Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all the ladies here that turned 60...

For all the ladies here that turned 60...

I'd like to ask all the ladies here that are 60 how they handled it. By that, I mean psychologically. Would love to hear your experiences.

I had a tough time. I went underground for 2 days. Didn't take phone calls, emails, nothing. My emotions were all over the map. I got a tablet and a wireless router for my bithday and tried setting it up. Two hours of TRYING to understand the technician, I was about ready to hurl it across the room. As I'm cleaning up cat puke from BOTH senior cats while on hold, I finally gave up. That put me over the edge. It was also 3 years ago that I lost my beloved MooShoo.

The last time I had an episode that bad was my 30th birthday. It snowed 2 feet of snow, I was pregnant and sat in my pjs crying for 3 days straight.

Can't WAIT to see what 65 feels like! NOT!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Donna, I hated to reveal a lady's true age, so that's why I didn't. I'm so sorry to hear of all that was on your mind that day. My soggy shoulder is still here to lean on.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Bad day - huh Donna??? So sorry, but 60 isn't so bad. Really!!!

Actually for me, I just considered it just one day older than 59 and that much closer to retirement. Little did I know that in 2 years I would be forced into disability retirement - not exactly the way I thought it would go. And it was a lousy day ~~~ I spent it on an Amtrak train headed to FL for the memorial service for my brother who had passed away a couple of weeks earlier. If it hadn't been for that, it would have been just another day.

For me, 30 was a real downer. In a crappy marriage and staying there for the sake of the kids, my father had passed away just the month before, and my mother told me I was getting too old to be wearing my hair long. HUH???? Did I listen to her??? - yup - I cut it and have regretted it ever since. Oh those words of wisdom from Mom!!!!!

And 65 - piece of cake. A big sigh of relief that I actually made it that far in spite of the odds against it, and I am officially on "regular" S.S. and Medicare, and I no longer have to pay those pricey insurance premiums that I was socked with when paying thru the COBRA program.

I'll be 69 in April, and that idea isn't bothering me in the least. How will I handle 70 next year if I'm still around??? - I don't have a clue, but I do know that I don't even like the sound of it!

I'm not really worried about any numerical figure at this stage of the game tho - I'm just thankful when I actually get to see the next one. We sure can't change the process, so why fret over it? I just consider myself fortunate that I'm able to get out of bed every morning (tho stiffly and slowly), and can take care of myself (and Myndi), and go where I want and do what I want. As long as I can do that and not depend on others for my needs, then I'm a happy camper.

Take care Donna - things will look better when the flowers bloom and the grass turns green and the birds sing...
    Last edited by pomtzu; 02-15-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Here are some good things about getting older.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/201...ly_people.html
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Here are some good things about getting older.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/201...ly_people.html
    That was a hoot Liz - thanks for posting.

A few years ago a friend gave me a pretty stained glass sun catcher with flowers, hummingbirds and butterflies on it, and a separate little one that hangs from the bottom which reads - "age improves with wine".

When the kids asked me what I wanted for Christmas last year I told them a "Lifestyle Lift"! Hey - I was dead serious!!!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Donna, I'm sorry to hear that you're having some problems. I can relate a little even though I haven't even turned 60 yet. I turned 50 in Dec. and I'm having a hard time dealing with this age. I also started going through peri-menopause so this isn't making things any easier. I hope you'll start feeling better soon.

I'm the wrong gender to reply to this thread, but I am the right age, so I'll answer anyway.

I admit that I had some difficulty dealing with this particular age, despite the fact that I'm already retired by choice and loving that. I've downplayed birthdays for years. I get it that there's no rational reason I should feel this way, but I do anyway. I don't put my birthday on Facebook so that I won't get any messages on the day, and I always manage not to let the date slip out when people try to find out.

And I hate the fact that when I look in the mirror I see my grandfather.

At least I can take comfort in that fact that when I directed a play a couple of years ago that had an all teen cast, I was declared by one of the kids in the show to be the "chillest old dude ever." (And I wasn't even 60 yet at the time.)

So I do totally understand how you feel; I don't have any answers, but you're not alone in feeling as you do. But happy birthday, anyway!

Donna, I know you were looking for 60 year olds - I'm not there yet, but I hope it's OK to comment.

I will be 53 this year. The last 'bad' birthday I had (when I beat up on myself) was 26. There were certain things that were, and were not, supposed to have been accomplished at that particular point in time. I went over that mental list until it made me insane, got over it, and decided to never do that again. I have kept that promise to myself. Birthdays are milestones to be appreciated, not excuses to make your life hell. There are enough opportunities for that.

Oh-and the menopause thing, KAK - I had the plumbing yanked and skipped the whole thing.

Donna, please try and enjoy the weekend of your birthday, find someone to hook up the router, clean up the puke, kiss the kitties, savor the memory of your beloved MooShoo and move on.

Love, Maggie & Pinot
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Hi Donna, I'm with Ellie.. 60 isn't so bad. I'm 68, will turn 69 in June.. so 70 is looming over the horizon. (Now THAT seems like a big one to me, to be approached with trepidation!)

Yes, to borrow from Maggie, kiss the kitties, savor the memory of your beloved MooShoo and the others who are waiting at the Bridge, and count your blessings. You have done so much, brought about so much good, dear lady, and have so much more to do!

Happy birthday!

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and ,
    Pat, Poppy, Elmer, Bob, Sparkler, and Princess Poppaea Sabina Eugenia
    Last edited by phesina; 02-16-2013 at 04:22 AM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

As a full fledged senior citizen now at 62, 60 never bothered me at all. It's just a number. I'm only one day older than I was yesterday after all. Of course, I never have even admitted to being middle aged yet, so that might be why. The birthday that really got me down and made me cry for days was my 25th one. I have no reason why.

Now, I don't really pay attention to birthdays. Just try to take my life one day at a time and enjoy it as much as possible. I love the small things like sunshine coming through my window and warming my shoulders, or the cat babies I have now. When I start to worry, I play Scarlet O'Hara and promise to worry about it tomorrow!!! Then put it off!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I see any day on this side of the sod as a FABULOUS day - even if has crappy tendencies.

My 59th birthday is next month. 60 is looming closer for me. I'm working at making 60 a positive thing. I've decided I'm going to throw myself a birthday party. The last party I had was my 4th birthday. My reasoning - my father died at 44; my mother died at 59 and my sister died at 58. If I make it to 60 (which I plan to do); I will have outlived 3 close relatives.

My only hope is that another of my sisters (who just this week was just diagnosed with stomach cancer) will be alive to attend my party.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Yes, to borrow from Elyse, kiss the kitties, savor the memory of your beloved MooShoo and the others who are waiting at the Bridge, and count your blessings.
    Elyse?
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

EEK! Oh, I'm so sorry, Maggie.. Somehow I read that one as Cassiesmom..

Not the first time I've mixed you two up, but I thought I had you both down by now.

Chalk it up to old age (encroaching senility?), I guess.

Meanwhile, I'll fix that right now..
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Yes, to borrow from Elyse, kiss the kitties, savor the memory of your beloved MooShoo and the others who are waiting at the Bridge, and count your blessings. You have done so much, brought about so much good, dear lady, and have so much more to do!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    Elyse?
    Elyse here. First, i have to admit I "un-corrected" Phesina's post . Second, I couldn't agree more.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

aww Donna my dear friend, it is merely a number, i will let ya know when i get there hon, but seriously, i felt a bit that way when i turned the big 50,but i am well and truly over it, hey i am looking forward to getting my senior discounts, like cheap movies, food etc etc, so think on the bright side,i got a little ways to go yet, but time sure flies,i think i just feel gosh i cannot believe i am getting that old,as long as my mind stays good that makes me happy, the body well it is well and truly on the way out, lol, anyhow hope you are feeling a bit better about it all now.HUGS
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️