Thread: Ebay shopping

Ebay shopping

Just bought a trumpet for my son, who will be going into 4th grade.

Odd(and annoying) thing I noticed is that there are knock off "brand name" horns going on sale there, i.e. pro model horns (schilke, for instance) being duped and sold as shilke (minus the "c"). It strikes me as odd that this has been going on continuously and ebay does nothing about it. Caveat emptor, but as a former semi-pro musician I know the difference, but what about people who don't?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Hopefully, if the horn is not good quality, the people who buy the knock-off will be able to return it for a refund ... But if they are non-musicians, they might not notice!
    I've Been Frosted

The difference is about $1500 in price, and if you're not careful, you could be.....unhappy.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Caveat Emptor: Buyer Beware.

I'm sure the Sellers do this on purpose, hoping Buyers consider it a 'typo.'

It's on purpose, in 99.999999999999999999999% of the cases I've seen it's a chinese knock-off, just like in many other industries.

I've seen incredibly obviously fake fossils on there, or at least what I thought were fake, for about $200+. Being a Newbie in that type of market, I did my research and read many many articles about fakes being sold. I don't think I'd ever buy something like that from Ebay, way too risky for way too much.

I don't get why Ebay doesn't do anything about it. I would bet it's because they make money off it as well, as I think it costs money to put something up for sale. But maybe they also don't have the time to sift through hundreds of fake items which I am sure are sold and bought every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    I've seen incredibly obviously fake fossils on there, or at least what I thought were fake, for about $200+. Being a Newbie in that type of market, I did my research and read many many articles about fakes being sold. I don't think I'd ever buy something like that from Ebay, way too risky for way too much.

I don't get why Ebay doesn't do anything about it. I would bet it's because they make money off it as well, as I think it costs money to put something up for sale. But maybe they also don't have the time to sift through hundreds of fake items which I am sure are sold and bought every day.
    Me either, its clearly fraud.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is...

Macy’s Accidentally Sells $1500 Diamond Necklace For $47
    Macy's most recent catalog contained a pretty jaw-dropping deal: a diamond necklace with an original price of $1500 was advertised on sale for $47.

The only problem? The sale price was a typo. The necklace was supposed to be $479 on sale. Some poor copy-editor is probably getting fired as we speak.

A number of customers were able to buy the necklace at the $47 price (Macy's eventually cottoned on to the mistake and posted signs at its jewelry counters apologizing for the error and listing the correct price).
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I once saw a book listed as costing a penny in the book store. Never heard of it, it was some unpopular author and a werewolf romance novel. It was a misprint but the lady at the counter said she has to sell it to me for the listed price. It turned out to be a decent book for 1 cent!

It does not cost anything to list something, but it does if you actually sell it. And while I am sure eBay has a raft on lawyers on hand, they cannot be expected to know what's fake or not without the help of consumers!
    I've Been Frosted

It is not fraud, as it really IS a "shilke" just as described. The description is accurate. Nothing ebay can prevent by law.

And very frustrating!

The difference is Gucci can has enough notoriety and enough lawyers to intimidate the US Dept. of Commerce into going after the counterfeiters, and Schilke doesn't.

Try that with a purse and your good are impounded and you're under arrest, and all over the splash page of CNN. (all pigs are equal, it's just that some is mo equal than others)

I'd be afraid of the knockoff brass; I'd bet my morning coffee that there's lead in there and would eventually poison the musician using it!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb