Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Please pray for my Grandma kitty

Oh, what good news that she is eating!

Grandma, you go girl!!!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Keep up the good work, Grandma!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Grandma update

Grandma is still not eating as well as she was. I think she just doesn't like the kd food much. I hear her tummy growling once in a while. So, tonight, I'm goning to take a bit of the gravy from the Friskies chicken and gravy she likes and put it on some of the kd food and see if she will eat better. It's chicken flavor too. That might defeat the entire purpose for having her on the kd food but I can't stand knowing she is hungry and just not eating because she doesn't like the food.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Grandma is still not eating as well as she was. I think she just doesn't like the kd food much. I hear her tummy growling once in a while. So, tonight, I'm goning to take a bit of the gravy from the Friskies chicken and gravy she likes and put it on some of the kd food and see if she will eat better. It's chicken flavor too. That might defeat the entire purpose for having her on the kd food but I can't stand knowing she is hungry and just not eating because she doesn't like the food.
    Something that pretty much always worked for me was what I called a chicken smoothie, I boiled whatever chicken parts I had, (not the wings) and plenty of water, let's say 2 thighs, then I removed the chicken and deboned it, put the meat in the food processor, and then added it back to the broth. I have used this as a supplement, or on it's own..for sick and older kitties of mine that lost interest in their food..it pretty much always helped..it kept for up to a week in the fridge in a jar..I would shake it, microwave til warm and the aroma gets stronger, then just add it to food or a little bit on it's own. That way you get pretty much all chicken without using gravies and stuff from other food they arent supposed to have..it's great to dress up food they turn their noses up at. My vet approved. It also made that pate food less thick and lickable rather than chewable..this might solve the 'doesnt like the food' dilemma. The heating is the trick, and you dont want to give food right from the fridge, to avoid tummy troubles.

It's also great for sensitive mouths.

Good luck..it's always a challenge..

KD food is disgusting! Why,oh why, can't they make special needs cat foods that the cats will actually eat? I guess that would be too easy.

Continuing prayers for dear Grandma and for you, MoFF. That sounds like a good idea to put the gravy on the KD. Why not just give her the food you know she likes and she'll eat. At age 18 she's probably past the point where the kidney food is going to make that much difference, and the important thing is that she eats.

Loads of love and headbumpies to you,
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Continuing prayers for dear Grandma and for you, MoFF. That sounds like a good idea to put the gravy on the KD. Why not just give her the food you know she likes and she'll eat. At age 18 she's probably past the point where the kidney food is going to make that much difference, and the important thing is that she eats.

Loads of love and headbumpies to you,
    That's what I was thinking too: just let her eat what she wants. She should spend the end of her life as happy as possible. She is already blind and can't do much.

She goes back to be rechecked in 2 or 3 weeks. We will see if that kd food is making a difference then. It is so expensive here. About 42 dollars for 24 small 5.5 oz cans. We have an almost 9% sales tax which makes it so high. I don't mind paying that much if she will eat it but don't like having to throw it out if she doesn't.

I did put some of the Friskies gravy on her kd food and she gobbled it up like she hadn't eaten in a week. She even ate twice this evening.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Grandma, please keep on eating! You have people and kitties from all over the country pulling for you.

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    That's what I was thinking too: just let her eat what she wants. She should spend the end of her life as happy as possible. She is already blind and can't do much.

She goes back to be rechecked in 2 or 3 weeks. We will see if that kd food is making a difference then. It is so expensive here. About 42 dollars for 24 small 5.5 oz cans. We have an almost 9% sales tax which makes it so high. I don't mind paying that much if she will eat it but don't like having to throw it out if she doesn't.

I did put some of the Friskies gravy on her kd food and she gobbled it up like she hadn't eaten in a week. She even ate twice this evening.

I agree with you & phesina on Grandma's menu.Giving her things that she likes & will eat is better than nothing. At her age she deserves to be spoiled a little bit.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm glad Grandma is eating. I think at her advanced age she should be able to eat whatever she wants. If she were younger I'd say make a whole hearted try with the KD. Kind of like my dad, he's dying, he can eat whatever he wants, whenever he wants, mom gets it for him - be it a banana, crackers with cheese, whatever, so long as he eats something. Its the foodies in the tummy that will keep them going longer, and of course the happiness they have from eating something that actually tastes good!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

How is Grandma this morning?? Please plant many kisses on that sweet forehead from me OK?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    How is Grandma this morning?? Please plant many kisses on that sweet forehead from me OK?
    And loads of kisses from us too, please!

Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    I agree with you & phesina on Grandma's menu.Giving her things that she likes & will eat is better than nothing. At her age she deserves to be spoiled a little bit.
    I agree too. I hope she'll continue to eat well for you.

Grandama update

We both thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. They are working. She is eating much better since I started mixing in some of her other food with the kd. She has eaten several times already today. She seems to be enjoying it too, not just eating because she is hungry. I was beginning to feel like a mom forcing her child to eat veggies.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Dear Grandma, I am so glad you are eating better! Keep it up! Gentle *kiss* for you!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678