Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zoe to the vet Update #22 Another update #25

Well, only one more week til the collars should START showing results. The meds take the same length of time, so no biggie.

I can keep the bedroom door open at night. Nothing horrid happens. If Oscar gives chase (his tail was less poofy today) Zoe is usually under the bed already. If not, I put her in the bedroom and close the door. And I shoo Oscar away.

Zoe hasn't screeched but she did yowl when Oscar and Cole kind of had her cornered.

Mom thinks I have too many cats. The HS is full of kitties looking for homes. Even though Zoe was the last to arrive here, I could never never give her away!

Prayers for improvement in the near future.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I hope that the collars and meds will work and that everthing will settle down in your home. Good luck. My parents have been telling me that I have too many cats for many many years now. They even thought that having 2 at a time was one too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I picked up the liquid meds today - $82 and change for the two kitties. That wasn't as bad as I thought.

When I got home there was a message from my vet. All Zoe's blood work looked great except for a weird calcium level of 3.25. It's a bit high. The vet and I talked and I am going to lay off evaporated milk and warm water as a treat for a month then see about a blood recheck. If the level is normal, great. Further tests mean the blood has to be sent away frozen and costs $230.00

The idea with the meds was to see if they work then taper down to Feliway. That means getting ANOTHER round of meds to taper down. My vet said to try the calming collars for now, and to check with the pharmacy on an expiry date for the meds. If they will keep then we'll just watch the calming collars and taper from them if they work. I'll be out $82, but won't have to spend that again if the collars and then Feliway work.

Kinda wish I could return the meds. Anyone want some feline Prozac?

And of COURSE, cats being what they are, last night and today have been completely quiet.

ETA: I had literally JUST saved this message when I heard a hiss. *sigh*
    Hi Candace, I wanted to let you know that my RB Storm also had high calcium levels for several years. He was eating a vet prescription diet of Royal Canin Urinary S/O for his urinary problems. Later when I changed vets and diets for all of my cats to grain free, his calcium levels improved within the normal range. What kind of food is Zoe being fed? This could be due to her diet.

AHA! KAK, thank you!

Since Oscar blocked early in 2012 he has been back on the Royal Canin SO. It was easier to have all three on the same kibble.

Since Zoe went to the vet I have her on Dental kibble and got Weight Control for Cole (Oscar likes it too, which is great!).

I'll use up the RC SO on Oscar.

I'll also let my vet know about the calcium and SO. She's really open to things like that.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    AHA! KAK, thank you!

Since Oscar blocked early in 2012 he has been back on the Royal Canin SO. It was easier to have all three on the same kibble.

Since Zoe went to the vet I have her on Dental kibble and got Weight Control for Cole (Oscar likes it too, which is great!).

I'll use up the RC SO on Oscar.

I'll also let my vet know about the calcium and SO. She's really open to things like that.

Thanks again!
    You're very welcome. Let's hope that this is being caused by her diet and nothing more. If it is being caused by diet alone, it still may take a while for her calcium level to get back into the normal range. I would wait at least 6 months and then get some more bloodwork done on her. Good luck.

Just saw this thread. I hope the situation continues to improve. A few of mine like to argue and fight, too.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Well, well, well. It's just about the end of Week 3. The collars were supposed to start showing results this week.

Things are MUCH better. Zoe, Oscar AND Cole all sleep in my bedroom. Zoe is atop the cat post looking out the window or on her special 'mat'. Oscar and Cole are on the bed. When I am in bed Zoe and Oscar are on the bed at the same time - in different spots of course! It is SO nice to have Cole back on the bed; he was so scared for quite some time. I started grooming him often again, and rubbing his tummy. It's so nice to hear him purring and coming for head and neck scritchies again!

Of course, there is a session of hissing every so often, but NOTHING like the banshee flip-outs that were happening before.

On the 19th I am to call the vet. Zoe will be having her calcium level rechecked and we will likely transition to the Feliway collars. That is, I buy the Feliway and collars and dose them twice a day.

The Dental food has really reduced a lot of the tartar Zoe had on her back upper molars! My vet suggested this to see if we could avoid the cost of a dental cleaning. So far, so good!

Things are good now. On to the collars!

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Oh. what a lot of wonderful good news! Happy dances here!

May all go well with the vet next week, and may the Feliway collars really do the trick.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

This is great news!!! I hope that the peace continues.

Zoe and Oscar have graduated to fabric cat collars with Feliway squirted into them twice a day. Little wriggly Zoe is hard to dose in the evenings, but I'm 1 for 2 so far.

Her calcium levels were redone one month later. I can't recall the normal level - let's say it's 2.5. The vet left a message saying it's 2.6 - and that is down from 3.25!

He said that since she is doing well in all other areas that this is fine, but I can call if I have any questions.

So all is well...just need to see how the actual Feliway dose affects Zoe in the next week or two.

Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers. I am forwarding them to Merlin and Sparkler.

I'm so glad to hear that everyone is doing well. Thanks for keeping us updated.