Thread: Signs of Spring

Hybrid View

Signs of Spring

I know spring is well under way in some places, but of course is still a chancy thing here in Massachusetts. Yesterday I saw not my first robin of the season - that showed up during that warm patch in January, and looked pretty miserable through much of February, but a whole mess of robins for the first time.

What heralds spring for you, and what have you notice, or are waiting for so far this year?
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, there is one type of robin which remain here all winter; I wonder, since you saw it in Jan, maybe it was not one of the migratory ones?

Heralds of Spring: I saw a HUGE "V" formation of Canadian geese traveling north, honking up a storm, on Thursday morning when I walked out to get the newspaper. They were quite high up, definitely in long distance mode, ha haaa. Must have been 50 at least!

That afternoon I saw a smaller group of 6 flying low and south; they were just moving from one golf course to the other for lunch. Since we have quite a few here all winter, that is not a sign of Spring.

Many of my bulbs - daffs, hyacinths - broke ground in late DECEMBER, so now I can't even say THAT means Spring is coming, lol.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I've been hearing more and more birds everyday, and not the winter residents that stick around. I was listening to the doves cooing a few days ago.

I guess when I see the daffodils and crocus and hostas break thru the ground, then I'll agree that Spring is here.

So what's in our forecast for Wednesday???? - snow, and it could be a sizable amount. I got tired of waiting for it all Winter, and now I don't want it!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

My tulip leaves and lily leaves were coming up before they got buried by a foot of snow. I'm hoping the will revive when the snow finally melts.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pitchers and catchers reporting for spring training.

Clipper fleet schedule in the mail.

F-1 winter testing in Spain.

Seed catalogs.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

We've had daffodils blooming and even some trees with flowers on them. I don't believe spring is here until I see leaves on the weeping willow trees. Today I saw my first ones!

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Longer days of daylight! Loving it!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Karen, there is one type of robin which remain here all winter; I wonder, since you saw it in Jan, maybe it was not one of the migratory ones?
    I doubt it, it showed up out of the blue that warm patch in January, looking exactly like the ones that migrate, just off schedule by a couple month. I tried to tell is visible grass didn't mean worms were present, just the now had melted. The ground was still frozen an inch down, and the worms were all deep asleep!

It look completely miserable, feathers puffed against the cold and out of place, pecking at seeds amidst the tidy little juncos after the snowstorms!
    I've Been Frosted