Thread: Introducing... my sugar gliders!

Hybrid View

Introducing... my sugar gliders!

I've had my girl (top) for a few weeks now and recently picked up a companion for her and didn't want to make an announcement until they were all settled in, but... I would like you all to meet my two newest additions!

As soon as I complete the finishing touches on their mansion of a cage we built for them last weekend (seriously, they have a ton of toys, but it is so much bigger than their previous cage that it looks barren!) I'll have to show you pics of that as well.

I am just smitten by these two. Sweetest things EVER. And no, we haven't decided on names yet!

(this pic was taken at the breeder's house and we were in her bathroom)
    Last edited by Jessika; 03-04-2013 at 04:49 PM.

facebook

Awww, welcome to Pet Talk, sugies!
    I've Been Frosted

They are a LOT more work than you're led to believe. We have spent a FORTUNE on them since bringing the girl home (a number I'm actually embarrassed to admit). We brought my girl to the breeder's house to pick out a friend... she has expensive tastes (a ringtail mosaic)... but it was worth it to get a suggie that we knew she would get along with.

To anyone ever even remotely considering getting a Sugar Glider as a pet... some words of advice. FIRST AND FOREMOST, check out http://glidercentral.net. You will find a plethora of good information there. Secondly, DO NOT purchase one on impulse and DO NOT EVER purchase one from anyone other than a breeder. There are many mill breeders you will find at mall kiosks, etc, a popular one is Perfect Pocket Pets (they call them "Sugar Bears" to confuse new owners). PLEASE take my advice.

We really really REALLY lucked out with our girl, but I will admit she was an impulse buy and if I knew then what I know now, I'm not sure we ever would have brought one home. But we did, and we are doing everything within our power (and budget) to make sure we are providing for them the best we can, and she really is a joy to have. She is bonded to us already!!! From what I can tell... they have it PRETTY good...

facebook

I always, always recommend people do their research first, especially with "exotic" pets! Glad you are doing more research now, to make sure these gals have a good, happy life! Those big dark eyes are natural heart-melters, aren't they?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I always, always recommend people do their research first, especially with "exotic" pets! Glad you are doing more research now, to make sure these gals have a good, happy life! Those big dark eyes are natural heart-melters, aren't they?
    Well the thing is, my boyfriend had some some research on them years ago, so he had a basic knowledge about it. Then the salesmen at PPP reeled us in with a "that information is outdated and here is why" speech and I am NOT one to normally fall into the sales pitch trap, but embarrassingly, we both totally did. That girl is dang lucky she ended up with us and not someone who would have listened to them blindly... We brought her to the vet days after bringing her home, and she is in perfect health (the vets at my clinic don't see exotics).

facebook

Oh how cool, what cuties! Have you named them yet?
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla