Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoe to the vet Update #22 Another update #25

Zoe to the vet Update #22 Another update #25

It's 5:30 a.m. I have dozed fitfully since 4:30 a.m. I am never up this early but couldn't get back to sleep.

Last night Cole was lying down on a shelving unit I put by the window in my office. It has a pillow and a comfy mat. The edge of the short curtains was on the pillow and mat and he started to slip.

I went to help him but he semi-fell to the floor, right in front of Zoe. She did a banshee freak-out, thinking she was being attacked. She went at Cole so fiercely that he peed himself. I hauled her out.
    Oscar waited outside the office door for her and chased her under the bed and hissed at her. Cole's protector I guess.

Not long after I went to bed Zoe got up and lay down by my left side and went to sleep. Oscar was on the other side of me. About 2 am Zoe spotted him and lunged for him; I had my hand on her so pulled her back. She went under the bed, a favourite spot.

4:30 am - Oscar is watching Zoe who is giving little growls under the bed. I had taken two small rags and sprayed Feliway on them...I know it doesn't work fast, but I had to try something so early.

ANYway, Zoe went on another banshee attack on Oscar. Again I pulled her away and she ran under the bed. I then noticed I needed a couple of bandaids, one on my right hand and the other on my left foot.

When I brought Zoe home just over 2 years ago things were going very well. Then there was another 'accidental' attack where all three of them went on a gallop out of my room and down the hall. Zoe, 9 lbs, was sandwiched between Cole and Oscar, each 16 lbs on a good day. They got to the living room and she attacked, banshee screams and all. Cole wet himself again. I kept Zoe separately in my bedroom for 3 or 4 days.

I will call the vet tomorrow. My regular vet is not in til Tuesday. I think Zoe needs a good checkup at least, a geriatric one, and maybe something mild and long term to take the edge off until she gets more comfortable with my two.

I wish I could turn the clock back, but I can't.

Prayers and good thoughts for Zoe and a more peaceful household, please. Thank you.

So I will call the vet tomorrow
    Last edited by Catty1; 04-02-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh poor Zoe, and poor Oscar and Cole and you, Candace! I hope the vet will come up with something that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    >
    >Prayers and good thoughts for Zoe and a more peaceful household, please. Thank you.
    You have them from us, Candace.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanks, Pat.

Things got quiet enough that I crawled back to bed about 7 and slept for another 2 1/2 hours. I needed it.

Cole has stayed hidden behind a chair; he threw up a hairball (though I'm sure the stress didn't help). I gave him some petmalt on his paw and fed him there. He ate all his breakfast and is doing well.

Oscar is hissing at Zoe; Zoe is making funny sounds at Oscar. They did have a chase/run-in but nothing as serious as earlier. I'll fix each of them up with a Feliway collar...heck, let's do the whole lot!

At least things have settled down for now.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yikes!! I sure hope things settle down for you - and sooner rather than later!

I can't imagine having a fighting crew. When I had multiple cats, they never fought, and my son's 2 cats don't either. I did have a dog that would tear into one of the others occasionally - he was a fear biter. As long as no one startled him tho, he was fine. And Myndi would on a rare occasion show Sparky who was the Alpha dog, but it was always a quick snap at him, then all was forgotten.

I don't think my nerves could stand a battling bunch!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

pom, it doesn't happen all the time. But what you said made me think that Zoe is a fear fighter. She IS half the size of the other two, and if one is accidentally falling in her direction, she certainly would see it as an attack!

She is fearful and distrustful of them both, though. She does touch noses on occasion with Cole. Oscar is the alpha cat and often all he has to do is stand still and just look at her to remind her! This usually happens is she is lying on my legs and he wants the spot.

Will keep you posted.

Thoughts and prayers for you and your fur-kids, Catty1!!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

My dear, little Zoe, I do hope your visit to the white coats goes well and you are ok. Perhaps, like me you need a little help to take some of your anxiety away. I am a much happier boy, though still really jumpy, since I've been on Prozac. I wish you all the best.

A fellow anxious kitty,

Diego
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Candace, I'm so sorry this is going on. It must be stressful for all involved.

Even if we didn't have the health reason for Pinot to be an only kitty, I'm afraid she would react like your Zoe, as she is so skittish. I hope you can get things calmed down.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I found the Sentry brand calming collars, 3 in a box, individually packaged for about $45.

I was going to collar all three kittys. However, since Zoe is the skittish one I put one on her. The package says it will take a couple of weeks to notice any changes.

She doesn't even know it's there! By the time I got home later today, Zoe and Oscar were within inches of each other, united under the banner of "You're late with our dinner!"

Cole seemed fine but didn't each much. That's usually a sign of tummy trouble, as in hairballs. That I can manage.

I will call the vet tomorrow. I'll see what the vet says. If it can wait a week or so til I get some more work that would be great. But if Zoe needs to go in, she will, no worries.

Thanks everyone.

ETA: Gayle, that's right - Diego would just suddenly up and attack his sister, right? That's like Zoe - if she thinks she is being attacked, she attacks! If she thinks Oscar and Cole have her cornered, she makes those weird sounds in her throat - even if she is not really cornered!

I just wanted to get something started right away ie the collar. I can always add meds to the collar.

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope that things settle down soon. I have to deal with cats fighting with each other on a daily basis. My two girls just don't get along well with their brothers and they only tolerate Sky. This morning I woke up to Pearl & Ziggy growling at each other so they also fight with each other. I've tried feliway plug-ins and spray and also the calming collars and nothing seems to work. My girls love me but no one else. Ziggy will growl and hiss at both Alani & Blaze even if they just look at her from across the room. I sure hope that your home will become peaceful again. Good luck.

Thanks Tracey and everyone.

I think Zoe would like to be an only cat...but that won't happen!

I've heard a couple of hisses tonight but nothing serious.

KAK, I wish things could improve for you.

Nancy Efrusy is a pet psychic that did some really neat things for pets and owners here. It crossed my mind to contact her.

Nite nite everyone.

Candace, I have talked to Nancy in the past when I was having problems with my RB Starr and also some behavioral problems with some of my other cats. I do remember her saying that Ziggy thought that there were too many cats and not enough food. I thought that was funny since she gets plenty to eat since I don't free feed any one. Before I adopted her, she was rescued by another PT'er who had more cats than I did. I just don't do well with female cats. They seem to be the ones that want to be only cats.

Zoe is physically fine except for ugly tartar on her back teeth. We're trying some dental dry food. She was SO affectionate with the staff and a really good girl for her urine and blood draw! She hadn't had access to a litter box after her breakfast so had a nice full bladder. The staff put Zoe back in the carrier, but not the towel...her bladder emptied the rest of the pee on the way back. I tried to wipe Zoe off, but she insisted on doing her own cleaning. I rinsed out the carrier in the tub - there was enough pee to slosh around a bit.

Am waiting for a scrip from a local pharmacy to be filled. Liquid SSRI for both Zoe and Oscar. It takes a couple of weeks to kick in but will hopefully stop the escalation between Zoe and Oscar.

She hadn't had a checkup in 2 years so decided to get the geriatric panels done. Got more petmalt, biotene water additive, weight control food for Cole, dental for Zoe, and the larger bag of Meditreats. Total was $340.00 for everything.

Her test results will be in tomorrow. The vet will call me tomorrow or Friday (she's off Thursday).

Thanks for all the good thoughts.

I picked up the liquid meds today - $82 and change for the two kitties. That wasn't as bad as I thought.

When I got home there was a message from my vet. All Zoe's blood work looked great except for a weird calcium level of 3.25. It's a bit high. The vet and I talked and I am going to lay off evaporated milk and warm water as a treat for a month then see about a blood recheck. If the level is normal, great. Further tests mean the blood has to be sent away frozen and costs $230.00

The idea with the meds was to see if they work then taper down to Feliway. That means getting ANOTHER round of meds to taper down. My vet said to try the calming collars for now, and to check with the pharmacy on an expiry date for the meds. If they will keep then we'll just watch the calming collars and taper from them if they work. I'll be out $82, but won't have to spend that again if the collars and then Feliway work.

Kinda wish I could return the meds. Anyone want some feline Prozac?

And of COURSE, cats being what they are, last night and today have been completely quiet.

ETA: I had literally JUST saved this message when I heard a hiss. *sigh*

I'm glad Zoe's a mostly healthy girlie!

I keep a couple of break away collars and feliway on hand even though Diego is on the Prozac. If Cali gets to playing nicely he is determined to put a stop to it regardless of his meds. When an issue arises I spray both collars with feliway and apply one to each cat. That way Diego gets his own dose and if he continues to go after Cali he gets a dose from her too. Thusfar I've had no problems once I collar each cat.

I hope you can get peace in the household soon.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21