Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bartie and Elan issues...

Bartie and Elan issues...

Both are getting along great. However, both are having health issues.

Bartie started vomiting and Elan is projectile vomiting on a regular basis.

I spoke to Bartie's vet and she said we're out of options for B. She told me to stop giving him his meds for a few days then start them up again. She thinks the intestinal lymphoma has gotten worse. She doesn't think he's in any pain. He's still eating, drinking and using the box so I'm not too concerned. It's been 5 days since he had his meds and hasn't barfed once. He seems very content and I wonder if I should put him back on them.

Elan on the other hand, is vomiting a LOT and on a very regular basis. It's not his thyroid because tests revealed normal levels. His liver enzymes are through the roof. The vet who saw him says that could indicate cancer. All I can do for him is keep him fed and comfortable. He's not eating very much, if at all. My gut feeling tells me that it's only a matter of time.
    Last edited by moosmom; 02-18-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Glad to learn Bartie is doing better with a break in his meds.

So sorry re Elan.

I know humans and canines can take milk thistle to help cleanse the liver. I do not know about cats. You may want to research that online.

I am glad Bartie is doing.

Elan - that beautiful boy - I wish there was something to be done for him to help him. Would mild steroids help for a while?

It's an old saying here, Donna - but you took in these two older boys and thank God they knew your love and caring for whatever time they have left.

I pray that somehow Elan can have a turnaround.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

No advice, just thoughts for your situation. Sometimes, Donna, your best is all you can do, with no promises of the outcome. You are giving them hard, core, love. That means a lot.

I'm happy to hear that Bartie is doing better without the meds. Some special prayers are being prayed for Elan.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    No advice, just thoughts for your situation. Sometimes, Donna, your best is all you can do, with no promises of the outcome. You are giving them hard core, love. That means a lot.
    My thoughts exactly. Thank you for your care of these kitties, Donna.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

God bless you, Donna, for all the love and care you are giving these two very special kitties, and God bless Bartie and Elan for having you there filling the rest of their lives with all that love and care they deserve so very much.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I too wish I could offer some ideas for Bartie and Elan.
    All we can offer is prayers from all of us at The Found Cat Hotel and from our Awesome Angels for their health.
    An Awesome Angels Army Visitor's Squad will visit and see if they can help out.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Prayers for these two very special senior kitty-zens
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Sorry to hear Bartie and Elan are ill. Like Johanna said, sometimes all you can do is love them. Thinking of you all!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I am missing Bartie SOOOO much, to the point of questioning my helping him cross to the Rainbow Bridge. I know deep in my heart that I did the right thing by him, given all his issues and the fact that they found cancerous lesions throughout his liver. But I still find myself questioning my decision.

Elan is doing great, although my 19 year old man has started peeing and pooping outside the box. The vet says his blood work is within normal limits. He suggested that maybe he's having difficulty getting in and out of my litter "bins" that are pretty high. The poor old man has been using the wee-wee pads. So, I went out and bought a black plastic cement mixing tub. It's low and holds a lot of litter. I put it in my shower as that is where he seems to go most of the time.

I'm pet sitting till Friday. I closed him in my tiny bathroom last night while I was away, with a medium litterbox in the shower and he used it. So today, I left him out of the bathroom to see what happens. If this doesn't work, I'll have to close him in the bathroom when I'm not home. When I left this afternoon, he was curled up on the heated throw with all his buddies.

I've committed to Elan to take care of him in his later years, and I'm sticking to it. I love him so much!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Aww, sounds like the low letterbox may be the answer! Thank goodness you are a kitty-only house!
    I've Been Frosted

I am so sorry to read this; my heart goes out to you. I live in fear of the day when my crew gets old, knowing all that can go wrong. You are a good person, and your love and compassion WILL be rewarded.

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

I know how much you miss Bartie but you really did do the right thing even though it's such a difficult decision to make. I'm glad to hear that Elan is doing well and hopefully the new lower litter box will do the trick. Good luck.

Oh Donna, big hugs to you as you second-guess your decision about Bartie.. You did the right thing, and it is always hard, isn't it. He is at the Rainbow Bridge, whole and healthy again, sending down his love to you.

And isn't Elan a delight! The new low litterbox sounds like just the ticket. Meanwhile, how nice to think of him curled up on the heated throw with all his buddies.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and ,
    Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery