Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turtle beads!

Turtle beads!

I have a small obsession with sea turtles and their conservation. The organization currently getting all my charitable donation money is the Sea Turtle Conservancy in Costa Rica.

I've been trying to make sea turtle beads for quite awhile, but most of them have sucked! Another bead maker graciously shared a technique with me that I tried a few days ago.

These three turtles came out of my kiln yesterday! I love them! They aren't quite as good as I'd like them to be, but I have figure out how to get there now!

This one is my favourite!

This is just the rest of what was hiding in my kiln with the turtles!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Oh, those are beautiful! Well done!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

They are lovely! I especially like the brown one. Half of my sister's jewelry involves turtles.... she would be drooling over these!

They are so gorgeous, and I love the fact that you can tell they are different kinds of turtles - the olive one looks quite like an Olive Ridley's Sea Turtle!

How big are they?
    I've Been Frosted

Are you kidding me? How can these get any better?

I love them, gorgeous! I was actually taking a look at your shop the other day, Tamara! I will be looking closer to next Christmas, my sister would LOVE your jewelry. I LOVE these though, absolutely gorgeous.

Look lovely! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    How big are they?
    Thanks everyone....

They are about two and a half inches long and an inch or so across including the front flippers.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Okay, was curious. They look like they might be fragile if they were bigger than that!
    I've Been Frosted

Wow, these are gorgeous! I love turtles. You did an awesome job!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

They are beautiful
    I love turtles.
    What are you making with them?

Those are beautiful! My daughter is doing study abroad this summer in Costa Rica, or at least she has applied, I may have a few questions for you. She was asking me if her ATM will work there, do you know? I may have more questions if you don't mind.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Those are beautiful! My daughter is doing study abroad this summer in Costa Rica, or at least she has applied, I may have a few questions for you. She was asking me if her ATM will work there, do you know? I may have more questions if you don't mind.
    I don't mind at all...ask away! I love Costa Rica!

As long as she's not somewhere way off the beaten track, her ATM card will work fine most of the time. There are no ATM machines or even a bank in Tortuguero, but they are plentiful everywhere else I've been there. Occasionally I've had to try a few machines before finding one that was working! She should let her bank know she's going to CR so they don't shut her card down! Also she should check into what her bank charges for international withdrawals. Depending on which account I'm using it can be up to 5 bucks per transaction with my bank! If her pin number is longer than 4 numbers she needs to change it. Bank machines in CR only take 4 digit pins. Most give out both US dollars and Costa Rican Colones. The US dollar is accepted just about everywhere, although you are more likely to get charged a "gringo rate" if using them to pay for something that is priced in colones! The exchange rate flucuates a bit, but generally 500 colones is equal to 1 US dollar. If you pay in dollars, you'll usually get your change in colones.
    --John Irving

Those are beautiful!

They're gorgeous. I think you did a great job and I'm sure that you'd be able to sell a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    I don't mind at all...ask away! I love Costa Rica!

As long as she's not somewhere way off the beaten track, her ATM card will work fine most of the time. There are no ATM machines or even a bank in Tortuguero, but they are plentiful everywhere else I've been there. Occasionally I've had to try a few machines before finding one that was working! She should let her bank know she's going to CR so they don't shut her card down! Also she should check into what her bank charges for international withdrawals. Depending on which account I'm using it can be up to 5 bucks per transaction with my bank! If her pin number is longer than 4 numbers she needs to change it. Bank machines in CR only take 4 digit pins. Most give out both US dollars and Costa Rican Colones. The US dollar is accepted just about everywhere, although you are more likely to get charged a "gringo rate" if using them to pay for something that is priced in colones! The exchange rate flucuates a bit, but generally 500 colones is equal to 1 US dollar. If you pay in dollars, you'll usually get your change in colones.
    Thank you so much for the info!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!