Thread: Poppaea has a URI

Hybrid View

Poppaea has a URI

I just had her at the vet on Monday for blood work, to check on her kidneys. Things are pretty much the same there, and I continue to give her 100 ml of fluids and kidney wet food (Purina NF).

He diagnosed the URI and also a lower resp infection and gave me some Doxycycline to give her .35 ml every other day. I just gave her her third dose today. She still is weezing some. He wants to hear back from me today maybe see her again, or give her some more medication.

I have her in the bedroom with "my" cats, because she's been with them since she came down with this. I have my two fosters in the living room. I'm continuing to keep them separate because I don't want the fosters to pick up the URI. (They have a potential new home to go to in a couple of weeks.) They were just finishing medication for URIs when I brought them here from the Michigan Humane Society.

I don't know if Sparkler is catching that. (See my other message here in Cat Health about her appetite being off.) I don't have another place to isolate Poppaea, because I only have the two rooms, living room and bedroom.

Would the steam treatment that Karen's vets recommended for Mary's Coco Puff be helpful perhaps? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Pat (and cats)
    Last edited by phesina; 03-22-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Oh, dear Princess Poppaea! I hope you feel much better soon! The steam might help. :love

Edited to add a candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...g&cid=18171907
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 03-22-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Add candle
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I know the sound of a kitty with a respiratory infection well - it's a haunting sound. I'm sorry you have to hear it, and sorrier for poor Poppaea! I do not have groundbreaking suggestions, however. Pinot had a severe one with a viral disease when we first got her. The emergency vet had her for about 8 hours on IV fluid and meds which did a world of good. She wasn't completely cured, but it put her on the path. Those things take a bit of time to completely kick. {{{hugs}}}
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Thanks, Elyse and Maggie. I just got back from the vet's with Poppaea. He did a couple of x-rays. The good, GOOD, GOOD news: No Tumor! which he had suspected as a possibility, lymphoma or myeloma (?).

The not really that bad news, there is wear and tear showing on the cartilage connecting the ribs to the spine, which he said probably makes breathing harder or painful for her. This is an old-cat kind of development, and she's at least 18 years old, more likely 20 or more.

He told me to bump up the Azithromycin (not Doxicyclene) to each day over the weekend, and he gave her an injection of Depo-Medrol and said to call him on Monday with an update.

He also thought the steam treatment could help.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

I sure hope that the medicine will help her. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Thanks, Tracey!
    Death thought about it.