Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on 17 year old Bartie...

Update on 17 year old Bartie...

Bartie isn't doing well. He's stopped eating and drinking (not even goat's milk which he LOVES). He hops from litterbox to litterbox and nothing is coming out.

I took him to the vet yesterday. They gave him a long acting antibiotic just in case he's got a UTI. I'm frustrated because the vet didn't give him subQ fluids or do any blood tests. The vet told me if it doesn't work, there's really not a lot she can do for him. It is ripping my GUTS out seeing him like this. I feel so helpless. My friend Nancy is "sponsoring" him. She and I have very different opinions on euthanization. I believe it would be in Bartie's best interest to help him to the Bridge. I can't stand to see him suffer this way. She feels that if he's going to die, he'll die on his own in his own time.

I just spoke with Nancy and we've agreed to get a second opinion. Nancy said money is no object when it comes to Bartie, which is reassuring. But at what point do you say enough is enough??? I'd much rather have him go to the Bridge while I'm holding him and telling him how much he is loved and what a great cat he is, than to wake up and find that he died alone in the night.

Right now I'm at a loss for words.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

{{{hugs}}} Go for that second opinion. Then the path ahead may seem clearer.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm with you Donna, and your way of thinking. It seems obvious that it's time to let him go and with your love surrounding him. He could needlessly suffer for a long time before he leaves on his own - what quality of living is that? We are their caregivers and it's our responsibility to do what's in their best interest, no matter how terrible it makes us feel.

{{{Hugs}}}, and may you find the strength to make the best decision for Bartie, who cannot make it for himself.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'm so sorry Donna. Have him looked at a second time, if the diagnosis is confirmed perhaps it will help Nancy deal with the next step. If she's wanting a third look see then it's time to draw the line. Hugs for all of you, especially Bartie!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I'm so sorry to hear this. I also believe that his time is up and that you should help him along to the Bridge. When an animals quality of life is gone then it's time to say goodbye. If a second opinion will help your friend then I'd do it. I know this is a very difficult time for you. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Oh, Donna and Bartie, sending along all our love and prayers to you both.

I'd say get the second opinion too, but you make the decision on the next step.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and ,
    Pat and cats
    Last edited by phesina; 03-07-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Sending prayers your way, for comfort and clarity.
    I've Been Frosted

He's got an appointment tomorrow at 3:15 with Dr. Larry Pennington for a second opinion. I've talked to Dr. Soutter and asked why they didn't offer SubQ fluids. She said Bartie's hypertention is the reason. They erred on the side of caution. She said he shows classic signs of bladder irritation. I asked if he was in pain and she said a UTI can be painful. Well DUH, everyone KNOWS that!!! She also told me that it is possible that his kidneys are shutting down.

The vet is going to fax all his records in time for his appointment tomorrow. Please keep Bartie in your prayers. I'll post once he's back home.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Prayers for dearest Bartie and for you too, Donna.

, Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I'm with you Donna, and your way of thinking. It seems obvious that it's time to let him go and with your love surrounding him. He could needlessly suffer for a long time before he leaves on his own - what quality of living is that? We are their caregivers and it's our responsibility to do what's in their best interest, no matter how terrible it makes us feel.

{{{Hugs}}}, and may you find the strength to make the best decision for Bartie, who cannot make it for himself.
    I totally agree with this. We all know that cats don't whine when they're feeling rotten and in pain, they go somewhere quiet and suffer. Please don't let that happen.

(((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thanks Randi. I'd rather get a second opinion and KNOW that I did all I could for him.

He has been drinking water and goat's milk lately. But so far nothing is coming out.

Prayers for Bartie and for you. I hope the antibiotics make him a little more comfortable at least.

Because of the snow we got hit with, the appointment is now on Monday at 9:30.

The GOOD news is he's eating!!!! I think that long acting antibiotic is finally kicking in. Now all we have to do is see if his kidneys are failing or just a UTI.

Phew!!! Now it's just a matter of keeping him comfortable and happy.

Good news! I hope he keeps eating and drinking and that stuff starts appearing at his other end! Be comfy, Bartie. You are so so loved so I don't even have to wish you that!

Wonderful!

Loads of love to Bartie and you, Donna!
    Death thought about it.