Thread: Please remember those lost on the "Date that will live in infamy"

Please remember those lost on the "Date that will live in infamy"

Please keep all those veterans who gave their lives on December 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor, HI. I have a special place in my heart for WWII vets since my dad is one.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

I nearly forgot today was Pearl Harbor Day, thanks for the reminder, Mugs! I will be reflecting on what they gave up for us, at this special time of year.

My grandfather fought in PH, there is no way I can forget that! Thanks for starting this thread.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Whenever December 7 falls on a school day, I always make a big deal about it at school. I write it on the board in VERY large letters and it generally leads to a pretty good discussion. My dad wasn't at PH, he was a pilot and flew B-17s (the Flying Fortress) and was stationed out of Knettishall, England.

Thanks for the reminder. My dad was in the Pacific, too.

Naive question, but maybe one of you here can help me. My mom's uncle served in the Pacific, too, and there is a family story that he was one of the survivors of the Bataan Death March. I never thought to ask him about this when he or his widow were still alive, and now I don't know how to start checking -- I'm documenting a family history (some of the stories are accurate, more aren't... ) and would like to include his war records, if possible. Has anyone, especially the genealogists here, done this for their family and have any 'lessons learned' they are willing to share?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

You have come to the right place AmberLee...I do genealogy (in fact I'm back to 1390 on one line from my mom's side). You can write to the national archives and get his war records. If the price hasn't gone up, it's $10 to get them. There's a form to fill out and I don't know if it's available online or not, but your library should have them and if not, you could contact the VFW or American Legion and see if they have the form

Thanks for the info and for the clarifying PM. I'd like to see him get recognition for what he went through.

Regards!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Today is also my parent's wedding anniversary ... what a day to have a wedding planned, huh ... Pearl Harbor Day?!

Mugsy ... Wow, 1390?! That's astounding! We've gone back to 1512, and thought that was good!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

On a similar note, my Great Aunt's wedding anniversary was November 11th. I always thought - how strange, to get married on Veteran's Day, but of course November 11th wasn't designated that until after she got married!

A dear friend of mine's birthday is today, and she happend to be Chinese - which was a weird coincidence, as she was the only Asian of any sort where we worked at one time.

never forget december 7th...

i was just a little girl that dec 7th, but it became imprinted in my memory.....i remember also when the war ended.....by all the memories i have revolving around it......i was talking to cataholic and i mentioned to her it was dec 7th and she told me you had started a thread.....somehow yesterday i had missed it....it is always strange to me how little it is remembered each year....how strange our priorities.....or perhaps it is because it is so long ago.....and only the older of us can relate......i really dont know. i teach also, but lst grade so dont get to examine that date as you do. thanks again mugsy!

OH trust me!! When 8th graders leave Shawnee Middle School, they KNOW about December 7. In 7th grade the Social Studies teachers spend a lot of time on WWII and then in 8th grade, the other 8th grade Social Studies teacher and I hammer it into their heads. Between the 2 of us, the kids get a healthy dose of respect for veterans and all that they do and have done for us. I beat it into them about respect for the flag and respect for veterans and all that they sacrifice so THEY can sit home on their butts and play Play Station 2 and talk on the internet.

I'm sure I'm making some people mad on here with my views, but, they're my views and the veterans of this country have helped make it possible for me to voice those opinions, so...if I make them mad...I guess...so be it.

Sorry, but this subject is as important to me as my animals and their rights.