Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Beloved Cat Died Alone @ Home

My Beloved Cat Died Alone @ Home

About 4 weeks ago my beloved 16 y/o female cat threw a blood clot. It passed & then she threw another blood clot last friday. Last sat (2/9/13) she was in her favorite cat house sleeper & she lay her head on her paws & moaned in pain. My phone was having problems so i went next door to use the phone to call my boss & tell her whats going on so i can rush salem to the vet (i was suppose to work). When i got back salem was dead. I was only gone 5 mins. I did not want her to die alone but she did. Now i feel VERY guilty. I know all about nasty blood clots & salem was most likely going to be pts. She was never the same again & her appetite was terrible. I really miss her & have enjoyed her company for over 14 yrs (i adopted her in the fall of 1998). Just last dec 27th my other 16 y/o cat who has been with me since 10/98 died of a mouth tumor. I feel like i lost 2 of my kids (i have no children). I currently have 3 cats ages 7-12 (maybe older) but its much different now. Salem & buddy were top cats here & best of friends. It sure is a lonely feeling. I did bury salem about 2 feet next to buddy. No one including animals should die alone but i know stuff happens. At least salem died in her fav cat house in familiar surroundings. I miss salem & buddy dearly.

I've always been told cats prefer to go alone. She probably waited until you were gone to make her journey to see Buddy. Cats always hide when its time to go.
    Please do not feel bad. She knows how much you love her and will miss her.

RIP Salem, I hope you and Buddy are having a grand time at the Rainbow Bridge together once again.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I know how you feel and I struggle with the guilt all the time.

I was at work when my cat passed. I shouldn't have left in the morning when he meowed at me, but I had to go to work. He was gone by the time I came home, he passed in the same place I left him.

Everyone says he meowed to say goodbye, but he was the kind of cat that was velcro'd to me and I still feel that I should have been there....
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

It is okay, do not feel guilty. Salem knew how much you loved her, and that matters more than that last moment. Love lives on, seat never wins.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Don't feel guilty - most animals prefer to die alone if they have the ability to do it - domesticated and wild ones alike. I've had 2 cats pass on at home, and they both picked out hiding places in the house to do it. The kids also had rabbits outside in a hutch when they were small, and the last survivor actually chewed thru the wire of the hutch to get out to go off and die. Fortunately I found him before the kids did.
    Salem is at peace now and would not want you to feel guilty. I'm sure she knew you were trying to help her and loves you for all of your love and companionship over the years.

RIP Salem
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'm so sorry about your precious Salem.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Salem had trouble breathing & was heading towards the back of the tv. I picked her up & held her & then put her in her cat sleeper house. A few mins later she was moaning in terrible pain & died shortly after. I just cant get that moaning out of my head. Salem was always running around the house & very talkative. When i talked on the phone she was often meowing at me. After salem threw the first blood clot her quality of life was not good. She was quiet for a few weeks but when she stopped eating i knew the end was near. I wish i knew about this website. http://www.vin.com/FATCAT/

I am so sorry for your loss of your beloved Salem.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanks for the posts. Its been 1 week since salem,s death. A neighbor yesterday made a rude comment to me stating that maybe it was a blessing in disguise that my 2 cats died due to my financial situation. That hurt but this lady is always making rude comments to people. Forgive those who cant help themselves.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Taz Zoe is right. Cats prefer to be alone. That's why a cat in the wild (and even outdoor pets) runs away to die. It's hard when they're sick and can't tell you.

MooShoo did the same exact thing 3 years ago 2/13. He was only 10. Feels like yesterday.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I can empathize. Years ago, I took in a neutered male, obviously quite old. I don't remember how long he was with me, but he'd obviously been someone's pet - even the vacuum cleaner didn't bother him! When he became ill, I drove him to the vet. Since he'd already been abandoned at least once in his life, I promised him that I'd bring him home; he wasn't going to be abandoned again! The vet diagnosed FeLV and offered to send him on to the Bridge right then - but I'd promised him I'd bring him home, so home we came. That night, the next - I don't remember - I was fairly certain his time was coming; I made him comfortable in a large carrier and put it beneath an end table. I left a night light on so he wouldn't be in the dark. The next morning, he was gone, but his body was kind of stretched out, as though he might have had a seizure. I felt the same guilt you feel, but that pain was mine - and is yours. "Mr Bojangles" was happy - and Salem is so very happy, too - gloriously alive, perfectly healthy,and blissfully, supremely happy. She holds you no grudge, so why punish yourself? She left on HER terms, not on anyone else's; don't we all wish that for ourselves? Cry and cry and cry - it helps to wash out the pain, but know that your beloved Salem is living in Love, and waiting - ever so happily! - for you. May Salem's Creator bless you with peace.

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

I know how you feel as Joseph , Princess, Bo Bo , Moose and Orangie all dies at home and only after I left being by their side to feed the other Ctas or myself. Our Cats do not want us to see them pass on it is not an easy sight to see.
    Salem knows how much you loved her and is sad that you are unhappy and wants you to know that she is in a good place where there are Animal Angels all around her and she is wearing her Wings of Silver and Gold now.
    Salem is starting her search now for that place in Paradise where you can all be together in love furrever.
    One Fine Day
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I am so sorry to read of the passing of your precious furbaby Salem, please please don't feel guilty, you did your best for your kitty and it was so sad that it happened as it did, but you were not to know, and you were on your way to get help,and as for the most thought less comments from that lady, shame on her, just ignore them, thinking of you at this very sad and difficult time,i hope everyone here can help bring a little comfort to you in your grieving for you darling furbaby,my heart goes out to you. HUGS

Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I appreciate the posts. I talked to a lady last sat who told me her last 3 cats have died at home. They all had kidney failure. Salem was my only cat out of 6 that has died at home. It just bugs me that she suffered her last month of her life. I miss her so damn much. She was quite a cutie & she had a cleft. You often dont realize what you had until its gone. Prior to salem & the blood clot she often drank water, urinated alot & ate alot. She never put on any weight & looked healthy. This went on for a few yrs. I guess it was her time to go but losing 2 cats within 6 weeks was a total shocker.

I am so sorry for you in your grief and pain. Salem knew how much you love her, that you had stepped away to help her, and she loves you always. You are with her in the ways that count, in the heart and soul and spirit. You and she and your others are and will be together, always.

Salem is no longer suffering, she is whole and healthy again, a beautiful Angel, at the Rainbow Bridge, where she will greet you in love to welcome you Home.. One Fine Day.

May your precious memories help to bring you peace and comfort. God bless.

Hugs and purrs to you from Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery