Thread: Sydney

Sydney

Hi, I'm certain some of you remember my parents black schnauzer, Sydney. She is the same age as Nebo, 10 turning 11 in june. Up till this point she was pretty healthy, slowing down a bit and she had a lot of fatty lumps which the vet said weren't anything to worry about but otherwise in good health. A couple of months ago she started losing weight my parents thought that it was because they changed her food. So they changed her food back to what she was eating before and she kept losing weight, while still having a good appetite. Then she started acting like she couldn't bark right it sounded weird. They had just had her teeth cleaned a couple of weeks ago and did bloodwork which showed nothing wrong but they decided to take her to the vet again. They did bloodwork again which showed nothing again so they did an x-ray. They found a large mass in her chest cavity. It is pushing on her lungs which is the reason for the issue barking. It must be very fast growing and aggressive because she was pretty much breathing normally when they took her, that was a week or so ago. I saw her yesterday and it's way worse. The vet told them to just let her stay as long as she's acting happy, eating, etc. if she stops eating it will be really bad because she's skin and bones as it is. It didn't sound like removing it was an option. They didn't do any testing but I believe the assumption is that it is cancer. When I saw her yesterday she seemed in good spirits she wagged her tail and was walking around fine, eating and drinking. But it's so hard to watch her breathe. :/ It's short, fast breaths, I guess she is only at 30% lung function. She doesn't make any noise breathing, her mouth is closed, she's not gasping or anything, you can just watch her chest go in and out constantly. It probably looks even worse because of how skinny she is. My parents are wondering what they should do, if it's time or not. I don't know, she still seems happy and they said she gets all excited to go for car rides still. She is eating and drinking well. But it can't be comfortable to have to breathe like that. They have her on medication to help if she has any fluid in her lungs and it doesn't seem to be making a difference. So keep poor Sydney in your thoughts I wasn't expecting this so soon, 10 is not very old especially for a dog her size.

Aww, Sydney will be in our prayers! Hopefully something can be done to at least shrink the tumor!
    I've Been Frosted

I'll keep Sydney in my prayers. Your parents will know it's time when Sydney isn't enjoying life anymore. It's so hard.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Awww, I'm sorry to hear that. I remember Sydney. She was included in some of your earlier pictures with your pups.
    As long as she's eating & drinking normally & not in distress, that's good, isn't it? Prayers that she is able to spend a long
    time yet being a happy girl.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

After talking to my dad today it sounds like she's getting worse really fast. She's coughing now too and having a hard time getting up. They are probably going to be putting her down sometime this week.

Aww, the whole family will be in our prayers. Dogs do tend to hide any symptoms until it can be too late to treat the cause, which is tragic.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    After talking to my dad today it sounds like she's getting worse really fast. She's coughing now too and having a hard time getting up. They are probably going to be putting her down sometime this week.
    I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Amy, i am so, so so sorry for you and your family. These decisions are the very hardest in all the world.

Such sad news, my heart goes out to you all.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    So sorry to hear this. It always breaks my heart and brings back my own painful memories when I read of other people's pups and kits that will be leaving for Rainbow Bridge. But we have to do the "right thing" for our beloved furkids, no matter how painful it is for us, their people.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh goodness, I am so sorry to hear this. I'll keep Sydney and the whole family in my thoughts.

I am so sorry to hear what your family and you are going through. This is always the hard part of owning a pet but for their sake we have to do what's right for them . Will keep your family and Sydney in my prayers.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Sydney is at the RB now, thanks everyone for keeping her in your thoughts and prayers. She was very loved and is missed.

Our sincerest condolences to your whole family, Amy! But just think - she's meet up with Jackie's Daisy and Perry up there, and what a fun Mini Schnauzer conference they will have!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    Sydney is at the RB now, thanks everyone for keeping her in your thoughts and prayers. She was very loved and is missed.
    I'm so sorry to hear this. RIP sweet Sydney. Please take care. (((HUGS)))