Thread: How this military family of four lives well on just $14,000 per year

How this military family of four lives well on just $14,000 per year

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/mil...001249660.html

In the years since the recession, the median household income in the U.S. has dropped to just over $50,000, while fixed costs like health care, higher education, and housing have only soared.
    Now imagine trying to support a family of four on a fraction of that income.
    It's a reality that Danielle Wagasky and her family have lived with for the last four years.

And, perhaps a little surprisingly, they wouldn't have it any other way.
    Wagasky, 28, and her husband, Jason, 31, moved with their two young children to a three-bedroom family home in Las Vegas, Nevada in 2009. Jason, a member of the U.S. Army, was fresh off a tour in Iraq and decided to go back to school complete his undergraduate degree.
    Her blog: Blissful and Domesticated

Book that inspired her (check for it at the library!): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/030...issanddomes-20
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Neat story, but the $14K/year budget started AFTER they bought the house.

Being that that's the major expenditure for most families, the budget is entirely conceivable.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Yes, but their house only cost them $30,000 with the kitchen make-over. A young couple with two small children, a 3 bedroom house costing 30k can be a very tight fit (my sister and her hubby are expecting their first child in May and live in a house that cost maybe $35k, is considered 3 bedroom [one of the rooms is the size of a closet, really] and it is smaller than the condo I currently rent [not by much, but still].). So... I still think, even without a mortgage, living off 14k a year with 2 small children is quite the feat. Even I make more than that (but not by much...) and I have trouble making ends meet with student loans, and I don't have kids!!!

facebook