Thread: Caring for old Myndi

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Caring for old Myndi

Taking care of this old girl, is somewhat like taking care of a baby, all over again. I sure don't mind it, and as long as it keeps her safe and happy, then I'm all for it.

Being that she has a problem with those old back legs of hers, she really needs a pretty solid surface to be able to walk right. She sleeps on the bed with me at night which is solid, but just soft enough to sometimes have her lose her balance a little. She has taken a tumble off the bed on several occasions - I'll hear a thud in the middle of the night - and sure enough - she's on the floor! One night I heard it and jumped up and couldn't find her - she had fallen down between the bed and nightstand and couldn't get out. Well I sure don't need her breaking anything - or worse - so now I had to come up with a solution to prevent this. So I took the baby gate and put it up at the head of the bed, between the bed and nightstand so she couldn't fall down there anymore. So what does she do??? - falls off a little further down where the gate doesn't protect her. So I ended up having to buy one of those guard rails that are used to keep toddlers from falling out of bed. So far - so good - and no more thuds in the middle of the night. She's actually quite content to sleep up at the head too, since I've been putting the super soft and comfy pillow bed that she and Sparky both loved, on the bed.

She's been doing much better with her potty problem, but I was keeping a baby diaper on her at night. Such a pain to get to fit right and having to cut a hole in them for her tail - and she hated them!!! So I bought her cute panties which I just put a pad in, and they are so much easier to put on her too. She doesn't even seem to mind them - guess because I tell her they look cute on her. I've ordered her another pair too - I got them from the lady that I got Sparky's belly bands from. She does such quality work - all made to order/great workmanship/low price - not like the mass produced junk at high prices that are found most places.

Oh - what we won't do for our little furry kids......

A few pics - of her sleeping arrangement and modeling her new fancy pants.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myn b'day 17-2013016.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	952.6 KB 
ID:	56047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myn b'day 17-2013019.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	721.8 KB 
ID:	56048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myn b'day 17-2013021.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	808.2 KB 
ID:	56049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	other 2013002.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	942.1 KB 
ID:	56050  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Tell her that pale blue is good color on her! The things we do for the ones we love!
    I've Been Frosted

What a cutie!

We do go to great lengths for them don' t we? I have two 16 year old dogs right now & 5 who are 13! I often say that living with Hobo is like living with a senile toddler!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Myndi looks cute in her new lingerie. Pretty color too. You did a great job coming up with these
    inovations to keep her safe at nighttime. If she ever goes down to the foot of the bed, you
    could place pillows around on the floor to make her landing softer.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Aww Myndi, your mommy sure loves you!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

We sure do have to be creative when caring for our pets! Myndi is lucky to have such a considerate Mom. Sorry she went BUMP! in the night a few times. My, does she REALLY allow you an entire HALF of the bed? I should be so lucky! Ha ha haaa

Myndi you look postively elegant in your night time attire! Take care to stay up at the top of the bed and kiss your mum for taking such good care of you.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Princess Myndi no doubt--- you really fixed things so she can't fall, let's hope the end of the bed doesn't attract her....although I'm sure you'll find a way to barricade that too.. That dog has to know how much she's loved... those little panties are just so sweet, color suits her perfectly. Love the pictures, she almost looks like she made the effort to look extra cute ..
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Hello, dear Myndi! How smart of mum to figure out a way for you to be safe! Sending you gentle kisses, sweety!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Blog Entries
    Mandi looks cute in her doggie drawers. You are a great mom going the extra mile to assure Mandi has a good life in her senior years.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

oh, How good of you (and I would do the same for mine if necessary) to make sure Myndi is comfy and safe from hurting herself. I'm sure she knows how much you love her and vice versa. Very clever of you to come up with ways to make sure she's safe while sleeping in the bed with you. She's your sweet baby! Yes, we need to take care of our furbabies when they need help.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Thanks for all the nice comments - I really appreciate them.

I think I have all the bases covered re: - her falling out of bed. She doesn't go by the foot of the bed (like in the one pic) except when she's waiting for me to turn on the t.v. and turn out the light and come to bed with her. Then she comes up on her pillow. But just in case and to be on the safe side, I do toss some pillows on the floor.

And as far as her being good and giving me half the bed to myself - no problem. However it was a different story when Sparky was still here and it was 3 on the bed. I usually found myself clinging as close to the edge as possible without actually falling off! Sparky took his third share wherever he wanted and he was a big bed hog!

At 17, who knows how much more time that she has , but I intend to make that time she is still with me, as safe and comfy and happy for her as I possibly can!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

That's great that you're making everything as comfortable as possible for Myndi.

My Jakey has fell off the bed a few times. He's much younger and bigger than Myndi though.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Really clever innovations you thought up there, I'm impressed. What a good mum you are, Ellie, Myndi is one lucky little girl to have you. Please give her a kiss from me.

What a great idea. I'm sure she appreciates everything you do for her. My cats love to sleep at the foot of the bed especially Sky. I've accidentally kicked him off the bed a few times when I try to stretch my legs. Only Pearl, Ziggy, & Sky are allowed to sleep with me. If I let everyone, I'd never get any sleep.