Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Merlin

I'm so sorry about Merlin. Feed him anything he wants and massively love on him, as I'm sure you will.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Slick, I'm so sorry to hear this, I know what you're going through. Keep Merlin as comfortable a you can and give him lots of love... I know you will.

Kisses and positive thoughts to Merlin - and big ((((hugs)))) to you!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Very sad results indeed. My heart goes out to you dear lady. Sending warmest love & hugs for you both.

Slick, I mentioned this to the vets today on the Ask the Vets radio show, and they talked quite a bit about his cancer, and what you can do to keep him comfiest in his remaining time with you. I'll email you the audio files when I get them, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Slick, I mentioned this to the vets today on the Ask the Vets radio show, and they talked quite a bit about his cancer, and what you can do to keep him comfiest in his remaining time with you. I'll email you the audio files when I get them, okay?
    Karen, thank you so very much. He is still eating well but I can see signs of slight struggle when swallowing. I sure wish I could get that radio show up here. Do you happen to know what extension the audio files will have? Just want to make sure I am able to open it. Thanks again. Now it's time for Merlin's Magical Blend (that's what I call the med combo).
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Karen, thank you so very much. He is still eating well but I can see signs of slight struggle when swallowing. I sure wish I could get that radio show up here. Do you happen to know what extension the audio files will have? Just want to make sure I am able to open it. Thanks again. Now it's time for Merlin's Magical Blend (that's what I call the med combo).
    They are mp3 files. Most everyone can open them!
    I've Been Frosted

Uppydate

The doses of antibiotic and steroid will be finished tomorrow and I don't plan on renewing it. Today I stopped by the vets to pick up some more pain medication as it seems to be working. Last night he was actually playing with his catnip pillow for a bit. His output is good and his input is adequate. I feed him whatever he wants and whenever he wants it. He deserves that now.

Tonight I'm going to give him a bit of my short ribs - all chopped up of course.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

Aww, glad to hear he's doing well, all things considered!
    I've Been Frosted

Good boy, Merlin, your Meowmie loves you very, very much. We are so glad the pain medication is working and you are enjoying your food and playing with your catnip pillow.

We love you very, very much too, darling Merlin. We are sending all our love and prayers to you.

P.S., your beloved Sparkler especially sends her love.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

MMmmm all that yummy food, and you so deserve it!

Slick - just wondering about the steroids. Are they a 'comfort' drug - do they shrink the tumour a tad so Merlin can swallow more easily? I can see stopping the ABs, just wondering where the steroids fit in.

Please give Merlin hugs and scritchies and kisses from me - and yourself a hugs!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Catty: The steroids are supposed to help shrink the tumour. Honestly, I don't see the point as technically he's at stage 4 and there really isn't anything we can do for him except keep him as comfortable as possible with the pain med. I do see signs of struggle when eating and today he has not eaten very much at all.

The antibiotics are usually prescribed after tooth extractions and he's had his dosage so I feel comfortable in stopping that one.

He can still jump on and off the couch and he still uses the litter box OK but if he continues to struggle to eat then I fear I may have to make a decision sooner rather than later.
    --unknown

--Polar Express

That was what helped me to determine when to let Morgan go. When I got the terminal diagnosis, I made up my mind then that I was not going to let him suffer at all. I didn't think it was fair to him and I didn't want to remember him suffering at all. We tried the pain medicine. He absolutely hated getting it. He loved his food, but as soon as I saw that the tumor was affecting his ability to eat, even preventing him from doing so, I knew that was time to say good bye. We had great times together in those few weeks after his cancer was confirmed. I even stayed home from a trip to Disney to be with him. I don't regret it a bit. We spent quality time together that I will always cherish. I wish the same for you and Merlin. I'm so sad thinking of you going through this with your baby.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Slick, I'm sorry not to have commented more earlier; Moesha and I have been through this together and it's hard. I lost my kitty Jamara to this almost 12 years ago and it feels like yesterday. Please take all cues from Merlin - he will let you know if you're open to listen. I was not. I was selfish and wanted my baby with me (I knew I couldn't get through this without tears...) and I think timing would have been different if I had listened. Please PM me if you want to talk, or message me on FB, give me your number and I'll call.

Much love - Maggie.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

{{{hugs}}} Slick. More kissies and cuddles from me for Merlin...as many as he'll take.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Slick, as you know I've also been through this with my beloved Sunny. I was the one that found the lump in his lower jaw. I had asked my vet about using pred but she said it wouldn't work in his case but I could try a different drug that would them probably cause kidney disease. I didn't want to go through this with him so I never tried it. My vet estimated that he had about 3 months left. I had to say goodbye to him a bit sooner because he was having problems eating or he'd throw up his food shortly after eating. He was losing weight and he was also showing signs of being in pain. I did give him some pain medicine but this made him very sleepy and not want to eat at all. Usually you can also tell by a cats eyes when it's time to let them go. I hope that Merlin will be able to be with you for a while longer. If you ever need to talk I'm only a pm away. Please take care. (((HUGS)))