Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Please pray for my Grandma kitty

Wonderful report there, Grandma kitty!

Well done, Grandma and MoFF! And just think of the klamz joose being added to the mix!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Glad to know Grandma is feeling better.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Let's hope we continue to receive good news on Grandma kitty.

We will give the ole kamz a try tomorrow. Today was the first day I've been able to get to the store to get a can. Grandma has not been eating quite as good since her vet visit. I think she is just exhauseted and a bit miffed at me for taking her to the vet. Odd that the vet gave her an appetite stimulater and she doesn't want to eat as much. Or it could be she is cheesed off at me for making her take her thyroid pill every day. My girl can be really stubborn when she wants. Fingers all crossed for the kamz and that I don't get mugged by the other cats trying to get a taste too.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

It's always worrying when a cat won't eat. What's the name of the appetite stimulant. Fister tried some called Percictin (sp?), a half twice a day. It helped, at least for a while. Have you tried Royal Canins "Sensitive". That was Fister's favourite. I also gave him the Whiskas pouches wet food. He would only eat the one in Gelé, not in Sauce. I poured a little boiled water in, and would eat it. His issues were not the kidneys though, but his liver.

I hope Grandma will start eating soon. Sending lots of positive thoughts.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Grandma is not on an appetite stimulant, Randi. The vet just gave her a shot of the B vitamins.

We tried the klamz today. The jury is still out on that. I think she liked the klams just not on the kd food because she lapped up the juice from the clams that was on the plate but did not eat all the kd with it mixed in. I only gave her about a 3rd of a can of the kd food mixed with just a bit of clams and clams juice. I was hoping for a clean plate but that did not happen. We will try again at supper time.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Oh boy, does that Klam Juz ever bring back memories.
    Merlin and Auntie Slick are sending a boatload of hugs and purrs for you all and especially Grandma.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I hope she'll start eating better. When Ziggy wasn't eating well, she was also given a vitamin B12 shot. I then gave her 1 shot every week for about 4-6 weeks. It really helped her appetite. Hopefully Grandma will forgive you and you'll find a food that she'll enjoy eating again. More prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Well, the vote is in: klamz juz is out!!! Not only will Grandma not eat it or the klamz, but her indoor sibbies don't like it either. Even the two strays outside try and bury it!!! sigh

I put her back on her normal food last night because she had not eaten all day. She ate almost all of it.
    I'm wondering if some chicken flavored people gravy over the kd food would work. She loves the wet food with gravy. Of couse, I can't make gravy so it would have to be the kind in the jar. sigh

The vet said to use tough love on her even if she doesn't eat for days. I'm sorry but I can't let my poor ole, blind girl go hungry like that.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Could you, perhaps, mix her very favorite food in with some kd? Like more of her favorite and just a little kd?
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Cammie hates her k/d food too.

I did get her to eat some when I mixed it with human baby food (ham is her favorite flavor). The vet said it was okay as long as the baby food does not contain onion or garlic flavorings. But, he did say mixing it with the baby food upped the protein content which defeats the point of the k/d food. But, she ate it. Unfortunately, I can't say that it worked a second time.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I did try mixing some of her usual food with the kd. The first time she ate a few bites but after that na da.
    I put her back on her usual food yesterday because she was getting a bit wobbly when she walked. She ate fine since then. So, it seems I'm faced with : do I try to make her eat it by forcing her to eat something she hates and maybe extending her life a little longer, or do I just let her eat what she likes and enjoy what she can of her life, that might be shorter because of it?

The vet said don't let her have anything else and she would eat after 2 or 3 days. I don't call that being helpful. I call it being cruel. The poor cat is already blind and getting a thyroid pill poked down her every day. She doesn't do any thing but eat, sleep, and potty now. Do I want to take the enjoying eating away from her? I'm leaning toward no at the moment.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    I did try mixing some of her usual food with the kd. The first time she ate a few bites but after that na da.
    I put her back on her usual food yesterday because she was getting a bit wobbly when she walked. She ate fine since then. So, it seems I'm faced with : do I try to make her eat it by forcing her to eat something she hates and maybe extending her life a little longer, or do I just let her eat what she likes and enjoy what she can of her life, that might be shorter because of it?

The vet said don't let her have anything else and she would eat after 2 or 3 days. I don't call that being helpful. I call it being cruel. The poor cat is already blind and getting a thyroid pill poked down her every day. She doesn't do any thing but eat, sleep, and potty now. Do I want to take the enjoying eating away from her? I'm leaning toward no at the moment.
    I agree with your decision 100%. I couldn't sit back and watch my cat starve to death because they didn't like their prescription food. I'm really surprised that,given her age, that your vet would even suggest for her to be without food for 2-3 days. She sounds like she was getting very weak. Just enjoy the time that you have with each other and I hope she'll continue to eat well for you. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I agree with your decision 100%. I couldn't sit back and watch my cat starve to death because they didn't like their prescription food. I'm really surprised that,given her age, that your vet would even suggest for her to be without food for 2-3 days. She sounds like she was getting very weak. Just enjoy the time that you have with each other and I hope she'll continue to eat well for you. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Well, I also agree with KAK. I would rather she eat something she enjoys & would not go with the "tough love" stuff. It would be different if she was a much
    younger cat, but she isn't. I'm just saying what I would do & I know you will do whatever makes Grandma a little happier with her life. Trust yourself.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I wish your vet could meet my vet. Mac is a senior kitizen (15) and he takes those thyroid pills, too. The last time he was checked, his kidney were pretty good. That might have changed, but for now, he's doing pretty giood for an old guy!
    Anyway, when I asked my vet what kind of diet he should be on she told me that at his age, anything he wanted and would eat. She said that older cats especially should eat regularly and if they won't eat the "good-for-them" food, then feed them what they like. Grandma is more likely to live longer if she eats "the bad stuff" regularly than if she eats nothing at all! When our kitties get a certain age, it is sometimes best just to love them and keep them happy.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!