Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My blue eyed boy Coco Puff

My blue eyed boy Coco Puff

I thought I was going to lose him last night. He has awful sinusitis and it's practically an ongoing condition. Last night as I was putting the Fur Posse to bed, I couldn't find him. He was in the basement in the praying position. His breathing was labored at best and, of course, Dr. Lee's clinic was closed. So I put him in bed w/me but he jumped down and wanted to sleep on the floor. His breathing turned into gurgling, then he let out a big sigh and then I heard nothing. Nothing at all. I jumped out of bed and bent down to listen to his breathing but I still couldn't hear anything so I shook him and, thankfully, he stirred. I thought I had heard the death rattle, so I didn't sleep a wink last night. Coco Puff never moved all night. He didn't eat, drink or use the litter box, so that scared me as well. I called Dr. Lee and told them to expect me in the morning and Dr. Lee told me that he doesn't have pneumonia but he has a severe URI and his nasal passages are filled w/mucous. So he gave him a Depo shot and one of Convenia and I'm to give him Clindamycin on top of that. I may end up having to put him on Prednisolone if he doesn't improve markedly but I really don't want to do that b/c I don't want him to get fat like Creamsicle did. However, if it's all I have to do to keep him somewhat healthy, I will. Sigh. This has been a crazy couple of months.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Poor boy and how scary for you. I hope that the meds will help him and that he'll recover quickly. My Sky was diagnosed with mild asthma but he doesn't need to be on any meds long term. He was put on pred short term and it did help him breathe easier but he would become so hungry that he's cry late at night or in the early morning hours. Hopefully he won't need to be put on pred. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent is way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Gosh I bet you got NO sleep! I hope the shots help poor Coco Puff! Someone here on PT posted about a wonderful med that really helped her cat - it's called Zeniquin.

Here is the post - it's #2. It's from 2004 but hope it helps. http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ezing-problems
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

How scarey for you, Mary. I am so sorry you had such a night and happy to read he is on the recovery path. Paws crossed all the meds work.

If he does go on prednisone, ask your vet about adding milk thistle. We do this with dogs when they have to take a steroid, but I do not know about cats. I learned about it on a dog forum, and when I ask my vet, she said, oh yes you can do that I do for my dogs, but as a licensed vet I am not allowed to say anything about herbals as they are not regulated by the FDA. And she gave me the dose - same as the forum folks had said - for the dog.

Steriods are hard on the liver, the milk thistle helps the liver regenerate and heal itself. I DO NOT KNOW IF YOU CAN GIVE IT TO CATS, so ask.

Oh, my God, Mary... and Coco Puff. What a night you have had! We are sending all our prayers and good wishes and healing energies that you can get this under control.

Please keep us posted.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and ,
    Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanx, Candace, for reminding me about Zeniquin. One of my cats was on it before but I can't remember which one. I'll have to check. Sandie, I will definitely ask about milk thistle if he has to go on Pred. Thanx for the info.

I'm about ready to drop so I think I'll take a cat nap.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Coco Puff is such a beautiful boy! I hope he responds to the meds and gets better very quickly! It must have been very scary being up all night making sure he was breathing. We do love our babies, don't we?
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Hi, I just got off the radio show, and as we were doing "Ask the Vets" this week, I brought up the situation with Cocoa Puff. Both vets were concerned and said the best thing you can do, before adding Prednisolone into the mix, is help open his nasal passages. Steam and eucalyptus were both mentioned, just getting the bathroom nice and steaming and sitting in there with Cocoa Puff for 5 minutes 4 times a day may help. Adding eucalyptus into the steam will be a great help as well - most florist shops - even in supermarkets - have drried or fresh eucalyptus you can buy and one big decorative branch will yield many leaves, so it isn't too expensive.

They emphasized that with clogged nasal passages, he cannot smell his food, so won't want to eat, and not eating is cause for alarm.

They did both affirm that milk thistle is fine for cats as well as dogs, and good for liver health. Sandy, they said cats tolerate steroids far better than dogs, just FYI, but that milk thistle is a fine idea anyway.

He's a kitty - we cannot just hand him a tissue and say "blow" like with a small child, but steam, and wiping out his nose as best you can at the end may help.

And of course, they're all concerned about poor Cocoa Puff, and he'll be in my prayers!
    I've Been Frosted

Gosh, what a frightening thing to happen. Prayers on the way for you both.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry to hear about Coco Puff. Must be awful to not be able to breath normally.
    Prayers that the meds help him much better soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hi, I just got off the radio show, and as we were doing "Ask the Vets" this week, I brought up the situation with Cocoa Puff. Both vets were concerned and said the best thing you can do, before adding Prednisolone into the mix, is help open his nasal passages. Steam and eucalyptus were both mentioned, just getting the bathroom nice and steaming and sitting in there with Cocoa Puff for 5 minutes 4 times a day may help. Adding eucalyptus into the steam will be a great help as well - most florist shops - even in supermarkets - have drried or fresh eucalyptus you can buy and one big decorative branch will yield many leaves, so it isn't too expensive.

They emphasized that with clogged nasal passages, he cannot smell his food, so won't want to eat, and not eating is cause for alarm.

They did both affirm that milk thistle is fine for cats as well as dogs, and good for liver health. Sandy, they said cats tolerate steroids far better than dogs, just FYI, but that milk thistle is a fine idea anyway.

He's a kitty - we cannot just hand him a tissue and say "blow" like with a small child, but steam, and wiping out his nose as best you can at the end may help.

And of course, they're all concerned about poor Cocoa Puff, and he'll be in my prayers!
    Wow, thanx a million, Karen! It's so nice of you to think of Coco Puff. I don't know why I didn't think of doing that but I will tonight. I have some eucalyptus salve and I'll put a little in a bowl and see if that will help. If not, off I go to the grocery store for some branches.

He's doing better now that he has all the meds in him. He did eat his dinner so he must be able to smell at least a little bit. Thank you again, Karen. I appreciate it very much.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Coco Puff is usually a very laid back cat. If he were any more laid back, he'd be a stuffed animal. However, Dr. Lee said he dug into him when they were in the back room and when he administered his shots. We couldn't get blood from him the last time we were there. Dr. Lee said he's never seen anything like it. CP has a way of turning his paws under so that he couldn't get to them. So he tried to get it from his neck and those paws came out fast and smacked him. I just couldn't believe it and I said "If you will allow me to stay w/him while you do it, I'll bet he'll be fine". He said "Ok, let's do it right now". Dr. Lee shaved a little fur and CP was fine and just as Dr. Lee was ready to insert the needle "WHAM!" CP gave it to him good, plus he hissed and growled. Dr. Lee laughed but I was shocked. I've never heard CP hiss or growl. Never! He must really have felt bad to do that. Dr. Lee said "We tried the towel, the sack, a muzzle, nothing worked. It just isn't worth it right now to stress him out like that. He's too sick". I'm still in shock. He's feeling better now, no gurgling but I'll be listening. I'm going to take Karen's advice and steam him in the bathroom tonight.

Thanx for all the good wishes, everyone. They mean a lot to me.
    Blessings,
    Mary

More good wishes and prayers and healing energies for dear Coco Puff and you, Mary. Those are great suggestions from Karen and the vets! Here's hoping the steam brings some relief.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Prayers for you and Coco Puff; I think you both could use them. I do hope your boy gets better. That must have been quite the experience for you, the vet, and the cat. I hope he calms down so the vet can do his thing. Also hope you get some rest tonight but I'd be listening also if he were my cat.

Big big prayers for Coco Puff! I hope the steroids and the Convenia will help fast!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678