Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethan update (post #36)

Ethan update (post #36)

I haven't been active much lately, partially because of Ethan's health.
    He has had a ton of issues with bladder infections this past year. About a month ago he got yet another, was put on antibiotics and seemingly got better. Although his bladder issue was resolved, he began losing weight despite me doubling what I normally fed him. Back to the vet we went and he got put on another round of antibiotics for what seemed to be a mild bacterial infection. He was around 22 lbs when weighed (his normal is more like 30-32 lbs). We finished the meds up and he is the same, this time with his appetite deteriorating and his legs starting to swell.

We had yet ANOTHER visit to the vet (as many of you know first-hand... its really adding up!). This time bloodwork and xrays. Bloodwork comes back pretty darn nice considering his age and condition. A few things were low, but nothing that raised any eyebrows (one was protein, thats all I remember). His xrays didn't show anything to be concerned about, either. Kidneys are fine, heart is fine, etc.

The vet isn't sure exactly what is causing Ethan's issues. It could be a number of things. He suspects a virus, but says there is a chance of it being intestinal lymphoma. He is on the appropriate meds to fight the suspected virus and is staying at my sister's house for the weekend so he can be closer to the vet's office if he gets any worse (the vet we use is an hour drive from here). On Monday he will have another checkup to see how things are going. Basically, if it turns out to not be a virus, then the next step is exploratory surgery to take a biopsy.

Its so weird to not have Ethan here at the house! I know my sister is taking great care of him, but still... I miss my baby!
    Anyway, if you could send some good vibes Ethan's way that would be great. He could use all that he can get!

Here's my little bibbles taken yesterday. This picture doesn't show just how skinny he is. When he lays on his side its just ribs.
    Lately I've taken to lovingly calling him Skeletor.
    Last edited by Casper; 05-07-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Aww, we can tell he's way too skinny, poor guy! He'll be in our prayers!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks, Karen. My sister told me that today he is doing pretty well. He didn't want to eat any dog food, but he took full advantage of a healthy offering of chicken breast and some other human foods. As long as he's eating something, then I'm happy!

Oh poor Ethan. Pawsitive thoughts and prayers that the vet finds out what's wrong with him and he gets better.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Will say lots of prayers for Ethan. Not knowing how to help is the worst. Will say a prayer for you too.

Prayers for Ethan from us too. I hope the trouble is pin pointed & he begins to feel & eat better soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I think for now, don't even offer dog food, just good quality protein and some safe veggies, and see how it goes! Obviously chicken is approved!
    I've Been Frosted

Best wishes for Ethan! I hope the anti-viral does the job. <3
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I am so sorry to have missed this! Prayers and thoughts for Ethan and I will go light a candle too.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks for all the PT prayers, I think they're helping! I talked to my sister last night and she says Ethan is doing better. She has been checking his temperature and says that it has returned to normal. He is also starting to get his strength back, as he is able to go up and down the stairs on his own and is starting to play with the other dogs there.
    Today he will have a checkup with the doctor to see how he is doing. Fingers crossed that he checks out well enough to come home!
    This house is way too quiet without him...

Again, thanks a bunch for keeping my boy in your thoughts. Its means a lot!

Aww, I'm just seeing this. I am glad to hear he is doing better today. I hope he continues to improve and gets the OK from the doctor and can come home with you.

Get better Ethan!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Well, Ethan had his checkup and he gets to come home tomorrow!!

Turns out he might have had distemper, not a for sure thing... whatever it was, he seems to be well on his way to recovery. Apparantly he is up to around 25 lbs and the swelling in his legs is almost gone. I can't wait until tomorrow. I miss my little guy sooo bad, and he's starting to wear out his welcome at my sister's by hogging the bed and barking at the wind all day. Thats my boy!

Yay!! This is great news!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Wow, so glad Ethan is doing much better now. I know he'll love to be home as much as you want him there.
    I hope he continues to get better & better.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Keep getting better Ethan!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla