Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cassie's health

Thank you, everybody. I appreciate your encouragement and caring thoughts and prayers !
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Hugs and Purrayers for Cassie to get better. Do have a vet look at her mouth.

Hugz for Elyse.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I would also take her back to the ER vet so that they can look at her mouth again. Then you can take her to her regular vet hopefully on Monday. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to both of you. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm so sorry to read this distressing news (I didn't see it last night). Many prayers going out to Cassie and to you.

It does seem odd that it came on so suddenly - like it's a loose or broken tooth, or even a dislocated jaw. If you haven't done so already, then I am in agreement with all the others about getting her back to the vet. Is there a different ER vet to take her to?? - since I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling after they mentioned the PTS option without even knowing what is wrong! If not - then a trip to her regular vet on Monday is really a must, and you need to get her other issues addressed too.

I'm hoping you both had a better night. Please take care and let us know how things are going.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Good morning, everybody. Just reporting in... I can tell that Cassie is not herself. She is quiet and lying around, not taking an interest in things as usual. She is also calm, though. I am trying to get water mixed with a little liquid from 'pate' type cat food down her every hour or two. She's fought me when I've tried to do it but the last couple of times I am getting good solid swallows. Local vet opens at 7:45 AM tomorrow so I will get her in as soon as I can. (Local vet is about a 10-minute drive away and emergency vet is about 25 minutes away) If you'd keep us in your thoughts, I would appreciate that very much.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Continuing prayers and love and good wishes for Cassie and you, Elyse.

Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    She is quiet and lying around, not taking an interest in things as usual. She is also calm, though. .
    All this indicates a cat in pain. I am so sorry Cassie.

Sweet Cassie cat, good for you for swallowing the food - your mom is doing her best to help you.

I hope her love and care offsets the pain. Prayers that your regular vet finds the problem and that it is fixable! Hugs to you and your mom, and more prayers.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Sweet Cassie cat, good for you for swallowing the food - your mom is doing her best to help you.

I hope her love and care offsets the pain. Prayers that your regular vet finds the problem and that it is fixable! Hugs to you and your mom, and more prayers.
    Candace, Cassie does not HAVE a regular vet. There is no need for Cassie to be suffering all weekend like this, this is a perfect reason for the ER vet, there are no other vet records, and the cat is in pain. I am really upset that Cassie is being left to be in pain as she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Candace, Cassie does not HAVE a regular vet. There is no need for Cassie to be suffering all weekend like this, this is a perfect reason for the ER vet, there are no other vet records, and the cat is in pain. I am really upset that Cassie is being left to be in pain as she is.
    I agree with Sandie.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I'm so sorry to hear this. It sounds like Cassie is in pain and I think you should take her to the vet. Couldn't the emegency vet have given her something for pain, at least. Perhaps ring them and ask. If there's something serious wrong, why didn't they find out when they checked her?

I hope she will make it though this. Sending lots of good thoughts.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

We went back to the emergency vet today, and we are home. Cassie had blood work and a urine test. Her temp was 99.3 which is low for a cat. Her potassium was 3.4 which is just slightly low. The vet (different doctor than yesterday) looked at her mouth and thinks she has a mouth infection. Cassie got a shot of Convenia and 100 cc of sub-q fluids. I will be giving her 100 cc of sub-q fluids each day for 5 more days (meaning tomorrow will be day number 2 of 6). After the sixth day if she is eating well, we will go to every other day till the bag is gone (1 liter in the bag). She is drinking water and the vet said to offer her a variety of foods, whatever she will eat. Although she might not eat well for another couple of days. They took a blood sample for thyroid testing, but that is done off-site, so the results will take a few days. I am to call Wednesday to give an update and get the thyroid results, and we go back a week from Wednesday. At that time one of two things will happen, either she will get another dose of Convenia or they will schedule her dental work. One question, I thought they could not do the dental work because she is too thin for anesthesia. But I might have misunderstood. We will see the different docs in the practice (4 docs see patients for appointments and 2 or 3 handle emergencies) as we go. This practice has a doc on-site 24/7. I would hold off on switching her to a doctor closer to home until we get through the dental care. They also showed me a "before and after" picture of a cat's dental care so I could see how it looks afterward. Cassie just took a big drink of water from her bowl. I'm going to pick up some baby food puree and see if she will eat that. I feel better now that she has antibiotics and fluids in her.
    Also, I think I just wasn't connecting with the doctor yesterday. I heard what she said, but I didn't process it well. Today went better.

Thank you all ,
    Elyse

Quick update (as it is not my news to tell, really)

Elyse has had Cassie back to the ER vet; crisis over. Cassie has had vet care, is back home and feeling better, follow up visit is scheduled. Blood draw done, IV fluids for dehydration done, Convenia antibiotic shot done, dental issue has been identified.

I'll leave the details for Elyse to share; she had to go out to get somethings for Cassie and for herself.

I can't TELL you how relieved I am!

Elyse thanks so much for the update - big hugs to you and your sweet Cassie.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

An infection could very well cause all the problems she is having. So glad she is getting some antibiotics and drinking water on her own. Sometimes when our babies get sick, we are so frightened it's hard to focus on what the vet is saying. I've been down that road myself a few times.
    Of course, lots of prayers will continue for you both from me.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~