Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cassie's health

I just came back from Petco and I scored a 5 lb. bag of Wellness Core for $10! I've always heard this food was good for cats with urinary tract health issues. Now I've looked online and some people said this was not a good food for cats who have urinary tract issues. Ming has had blockages and I wonder if I bought the wrong food. Does any have any experience with this food? Thanks in advance.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    looked at both local supermarkets. .
    Elyse, cats need high quality grain free food. Supermarket quality is junk, no way you are going to find a good food at a s.m. Just the fact that you looked there tells me you still aren't grasping how important this is! You do need to be at a specialty store.

Duck and Peas? REALLY?~! Cats do not get any nutrition from peas, other legumes or vegetables; all that is just filler. Sorry, no way that is a good food for cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Elyse, cats need high quality grain free food. Supermarket quality is junk, no way you are going to find a good food at a s.m. Just the fact that you looked there tells me you still aren't grasping how important this is! You do need to be at a specialty store.
    I didn't expect to find anything higher than one-star food at Jewel, and that's what they carry. Well, they do have Iams which is maybe higher than one star. But I thought perhaps Dominick's might have something better. I'll go to the specialty locations instead.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh Elyse, running around to all the different places is so . . . 1900's! This is the 21st Century!

Go to each amnufacturer's website, for the food you want to try. They will have a locator in their menu; put in oyour zip code and see what's where.

Even then, you just go to each places' website and some will have their price list posted so you have an idea who has the best prices. THEN you get in the car and start checking them out.

So do you want to try Weruva? Go to the Weruva webiste for a first step.
    Want to try Orijen? Same thing go to the website.

Now, what about her kidneys, what did the Senior CBC show? you have only mentioned her thyroid levels. As you know from nursing, if the kidneys are compromised, you may want something lower in protein to give them a break. You can check the ingredients lists on the rating table, which also shows the guaranteed analysis, and compare the protein % so you have a good idea of which brand and which formula you want to try.

All done from the comfort of your own home, with Cassie comfortably ensconced by your side!

Elyse, you can also call different pet stores because sometimes the store locators on the websites give some false information. Some of the stores may carry the brand but not the exact product that you're looking for. It's happened to me a few times. Now I just call before I drive any where.

If you still want Cassie on a grain free diet that has lower protein, then you might want to try Merrick's Before Grain dry food. I currently feed all of my cats this dry food in the Chicken and Salmon flavors. I buy it from Pet Club but I know you don't have one in your location. Petco also sells it. I don't think that Petsmart does. Merrick also makes canned Before Grain but most of my cats didn't like it so I don't buy it any more. I actually had to return most of it. The only canned food that I found to be palatable to all of my cats has been Wellness grain free. They have many different flavors like Chicken, Chicken & Herring, Turkey, Turkey & Salmon, Beef & Chicken, and Beef & Salmon and all of these are grain free. Since I have so many cats now, I buy the large cans of it and I found that An Jan Feed & Supply store sells it for the best price. They only carry the small cans at Pet Club. Petco and Petsmart also have it but it's more expensive. If you do have a feed store near you, I'd call them to see what kinds of better quality cat foods that they carry because they will usually be less expensive than the big chain stores. I was also told that cats who are used to eating the cheaper grocery store canned food seemed to adapt easier to the Wellness canned food. Here's their website: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/index.aspx. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    I just came back from Petco and I scored a 5 lb. bag of Wellness Core for $10! I've always heard this food was good for cats with urinary tract health issues. Now I've looked online and some people said this was not a good food for cats who have urinary tract issues. Ming has had blockages and I wonder if I bought the wrong food. Does any have any experience with this food? Thanks in advance.
    I used to feed this dry food to most of my cats but then they didn't like it any more. I had just heard that all grain free foods are much better for cats with urinary problems so I don't really know much other than that. Now it's too expensive for me to feed my 10 cats and Alani & Blaze didn't do well on it because it was too rich for their sensitive tummies. I hope that your boys will like it.

Here's two links you may want to read: http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/cathealth.htm and http://suite101.com/article/is-a-gra...my-cat-a231213.

Thanks, KAK!! That article was really helpful and I feel better about this food now. Ming seems just fine, so I will most likely finish the bag. But, all of them seem to prefer Solid Gold Indigo Moon best of all, so that will be my next dry purchase.

Back to Cassie. How is she doing? Are the fluids getting any easier to give her? I'm thinking good thoughts for your little girl.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Elyse, how is Cassie doing today? Please give her some headscritchies from me, okay?

The fluids are getting harder, in a way, because Cassie is feeling better, so she can try to get up and start walking away while it's still running. Freedom gave me a terrific suggestion for how to do it so I wouldn't need to keep a hand on the bag. I kind of cuddle her with one hand and hold the needle with the other. She is muuuuuuch better, eating and drinking readily and using the litter pan. We go back to the doctor this coming Wednesday after work. Thank you for thinking of us!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh, what good news!

My Poppaea gets fluids every day, and she's a squirmer too. I sit on the toilet seat and put her on my lap, then cuddle her around her head end with my left hand and arm and lift the skin flap with that hand, then put the needle in with my right hand. I have the fluid bag itself hanging up high from the shower curtain rod.

Sometimes I make Poppaea into a burrito, I wrap a towel around her (to the degree that it will stay wrapped on her). That helps a little.. sometimes.

Good luck! And more loads of love and best wishes and healing energies to Cassie and you.

Last edited by phesina; 03-09-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Keep getting better Cassie!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

What wonderful news! And she gets cuddle time with Mom! I am so glad she is feeling so much better!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm glad to hear that she's feeling better. I hope that everything goes well with her vet visit on Wed. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Been wondering how Cassie has been doing.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.