Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sparkler's appetite is off

I'm glad to hear that Sparkler is starting to come out. I live in a condo complex and we have annual fire alarm and smoke alarm testing. Since I have two bedrooms, I just put the 7 younger cats in the second bedroom which is a cat room and the oldest 3 stay in my bedroom. They all run and hide from the noise so no one even knows that I have cats. I also like to be home when repairs are being done. Sky used to get a bit overly friendly with repairmen in the past and bug them. The rest of my gang isn't used to company so most of them will just hide. I would think that you would be able to put most of your cats in a different room away from the windows that will be replaced. Good luck.

Thanks, Tracey. i'm really glad Sparkler is starting to act a little more like her "regular" self, too.

I only have two rooms (living room and bedroom) plus the small bathroom, and each has windows that will be replaced and will require workers inside the room as the window is done.

Also, according to my lease I am allowed to have only two pets. I have five cats plus the two fosters, so I could possibly keep two here and move them from room to room as needed, but the other five will have to be somewhere else. I will probably board them at a pet-boarding facility across town for the day.

I'm thinking of keeping Sparkler and Poppaea here.. I think being stuffed in carriers and then moved in the car across town and then put in a place full of the smells of lots of other animals and the sounds of dogs barking would be more frightening for them than just being moved from room to room, possibly in carriers, while the strange people and the loud noises are in the apartment. At least they'd be home and could get back to their usual territory once the workers are gone.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post

I'm thinking of keeping Sparkler and Poppaea here.. I think being stuffed in carriers and then moved in the car across town and then put in a place full of the smells of lots of other animals and the sounds of dogs barking would be more frightening for them than just being moved from room to room, possibly in carriers, while the strange people and the loud noises are in the apartment. At least they'd be home and could get back to their usual territory once the workers are gone.
    I think that's a wise thing to do. These ailing babies don't need the stress of moving & being in a strange place right now.It will be nice to have new windows.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks, Liz.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

To my eternal love Sparkler:
    My love, I'm so happy that you have decided to show yourself once in a while. Will your Meowmie give you more treats if you come out? For some reason, now I get all the treats I want and that my ailing body can handle. All I have to do is look at her with loving eyes and she gives in every time. I wish I was there to be with you when the workmen arrive. We could swing in your hammock together and I could keep you safe. Oh well, we will just have to dream of each other until we meet again.
    Your love always
    Merlin
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Oh, my beloved sweetie Merlin, I wish you could swing in my hammock with me too! I love you so much. I am feeling much better now. All your love and good wishes have worked! I love you so very, very, very much!!!!

Love always from your dearest Sparkler
    Death thought about it.

More complications, re: the window job

They have started the work on the windows, doing the upstairs apartments first, one apartment at a time.

Looks like they are not doing them a room at a time.. they remove all the windows in the apartment, then I guess prep the window frames, then install all the new windows. So even if I don't board Poppaea and Sparkler, I'll still need to take them somewhere else while my apartment is being done. Maybe I can put them in my car, cover their carriers with blankets, and put the car in the carport so the sun isn't beating down on it.

Or it may be easier just to board them with the other five. Something else I have to do after I get the cats out and before they start the window work: move everything by the windows back at least two feet so the workers have an open path to the window spaces in the apartment (they are working both inside and outside).
    Death thought about it.

They have started the work on the windows, doing the upstairs apartments first, one apartment at a time.

Looks like they are not doing them a room at a time.. they remove all the windows in the apartment, then I guess prep the window frames, then install all the new windows. So even if I don't board Poppaea and Sparkler, I'll still need to take them somewhere else while my apartment is being done. Maybe I can put them in my car, cover their carriers with blankets, and put the car in the carport so the sun isn't beating down on it.

Or it may be easier just to board them with the other five. Something else I have to do after I get the cats out and before they start the window work: move everything by the windows back at least two feet so the workers have an open path to the window spaces in the apartment (they are working both inside and outside).

Boy, it's always something, isn't it. Will they call you or tell you ahead of time before they show up to work on your windows? if it's just for a few hours, either of your options
    would work out don't you think? I know you'll be so glad when this is over.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks, Liz. My projected date is either next Monday or Tuesday. The management is supposed to notify me when they have it narrowed down or if it changes. I asked one of the window guys yesterday about how long it would take them to do one of the apartments like mine, and he said probably a couple of hours. So (assuming there are no problems) that shouldn't take too long, and maybe I can just keep Sparkler and Poppaea in the car.

Then, my two foster kitties, Kitty and Kellie, are supposed to be going to their Furrrever home next week, and I will be busy helping get them settled in..

And yet ANOTHER COMPLICATION: next week I have a petsitting job Sunday-Friday at a home way out in the country taking care of 5 cats and a dog.. and now it turns out the dog is terminally ill, with a grapefruit-size tumor on his spleen. He is still having good days, enjoying his nice long walks and being happy and friendly, but he could crash at any time, and I may have to deal with that, i.e., take him to the vet for his shot. Another person is doing some of the pet care too, and we will both be in on anything that might need to be done. His person will also be available by cell phone.

Anyway, all these things happening at once are very worrisome for me, and I will indeed be glad when it's all over!

Thanks again, Liz and everyone, and please keep the prayers and good wishes coming. God bless.

Death thought about it.

And yet ANOTHER COMPLICATION: next week I have a petsitting job Sunday-Friday at a home way out in the country taking care of 5 cats and a dog.. and now it turns out the dog is terminally ill, with a grapefruit-size tumor on his spleen. He is still having good days, enjoying his nice long walks and being happy and friendly, but he could crash at any time, and I may have to deal with that, i.e., take him to the vet for his shot. Another person is doing some of the pet care too, and we will both be in on anything that might need to be done. His person will also be available by cell phone.
    They are going away and leaving their dog who is terminally ill? He could crash at any time?

That sucks

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    They are going away and leaving their dog who is terminally ill? He could crash at any time?

That sucks
    Agreed! No way I could ever go away and leave one of my furkids if it was that seriously ill. To begin with - I wouldn't even be able to enjoy myself and would constantly worry about what was happening back at home!

Hoping that you don't have to deal with the inevitable, Pat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Thank you, Gretchen and Ellie. I have to say I agree with you both.

I've known Mary (the owner) and pet-sat for her for a long time. She has given Bear (the dog) and all her pets very good care and love and lives. Bear is 11+ years old and is a medium-size dog of mixed ancestry.

After I'd already said I would pet-sit, she later got ahold to update me, saying they'd been to the vet and "Bear is dying of cancer." I thought she was next going to say she was cancelling the trip. But rather, she asked me if I thought I would be up to handling what might possibly happen or if she should make other arrangements. She said he could have several good weeks (not months) yet, but he could go downhill fast. The vet gave her a list of signs and symptoms to watch for to bring him in.

I said I'd like to come out and see how Bear is and get a sense of things. Bear was so happy to see me! He and Mary and I took a nice long walk together. I've known him for a long time, and he's a really sweet dog. I felt that, if he does need to go to the Bridge while she's away, I would as soon be with him to say goodbye to him.

Mary said she has thought this through and gone over it with her vets and decided to go ahead with her trip, which is to some remote forest in California where she can be alone to commune with nature and meditate for a few days. She feels that her and Bear's long and good times doing so much together are more significant than a possible brief end-time apart. I guess she feels she really needs the time away and the solitude right now.

Today she said he's doing fairly well, good appetite, likes to walk, a little more in the way of frequent pees.. he seems happy and alert, no scares or downturns.

With luck he'll keep on keeping on like this and there won't be any emergencies.

What an additional headache with all this happening in the midst of the window-replacing and cat-boarding.. Sparkler and Poppy are going to be the hardest ones to catch for THAT..

Sigh, with luck all will go smoothly.. Meanwhile, thanks again, everyone, and again please keep the prayers and good wishes coming..

Death thought about it.

Thank you, Gretchen and Ellie. I have to say I agree with you both.

Mary said she has thought this through and gone over it with her vets and decided to go ahead with her trip, which is to some remote forest in California where she can be alone to commune with nature and meditate for a few days. She feels that her and Bear's long and good times doing so much together are more significant than a possible brief end-time apart. I guess she feels she really needs the time away and the solitude right now.
    Baloney!! I'm sorry, Pat, but you don't want to know what I am thinking of this woman right now. She should be there for Bear, and commune with nature later. What a load of crock!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Baloney!! I'm sorry, Pat, but you don't want to know what I am thinking of this woman right now. She should be there for Bear, and commune with nature later. What a load of crock!!
    Well Gretchen - I guess people handle issues such as this, differently. I know I could never do what she is going to do, but that's just me. Last summer I elected not to go away anywhere because of Sparky's declining health. He was not in any absolute danger of passing within a specified time, but at the same time, he could have gone at any time. If I had gone away and he passed when I was gone, it would have devastated me and left me with guilt till the day I died. He (and Myndi) have always been there for me thru good and bad, and I needed to do the same for him - and will for Myndi when her time comes too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Pat - just a thought or two.

You need to get it in writing, that she will not blame you if Bear should pass while in your care. Also, she needs to let the Vet know, in writing, that you have her permission to make end-of-life decisions for Bear.