Thread: Need info from anyone whose dog has had treatment for arthritis

Need info from anyone whose dog has had treatment for arthritis

Hi guys, I remember some time ago reading about one of the PT dogs that was getting treatment for arthritis (joint pain, stiffness etc) and the med that was being used was quite effective. I cannot remember what that med is. This is not for Artica but for a 12 year old lab who belongs to the mother of a friend of my husband. I told her I remembered about a member's dog who was having success on a drug and that I would find out what it was for her. Once I find out the name I will check with my own vet to see if it is available here or if there is an equivalent here that can be tried for Kiera. Thanks in advance. I appreciate any and all help you guys can give me.

Michelle

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Myndi has arthritis in her spine and legs, and takes Tramadol (Ultram and several other names too) for the pain, and has for several years. It is listed as a "narcotic-like" drug - whatever that means - and is available only by prescription. She has done fairly well on it, tho I know the arthritis is getting the best of her, since she is having more difficulty getting up and getting going lately, than she used to. There are quite a few other meds that are effective with pain/arthritis issues, but she can't take any of them because of her sensitive tummy. She had a bleeding ulcer and nearly died a few years ago just from being on baby aspirin for a very short period of time.

If Sandie (Freedom) sees this thread, I'm sure she will have a lot of additional info for you, since she has dealt with this issue and is a walking medical journal for dogs and cats. I've learned a lot from her!

BTW - Myndi also takes glucosamine/chrondroitin for her joints, but I don't know how much good that is doing anymore - she's 17 years old. It can't hurt to leave her on it, and I would be hesitant to take her off of it now anyway.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Lady was on meloxicam for the last 1 1/2 years, did well on the drug, it helps with a cranky shoulder tremendously.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Adequan is injectable glucosamine and chondroitin. I rave about it, it helped RB Marlin so much and now Willy is on it and also doing very well.

There is a 'loading' period; two shots per week for 4 weeks. After that, you move to 'maintenance' which is once a month. If you are able to gi e injections I gave my Dad his insulin shots for diabetes, so I was already used to giving injections) a vet tech can teach you how to give the shots at home. Most vets insist the dog come in for the loading shots, but after that, you can do the monthly ones at home.

Marlin was diagnosed with hip dysplasia, and arthritis set in as is typical for that. Marlin loved to jump up on the sofa, but was no longer able to. Once on the shots, he could get up again himself. About 3 or 4 days before his next monthly shot was due, he couldn't jump up again and would whine and fuss until I went over and gave him a boost up. Within 20 minutes of his next monthly shot, he was able to jump up on his own again.

Willy had x rays of his spine, hips and knees. No issues other than arthritis in hips and knees, left side much worse than right side. (His spine was all fine no arthritis). The reason for the x rays was that he was no longer able to do his Agility class; just walked up to a jump and stood there. Once on the Adequan, he resumed Agility and even entered a competition - and won 3 first place ribbons!

Adequan comes for horses - equine - and dogs - canine. There may be others, those are the 2 I know. Taking Marlin in to the vet for his monthly shot was $47 - and THAT was with a tech giving the shot. I could purchase a vial online from Drs Foster & Smith for $68, and it held enough for 12 months of shots -- based on Marlin's dose. The dose is based on the dog's weight. Anyway my point is, it was a HUGE savings for me to buy it online and give the shots myself. My vet 'donated' the 12 syringes for me!

Willy will try to bite me, I can't give his shots at home, so in we go once a month. BUT I still purchase it myself, and take it in with me, so the visit is just $12 as the meds are mine. Still a savings! I just make sure the vet writes the prescription for Adequan (canine), so I get the right version.

Don't know if your friend can order from Dr. Foster and Smith but maybe there are other options there, so look into it.

Thank you all for the information. I am going to do some research and get the name of these in Italy along with the active ingredients and then forward it on to my vet to find out if any are available here. The only thing they suggested for Kiera was cortisone shots. Big big thanks to you all. You all ROCK!!! Will let you know what we find out and what the course will be for Kiera. Next time I am there I will get a photo of her with her person.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica