Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sparkler's appetite is off

Sparkler's appetite is off

Sparkler spends most of her time under my bed. At meal time she comes over to the edge and chows down there.

The last few days she hasn't been coming. I leave dry food, but I don't think she eats it. I've found I can urge her from one end and she comes out at the other end and goes into the bottom level of kitty condo, and I've been able to give her some wet food there.

I told the vet yesterday, and he said he'd like to take a look at her.

She is almost impossible to get ahold of and really freaks if I try to struggle her into a carrier. That's if I can get ahold of her at all. This week I've also not been seeing her under the bed, and I'm quite sure she is crawling up into the bed spring box, the bottom of which is all ripped up.

Any suggestions, how I can get her, how I can get her into a safe space, how I can get her to the vet's? How I can get her appetite back?

I'm just at a loss and feel awful.

Thank you,
    Pat (and cats)
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Dear sweet Sparkler, please come out and let meowmie take you to the doctor. She is worried about you. We you and we want you to be happy and healthy for many years to come! Please let meowmie take care of you. We are saying a big prayer for you and meowmie, dear girl!

Cassie and Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I'm so sorry to hear Sparkler isn't eating much, if at all. Is he drinking? There are pills that stimulate cats appetite, ask your vet about those. However, I think it's a good idea to get him thoroughly checked.

I know what you're talking about when you say you can't get hold of him. Fister was like that for years and it was nerve wrecking every time we had to take him anywhere. If you get some medicine called Diazepam - just 2-3 mg, that might calm him down enough to be able to get him into a box. Crush a pill and put inside some meat he likes.

Sending lots of good wishes and hope it's not something serious. How old is he?

(((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I think a small dose of med would be helpful to get him to the vet. Prayers that it's nothing serious!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

To get Sparkler out from under maybe try a laser pointer? IF she comes out she will be distracted enough that you should be able to grab her. Do this of course with the room darkened so the light is MORE attractive.

Sorry, it's all I've got. I hope you can get her out and checked over.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Sparkler is quite young, 4-5 years old. I was just at the vet's with Poppaea and told him about the trouble to get ahold of Sparkler. He said see how she does over the weekend, and if she's not better by Monday he'll want to take a look at her.

She has come out to eat pretty much each meal, not a whole lot but at least she's not starving.

I got some Fancy Feast to hopefully whet her appetite and also reward Poppaea and Kitty (recovering from her dental surgery yesterday) and Kellie.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

The elusive kitty is a frequent reason why appointments are rescheduled at my clinic. You aren't alone with having trouble catching him!

The problem, though, is when cats don't eat it can be very bad. Not bad because of the reason why they aren't eating, but because they are susceptible to getting fatty liver. I would try your hardest to catch him and get him to the vet before the weekend. You don't really want to wait on these things... and this is speaking from experience. By the end of the weekend you're going on nearly a week of not eating, and that can just be very bad The only suggestions I have are "luring" him into the box with his absolute favorite treat, or catching him in a blanket and putting him in there. Does your carrier had a top you can take off? Sometimes that goes easier than shoving them in through the door.

Good luck!!! And keep us posted.

facebook

I've got her in a carrier... We're on our way.
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    I've got her in a carrier... We're on our way.
    Good girl, Sparkler! KISSES to you from me and I hope it is something that can be quickly put right!

A candle for Sparkler: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...g&cid=18171903
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 03-22-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Add candle
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Sending good thought Sparkler's way.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Well, we're back..

Sparkler is a little dehydrated.. has pink around her eyes.. lungs sounded clear but there was a sound of congestion in her nasal passages. She's likely not been showing up for the food because she hasn't been able to smell it. The vet suggested I warm it up to make it more aromatic.

She got a Convenia shot to knock out the URI.. sub-q fluids.. Tobramycin eye drops. I'm to give her a drop of that in each eye every 4-6 hours. Fat chance I can get ahold of her to do that!

We got home, and she went straight back under the bed.

If she's not doing better by Monday, I should call and they might do blood work.

Thank you for the candle, Elyse, and for the good wishes, folks.

Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    The elusive kitty is a frequent reason why appointments are rescheduled at my clinic. You aren't alone with having trouble catching him!

The problem, though, is when cats don't eat it can be very bad. Not bad because of the reason why they aren't eating, but because they are susceptible to getting fatty liver. I would try your hardest to catch him and get him to the vet before the weekend. You don't really want to wait on these things... and this is speaking from experience. By the end of the weekend you're going on nearly a week of not eating, and that can just be very bad The only suggestions I have are "luring" him into the box with his absolute favorite treat, or catching him in a blanket and putting him in there. Does your carrier had a top you can take off? Sometimes that goes easier than shoving them in through the door.

Good luck!!! And keep us posted.
    Thanks, Jessika. She has been eating, when I've put the food right by her. She just hasn't been coming out for it as she usually does. But I took her in anyway since I was able to get ahold of her and put her in a carrier.
    Death thought about it.

Now that you got her to the vets, I wonder why they didn't do any bloodwork, that might have showed what is going on.

Hop Sparkler gets better.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thanks Randi. I think she didn't do the bloodwork now because this is most likely just a beginning URI. But (now after the fact, when it's too late) I think you're right, I should have had them take the blood today, because she is so hard to get ahold of, in case she doesn't show improvement and should come back for it. I feel bad about it now.

Pat
    Last edited by phesina; 03-22-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Death thought about it.

Don't feel bad. When our fur kids are sick we don't always think clearly. At least I don't. Prayers she feels better real soon. Prayers for you too.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~