Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cassie's health

Cassie's health

Please pray for Cassie and me. After she ate this morning, she started wiping her mouth with her paws, chattering her teeth and drooling. She wasn't able to close her mouth. Things improved only slightly after a couple of hours so I did take her to the emergency vet. The vet was not able to close her mouth. She is very thin and her kidneys feel very small. The vet does not think I have much time left with her. They offered me the option of blood work, x-rays and keeping her overnight for fluids. I could not think straight so I asked that they put her back in the carrier so I could bring her home. Now I think I should have let them keep her there for blood work and fluids. The bill for x-rays, blood work and fluids would have been $625. I was there alone with her and was not expecting them to diagnose her with something as significant as this. I brought her home, she stepped right out of the carrier and now she is right here with me. I truly don't know what I should have done. She is back to licking her mouth and pawing at it; I'm not sure why. They asked if she could have hit her head on anything or fallen from anything. Unless she hit her head or fell when I wasn't home, I don't know of such an occurrence. There was also blood on the thermometer when they took her temperature. They did say that pts was an option but I was in no position to make that decision. She is here with me, I have syringes to try to get fluids down her if she doesn't drink on her own. I do not know what to do now except to stay right here and keep an eye on her. Please say a prayer for us; I just want my kitty girl back. She seemed fine this morning before she ate, meowing and following me around as she usually does.

Thank you all,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Prayers on the way. Any klam juice handy?
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers on the way for dear Cassie and you too!!! Could she have a loose tooth or something caught between her teeth? The way she is pawing makes me wonder.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prayers for Cassie and you, Elyse. May she be with you for a long time.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and ,
    Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm sorry you and Cassie are having a hard time. Sometimes it's difficult to know what to do. Prayers for both of you.

Is there a way to have her regular vet examine her? Did the vet have any idea about the pawing and licking her mouth? Still hoping for good things for Cassie. That was definitely an unexpected report. How old is she?

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Oh Elyse, I'm sorry you didn't get better news. I will be praying for Cassie and for you. (hugs)
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Elyse my heart goes out to you and dear Cassie. I also wonder if her regular vet should be consulted and wish I had more comforting suggestions for you. Please hold that little one close and give her a gentle hug for me.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Please pray for Cassie and me. After she ate this morning, she started wiping her mouth with her paws, chattering her teeth and drooling. She wasn't able to close her mouth. Things improved only slightly after a couple of hours so I did take her to the emergency vet. The vet was not able to close her mouth. . . . .There was also blood on the thermometer when they took her temperature. They did say that pts was an option but I was in no position to make that decision. She is here with me, I have syringes to try to get fluids down her if she doesn't drink on her own. I do not know what to do now except to stay right here and keep an eye on her.

Elyse
    Oh dear, and of course it is a SATURDAY, and now the evening / night besides.

If she can't close her mouth, there is a problem. This needs to be addressed. I would go back with her to the ER vet and have them work on that issue. She can't be comfortable unable to close her mouth. If she fell and hit something, it would have to be after she ate her breakfast. I would ask them if she is in pain especially with the mouth problem. I don't see how that could be connected to the kidney issue, ask about that. I can't stand having any of my pets in pain, so that is what I would do at this point. And the fluids will make her feel lots better as well.

They should NOT charge you all the initial fees over again if you return today. If you wait till morning, that will be a tougher argument to make. You know the ones I mean? Here is $105 just to walk in the door, that fee.

Prayers from RI.

OK I just did a google search. A cat with its mouth open, can't close it, pawing at mouth, that is a sick cat with oral pain. Usually an infected tooth but can be other things (mouth lesions, etc).

Please go back to the ER vet and let them do something for her. I can't stand having pets in pain.

Elyse, this really needs to be carefully investigated. I'm not going to say what I'm thinking (although Moesha is well aware), but the area under the tongue needs to be well looked over. Please make every effort to have this looked at.

I hope you and Cassie have a long time to love one another. Keep us posted.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I agree that dealing with the mouth problem should be top priority. I'm not sure how blood work would diagnose that. Maybe an X-ray of her head would help. If she is dehydrated, fluids would make her feel better. Just take one thing at a time and try not to be overwhelmed. We all know you have Cassie's best interest at heart. Be her advocate. Don't be afraid to ask questions about why they want to do certain tests. I'd concentrate on the immediate problem of her mouth. The other things may need to be addressed but could probably be done by during a regular vet visit at a more reasonable price. We are all here to give you support.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Aw, I am sorry. It sounds like dental problems and she may need a tooth extracted or meds for an infection. I would get her back in, the vets are there to help you.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Prayers and hugs for Cassie and for you. I hope you can take her back and have them look more carefully in her mouth and under her tongue. Would Cassie let you have a look? Maybe while you are syringing water into her?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Elyse,

I just replied to your message and agree with the other posts here that the issue with Cassie's mouth needs more investigation. Please call the friend (ER) you have mentioned - he may be able to give you the best direction to take right now.

Lots of love to you and Cassie.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu