Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cassie's health

Several good reports since I went to bed last night; great news indeed!

Elyse, what cat foods did the vet suggest to switch her over to once she is feeling better?

i am so happy our Cassie is feeling better!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Get better, sweet Cassie.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Continuing loving prayers for Cassie ( and Elyse) ! I am glad to hear she is improving.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Good to hear Cassie is doing better.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Great news! All sounds very promising.

Continuing prayers and good wishes and healing energies.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

This is wonderful news!!! Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Glad to hear Cassie doing better.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

So glad to read the updates that indicate Cassie is feeling better. YaY for both of you. I hope giving the fluids goes well for you.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Hi, PT! We did our first dose of fluids at home. We went in the bathroom and I hung the bag on the cabinet knob. She did fine and tried to walk away while the fluid was still running. I was trying to hold the needle with one hand and keep Cassie still with the other. She ate and drank while I was at work. After we did the fluids I fed her. She ate a little and then went away from her dish. That is typical, though. She might go back to eat more in 30 minutes or an hour. I have pureed baby meat here if she is not interested in cat food.

Sandie, the vet didn't give me a recommendation about a brand of food. The tech said that Hill Science Diet is good, but I thought I read somewhere on PT that it is not so good. They carry Royal Canin at their office and Petsmart also carries that. J and M Feed carries the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" cat food and they are right here about half a mile from me. I need to find the thread about cat food that has a link to a chart comparing foods. I do remember that Friskies and Nine Lives are the lowest. I didn't push too hard because I knew I could look up that chart and see which ones are the best to feed.

So I think we are doing better. I need to look in the litter pan and see what she has put out, both urine and stool. I asked the vet if Convenia would give her loose stools - just because every time I've ever taken antibiotics my stomach always turns cartwheels. But the vet said probably not, and if that happened, to phone the office. She said it happens more with oral anti-infectives than with the Convenia.

At least Cassie is doing better. My stupid broken toe from almost 30 years ago - the one I slammed into the wall on my first night in a new dorm room - hurts a LOT! Payback for wearing cute but uncomfortable shoes to the concert last night.

Oh, I hear her drinking. Lap, lap, swallow; lap, lap, swallow. I think we'll have a better night tonight.

Cassie and Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Okay, I found the link. But it doesn't generate a table, it just brings up more links.

http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

I've read that Origin is good, it's a Canadian company and it's sold at a couple of independent stores not far from here. I've read that Chicken Soup for the Soul is good. I need Cassie to eat enough high-quality food that she will be in better health. I'll go to J and M Feed and ask the guys there. They know their products well and don't sell the mediocre ones.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Elyse, the two best foods I have found, and I have a kitty with specialized diet needs, are Wilderness and Solid Gold Indigo Moon (I alternate these two primarily, now they're on the Solid Gold). All three of my boys love both these foods, so that's a miracle in itself!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Filou loved Royal Canin wet food- with kidney kitties it is important they eat at all....

Here is the link to the chart:

http://www.petfoodratings.org/quick-...ference-table/

The best cat foods will be grain free. Cats are obligate carnivores, they get all their nutrition from proteins: meat, fish, fowl, eggs. In the wild, cats never eat grains (unlike dogs who sometimes do).

The canned foods I use: Weruva, Tiki Cats and Fussie Cat.

The kibble I use: Earthborn Holistic. I used Taste of the Wild for many years, successfully. I only stopped using it when a recall made it unavailable for several months.

Thank you for all the food recommendations! I looked at both local supermarkets. Dominick's carries Newman's Own and they both have Nine Lives, Iams, Friskies, Meow Mix and Fancy Feast. So that was kind of a wash. I'll go to Petsmart and the feed store next. Zoey's Eatz 'n' Treatz in Burr Ridge carries Origin, and so does the "dog boutique" near my mom and dad's house. There is a wonderful boutique out in Naperville called Two Bostons. That's a bit of a drive but the owner has set up a cat room and I know she sells food products. She also has neat items for people who love their pets and she really does have two Boston terriers who are sometimes in the shop - so it is a fun place to visit.

Freedom, I laughed out loud when I read the name Fussie Cat -- that's who I'm feeding! A fussy cat

p.s., the patient did get some of the fluids yesterday. Her fur got some and so did the towel underneath her . She is drinking well and I will try to do a better job of getting the fluids into her today. I've started probably dozens of IVs as a nurse, but this is not quite the same.