Thread: Skunk season!

Skunk season!

It's that time of year, I saw my first deceased skunk by the side of the road yesterday, and of course smelled skunk as well. So I know it's only a matter of time before some Pet Talk canine encounters one ...

Today on the radio show, I asked the veterinarians, and they had a surprising tip - Listerine! Dr. Carol recommended just buying the cheapest biggest bottle of Listerine and keeping it on hand! (Of course depending on the size of your canine culprit how much you'll need. But she recommended soaking the dog's coat in Listerine and keeping it there for five minutes, then rinse off and wash with a normal shampoo. She said you might need to repeat, depending on how badly your pooch got sprayed, but it is far more effective than tomato juice, and less messy, and more cost-effective than some of the commercial deskunking products. Interesting, huh?
    I've Been Frosted

And where was this advice when Lady was around?

SHe never did understand that the reason she got sprayed was that she WENT AFTER skunks instead of leaving them alone.

Vicious circle.....

Skunks spray me.

I get a bath.

I hate baths.

Therefore I hate skunks and must eliminate them from the face of the earth.

Bathe and repeat.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Yes, I thought of Lady when we were discussing this! Hopefully she won't pass along that attitude to Angel!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    And where was this advice when Lady was around?

SHe never did understand that the reason she got sprayed was that she WENT AFTER skunks instead of leaving them alone.

Vicious circle.....

Skunks spray me.

I get a bath.

I hate baths.

Therefore I hate skunks and must eliminate them from the face of the earth.

Bathe and repeat.
    I've Been Frosted

I hope I never find out about my dogs being skunked! There were skunks around here when I moved in this house 19 years ago,
    but haven't seen or smelled them around for years.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Good to know! I wonder if Listerine would also work for when they get it in the mouth. My brothers dog was sprayed in his mouth just a few weeks ago. So his breath stinks!!
    And we don't have "skunk season" here. It seems to me like there are always skunks around. Maybe because it's always pretty warm.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Oh, my sympathies - skunks are around all year here, they don't hibernate, but they are in kind of a torpor, so we - and dogs - don't encounter them! I doubt the Listerine would work in the mouth unless you could get him to hold it in and swish it around, but it might be worth a shot!
    I've Been Frosted

Lolli and Buddy encountered their first skunk last summer...and I have a feeling they didn't learn their lesson.
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

When I lived in the country the skunks were so thick I was certain my boys would have a run-in with atleast one of them. Thankfully we escaped the wilderness unscathed. I never considered listerine as a deskunking staple, though. Good to know!