Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Please pray for my Grandma kitty

My boys and I are praying hard and thinking good thoughts for dear, sweet, Grandma!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Thanks everyone for the prayers. Please keep them coming. The vet just called. Grandma will get to come home around 5 tonight. Her kidneys are getting worse but they aren't too bad. She thinks that it's Grandma's thyroid that is causing the problem. She had lost a bit of weight since she was there in October.
    Her thyroid then was 3.2 now it's 5.6. So they are going to start her on a thyroid pill and give her some kidney friendly food. They hope the thyroid med will stimulate her appetite and she will start eating. If she doesn't eat by tomorrow night, I'm to call them back. They feel she is more likely to eat here than she would if they kept her.

I just hope she will eat the food they send. She is sending that KD food. I've never had any luck getting my cats to eat that stuff.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

I just saw the thread and read your last report. I'll send up prayers for both of you. I hope she'll get better. I'm wondering if it would be ok to cook some chicken and give a little chicken broth and/or a tiny bit of chicken (not greasy) to the vet food?? I've done that before when my Luke cat didnt like the vet food taste. I dont want to tell you to do anything that will hurt your kitty so use your own judgement. I was just thinking maybe tiny broth & tiny chicken & vet food would be better than nothing.

This sounds exactly like what happened to Mac. He stopped eating and was losing weight. The vet ran some tests, found out it was his thyroid, and sent him home with thyroid pills (fairly inexpensive) and some appetite stimulants. He has been on the thyroid pills since last summer and is doing great! He is almost Grandma's age, about 15-years-old, so I think getting older has something to do with thyroid problems in cats. My vet said that as long as he took the pills, he could live for many more years. I sure hope so. I'm glad Grandma is coming home. Ask if they can send some appetite stimulant pills home. They really get them eating!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

So glad she will be coming back home, and we hope the medicine will make her want to eat!
    I've Been Frosted

Moff, you can be assured you have my prayers and lots of them for Grandma and a bunch for you too.
    I am glad that she is coming home to be with you. Just like us I think they enjoy being in their home when they are ill rather than being stuck in a hospital or clinic.

I sure hope she will eat - and that the medication helps her.

I will keep checking in on her.

Prayers, good thoughts and purrs to sweet Grandma!

Get well soon, gorgeous
    astrid

We're so glad Grandma is coming home to be with her family as she contends with this new medical issue. We hope the thyroid medicine will help and she will regain her appetite.

My kidney-challenged cats have always detested the KD food too. Are you talking about wet or dry or both, MoFF? We found another prescription wet food, Purina NF, which mine have found to be MUCH tastier. Not as many vets carry it, so you may have to call around, if you want to give that a try.

The suggestion about adding a little chicken broth and a bit of non-greasy chicken might work too, if your vet says okay.

Here's hoping for positive changes! We are all crossing our fingers and paw pads and saying our prayers and sending our healing energies for Grandma and for you, Connie.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Just seeing this. Prayers that Grandma will eat and feel better.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Thoughts of good being sent to you and Grandma kitty.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Just seeing this now. Prayers from RI for MOFF and Grandma.

I have never had a cat eat the vet KD food, either, lol.

Thyroid meds, yep, I have had good success with those, and with appetite stimulants.

I find the cat will take the grain free canned food, the one in a gel NOT the one in gravy. Once they have kidney and thyroid issues, I found the gravy just went right through but the gel seemed to help the cat hold fluids. Weruva, Tiki Cat and Fussie Cat are the brands I've used. My cats love the Weruva Marbella Paella.

I'm glad she's able to come home and hopefully she'll start eating for you again. My RB Storm also had hyperthyroidism and he was very good about taking his pills. I would just put them in chicken flavored pill pockets. I would cut the pill pocket into 4 pieces so I didn't have to buy them so often and then I would wrap a piece around the pill. He loved treats so he just thought the he was getting a treat. Good luck.

If Grandma won't eat the KD, Royal Canin makes a kidney food that cats seem to like better. There was a cat in our shelter who had to be on this for awhile and really liked it. If you can't give her a pill they make the thyroid med as a paste that goes on the inside of the ear. My grumpy tortie Bosun gets that and she's doing really well.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Hi, everyone! Grandma got home last night and even started eating. She spent the night in my bed in her favorite place. This morning she ate fairly good. She doesn't seem to mind the kd food, for now at least.
    The only flavor they had was chicken and she loves chicken. I got her a case of it so hope she continues to like it. We have a winter storm moving in and I didn't want to risk her being without her special food.

She even took her thyroid pill like a trooper today.

She has been drinking and urinating but like normal today! So right now, things are looking up.

The kd food looks a lot different than the last time I tried to feed it to a cat. It's now in the small cans like I usually use and comes in a flavor she likes. It used to only come in liver. I've never had a cat that liked liver. yuck don't blame them at all.

She goes back in a couple of weeks for a recheck.

Grandma and I thank you all for your love and well wishes and prayers. You are all the best!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Oh, how I love good news!! This warms my heart - and bless yours and hers