Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sparkler's appetite is off

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Well Gretchen - I guess people handle issues such as this, differently. I know I could never do what she is going to do, but that's just me. Last summer I elected not to go away anywhere because of Sparky's declining health. He was not in any absolute danger of passing within a specified time, but at the same time, he could have gone at any time. If I had gone away and he passed when I was gone, it would have devastated me and left me with guilt till the day I died. He (and Myndi) have always been there for me thru good and bad, and I needed to do the same for him - and will for Myndi when her time comes too.
    Like you, Ellie, I would never go away, knowing that one of my cats was seriously ill. For one, I would feel so guilty I wouldn't enjoy myself - even if communing with nature. It would be like leaving a sick child

Oh, I'm with you there, Gretchen and Ellie. I could never just go away when any one of my babies was seriously ill. If I was off "meditating" or "communing with nature," that's all I'd be thinking about including how guilty I'd feel if anything final did happen.

If Bear should need a vet trip (for any reason), I will get Mary on the phone before any decisions are made.. and if it looks like end-time, I'll call FROM the vet's so she can tell them herself what to do. Before she leaves I am going to find out from her just what instructions she is leaving with the vet in the event that I (or Amy, the person doing some of the morning visits) bring him in.

I thought it was interesting that she's going to have her cell phone with her during this deep retreat.. and now that I think of it, I'm going to ask her if it's going to be on all the time or if she's only going to check it from time to time and if so how often.

Bear is NOT going to be put down before Mary tells the vet to do so.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

My dearest Sparkler: You know how much I love you and I'll always be here for you. Send me a msg on my catberry if you want to talk. I would love to hear your sweet purr again.
    Much love always
    Merlin
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I would never be able to leave any of my animals if they were very sick or going to die soon. Since she'll be in a remote area, I wonder if her cell phone will even be able to work. I would also get everything in writing just in case you can't get a hold of her. Hopefully everything will go smoothly with this pet sitting job while she's away.

I started the petsitting job today. Bear so far has not wanted to go for walks. He's gone outside when I've arrived, presumably pees and I hope poops, but does NOT want to walk. I got him to come very short distances by kneeling on the grass maybe 10 feet away and calling him. He comes over and leans against me for me to pet him, but then when I stand up he just wants to head back to the house. He's eaten small amounts.

Tomorrow morning Amy will be there. I sent her an e-mail detailing what's happened so far. She does a lot of home maintenance and repair work for Mary regularly, so she knows the general lay of the land much better than I do at this point. I plan to talk with her tomorrow morning to see what she thinks, maybe even stop out there. And if we think Bear should see the vet, even if just to be checked out again, I want to get Mary in on this too and in on any decisions that might have to be made.

Mary took not just her cell phone but also her laptop (some withdrawal from the world!..). You're right, though.. depending on how remote the place is, will either of these even come in?

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    My dearest Sparkler: You know how much I love you and I'll always be here for you. Send me a msg on my catberry if you want to talk. I would love to hear your sweet purr again.
    Much love always
    Merlin
    Oh, my dearest Merlin!!!!!! It makes me so happy to read your message and imagine your sweet little pawsies tapping out the words! I'll be on the catberry right away, can't wait to exchange more purrs and lovies with you!!!!!

Your always-adoring sweet lady Sparkler
    Death thought about it.

Bear went to the Rainbow Bridge yesterday morning.

Rest in peace, darling Bear.
    Death thought about it.

Oh this is so sad. RIP Bear.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

Thank you, Vicki, and I know Bear thanks you too.

Death thought about it.

This is so sad and even sadder that his owner wasn't there with him. RIP sweet Bear.

Bless sweet Bear. He is healthy and happy at the Bridge. Wishing Bear and his owner peace.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

How is Sparkler doing? Is she eating?
    --unknown

--Polar Express

Oh, Sparkler is doing MUCH better, thank you, Vicki! She's been eating like a little horse.. she comes out much more into the "public" (i.e., places I can get to) areas..

Last week they put in the new windows in my apartment.. I took her and Poppy over to my sister's (and boarded the other three cats). Sparkler hid way back in the corner under the bookcase the whole time. I was afraid I would NOT be forgiven soon for this outrage, and indeed once we got back home she went straight back into the bedsprings.

But before long, she came out again.. so I guess I am back in her good graces after all that.

The job is not done yet, though, .. turns out there was a defective part on one of the BEDROOM windows.. and they have to ORDER the replacement. Could come in any day this week. Or maybe not until next. And then "it will just take five minutes to put it in!" .. but that means they will still need access to my bedroom to do that. (The bedroom is the normal place I stow the cats when any maintenance work has to be done in my place, but this is the first time the work is being done IN the bedroom, and I have no other space in the apartment so at least some cats have to go elsewhere.)

So I have to limit the cats on hand still. Yesterday I took Poppy and Elmer over to my sister's. I figure (hope) Sparkler will stay under the bed when strangers come in here, and if Bob and/or Poppaea come out, well two cats are allowable. .. I hope this works out all right...

Sparkler and I are both grieving beloved, sweet Merlin and are sending along our biggest hugs and purrs.
    Death thought about it.

I'm just catching up w/this, Pat. I hope Sparkler continues to improve. I don't have any advice for catching a cat. Yodie is my biggest challenge in that way, in every way, actually. LOL However, I have learned that, when I finally do catch her, I have the carrier standing on end w/the door open so that I can lower her into it and then quickly shut the door. It sure beats pushing her and having her push back and sometimes get out before I can close the door.

And I'm so sorry about Bear. When my RB Boo was sick, I had a ticket to go to L.A. to be w/The Boy for Thanksgiving and I bought emergency insurance just in case Boo got sick again before my trip. Well, he did get sick but I had to have him PTS, not b/c I wanted to take my trip but b/c it was his time.

I gave up my cat sitting business b/c I couldn't seem to get the interest of anyone who had less than 25 cats. The highest number was 37. I just couldn't deal w/that. Plus now, I'm up to my ears in cat drama. Sigh. LOL
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11