Thread: ringer can't walk

ringer can't walk

perhaps someone on here can give us some help. sometime this weekend, we saw that our cat, ringer, was dragging his right foot. it looked like it was broken because of the way it was just hanging. the night before, Ringer, was trying to jump up on the couch and didn't make it. he usually comes into the living room with us and sits on the chairs or couch. well, he tried to jump up but didn't make it so he walked around the couch and came up the other way. we didn't notice that he was dragging his foot until Saturday. The foot was bent like backwards almost like it wasn't there. when we touched it he didn't cry out too much at all but we noticed he was dragging that foot.
    so we had to bring the litter box upstairs and one thing also, he started going into the closet to lay down which is not like him. we have a first floor bedroom and he usually has several places he likes to sleep but that closet has never been one of them. the other day i was home from work and calling him to come eat. i couldnt find him until i saw his little face peeking out from that closet. and he is like hiding in there now. its a change in his routine. but back to his foot. we started trying to help him into the litter box because of his foot and putting his food right in front of him. today he is at the doctor's because we didnt know what to do since he wasnt crying out in pain or anything except when you touched his foot, even then, he didnt seem like he was in pain.

but my friend picked him up today because he was hiding from us and he went to the bathroom all over him. so now he is at the vets. my friends think he had a stroke.
    but do cats have strokes?

kittypaws

Cats can have strokes, just like any other mammal, but it does sound he injured that paw. I am glad he is at the vet, let us know how it goes, okay? Poor kitty!
    I've Been Frosted

Poor Ringer. To me it does sound like he either broke, fractured, or sprained his foot. When cats are in pain they hide so this is probably the reason why he's been hiding out in the closet. Cats are also very good about hiding their pain. I'm glad that he's now at the vet and hopefully it's nothing too serious. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

thanks for answering:

okay they are back from the vet. they took an xray but they want to do an MRI because so they can tell if he has a fracture in his foot. But he will need surgery. they went to the county animal shelter and they told them that. he has pain medication. but if he doesn't get the surgery, then, he will walk with the foot in that condition for the rest of his life. so kitty is in bad condition but he is well taken care of. so the next step is to get the MRI and then proceed from there. He didn't have a stroke or anything and we think he injured himself by trying to jump on the couch and missed.

Aww, poor kitty! Glad there was no stroke, brain injuries are hard to recover from. We'll be thinking of him, hope the MRI brings clarity!
    I've Been Frosted

We're glad there wasn't a stroke. Prayers for Ringer that all will be fixed up and he heals comfortably.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Please let us know how the MRI turns out. Continuing prayers and good wishes from us.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

I hope his surgery goes well and that he recovers quickly. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

an Update on Ringer:
    it's bad news. Well, we didn't get an MRI on his leg, it was supposed to be an Ultrasound, but we aren't getting that cause then the surgery is like 2500 so we can't afford that. so the bad news is also that it isn't just his one leg, he now, cannot move either leg and he tries to drag both legs. I didn't know he wasn't using his other leg. It looks like he is paralyzed. The vet didn't take an x-ray of his back only his one leg that we thought was the problem. Now he can't walk at all. We carry him everywhere and he doesn't use the litter box. He just goes to the bathroom where he lays. We put plastic bags under towels where he lays but so now we are considering what else to do. He hasn't really had a bowel movement in a week.

Oh, poor baby, and poor you. I do hope and pray some solution can be found that will give Ringer back at least some use of his legs and hindquarters.

Please give dear Ringer some gentle pets from me.

Death thought about it.

Back to the vet - it sounds now like s spinal injury or nerve damage. Is there a teaching hospital or clinic near you that might be able to see him? It is obviously NOT his foot, which the first vet said it was - you need some other vet to look at him. Foot injuries do not travel from one paw to another, or affect bowel movements. He needs help, sooner rather than later!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm so sorry to hear this. Yes, please get a second opinion. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    IMOM.org may be able to help. Please contact them and let them know where you are located. They may be able to find a vet in your area that charges less.
    And if you fill out an application, and are accepted, they may be able to help raise the funds for the surgery.

Not having a bowel movement all week, can't be a good thing. He must be so uncomfortable. Did the vet have any suggestions on how to help him?
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.