rather die from smoking!!!

Nicotine gum or lozenges - YUK! The taste is so disgusting that it would just about make me barf.

Nicotine patches - nope. I can't do medicated patches of any kind. After the first day or two, I break out in red itchy welts where the patch is applied.

Hypnosis. Yup - tried that too. Didn't work.

And frankly, I enjoyed smoking and really didn't have much desire to quit, even tho I knew it was taking it's toll on me. Smoking is one of the worst things to be doing when you have osteoporisis and GI issues - and I have both - big time.

So I started reading about the electronic cigarette craze. Yeah - all the hype sounded good - but what's the catch????? The more I read, the more interested in the idea that I became, yet I was very skeptical. Then one day my son brought up the subject - said he had done a ton of research and was going to try it. I'm still skeptical. As it was, I had a couple of doctor appointments soon after he had been talking about them, and I brought the subject up with both my PCP and Cardiologist. Much to my surprise, both doctors highly endorsed the idea! I thought they were joking - but not so.

So I had my son order for me when he placed his order - it was worth a try - tho I wasn't all that positive that they would work. Guess what????? - THEY WORK! I haven't had a real cigarette in over 2 months - and don't want one either. I have my e-cig - water vapor that looks like smoke, and I'm getting nicotine only - not all the tar and who knows how many other carcinogens in the real smoke. And I really don't even smoke the e-cig much either. A disposable cartridge is equal to about one pack of cigarettes, and one lasts me 3 or 4 days - and I was smoking the real ones at about a pack per day. Big difference - and in the price too. I was smoking a generic brand of cigarettes at about $3.75 per pack, and the cartridges that I buy figure out to $1.30 per pack. My final goal is to be smoking nothing - not even the fakes. I think I'm well on my way to that goal even after this short time. And if I do continue smoking the e-cigs, then I'm not doing any more harm to my health. My son's is a success story too - he's been real smoke free for a few weeks longer than I have!

So the moral of this rather long and drawn out story????????? Well the first of course would be - don't start smoking in the first place!! And if you are a smoker, or know someone who is, and would genuinely like to be an ex-smoker and have tried various methods and failed, then give the e-cigs a try. If they work for me - a smoker of 50 years - then they will work for just about anyone.

Good luck...........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Good for you (and your son)!! I have a friend that uses the e-cig. I haven't talked to him in a while to know how he's doing with it. I'll have to check up on him.

I do have a dear friend that is in her early 70's and has been smoking since she was about 12. She has tried Chantix, the patch and recently she did the hypnosis. If the hypnosis does not work for her I am definitely going to suggest the e-cig to her.

Good luck!!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

YEAH!!!!!

Congrats, It's a tough habit to crack and I am proud of you.

Good for you, Ellie. And a pat on the back to your son, as well. Feel free to deliver that!

Well done! I've tried patches, and they do work for me, at least half the day. Just annoying they cost almost as much as cigarettes! I've been smoking around 15 a day for a long time, but in the last few days, I've been down to 6. I want to quit mainly to get healthier, but also to save money. A friend of mine is using the e-cigarettes and I'm considering it, too. There are so many different ones, aren't there? Which ones to choose? I normally smoke Marlboro light. Hmm!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Congratulations, Ellie, we are so proud of you! You are doing yourself, and the world, a lot of good by quitting! Have you begun to notice your sense of smell returning yet? That was one big thing Dad noticed when he quit, years ago.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Well done! I've tried patches, and they do work for me, at least half the day. Just annoying they cost almost as much as cigarettes! I've been smoking around 15 a day for a long time, but in the last few days, I've been down to 6. I want to quit mainly to get healthier, but also to save money. A friend of mine is using the e-cigarettes and I'm considering it, too. There are so many different ones, aren't there? Which ones to choose? I normally smoke Marlboro light. Hmm!
    You would probably do good with the e-cigs Randi, and it would be a whole lot cheaper too. There are a lot of different brands, and tons of different flavors too. I smoked menthol, so was just looking for a good menthol flavor. I use the V2 brand, but you can find many different ones just by checking on line. I tried a sample pack of some different flavors too - grape, cola, mint tea, vanilla, etc. The only one I liked in the specialty flavors was coffee - really quite good - and a break from the menthol all the time. There is even a store near where my son works that sells all different brands and custom flavors - some are really ridiculous. I'll stick with the basic since it's doing the job that I want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Congratulations, Ellie, we are so proud of you! You are doing yourself, and the world, a lot of good by quitting! Have you begun to notice your sense of smell returning yet? That was one big thing Dad noticed when he quit, years ago.
    It has definitely improved my sense of taste. I'm eating so good again that I've gained back almost all of the 10+ pounds that I lost last summer and couldn't put back on. I've broken the 100 pound barrier again!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Congratulations, Ellie! Well done!!!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Great job! Congratulations!

Good job! That is a major accomplishment! My husband quite 19 years ago between our two kids, his brother still smokes I will have to tell him to try the e cigarette, I didn't realize there is steam to inhale that is interesting.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Good for you Ellie!!! You should be very proud of yourself!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Congrats to YOU! I am an x-smoker and it is a hard habit to break. I have been seeing the ads on TV about this. What a great invention! Now you will save money and breathe easier!

Congratulations - from one former smoker to another!!

I quit 15 years ago when I had pneumonia. I was so sick for about a week that I never thought about smoking. By the time I did, I was over the worst of the physical cravings.

It gets easier as the days go by

Thanks everyone. It definitely is a major accomplishment - one I wish that could have come about many years ago. It's really sad to think of the money I burned for all of those years.

The odd thing about these e-cigs tho, is that they are NOT advertised as a cessation tool. Why on earth would anyone want to smoke them otherwise??? To each his own, I suppose.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Congrats!!! I've never been a smoker but I've seen many people at work try to quit and then relapse several times before they were finally able to quit for good. I hope that your health will continue to improve. Good luck.