Thread: Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears

Okay, I never knew the true meaning of this phrase "crocodile tears" !!!

I use this quite often and now I find out from another PT member that it means "an insincere display of grief".

Sorry to anyone I may have offended. When I used this term in the past I meant with sincere sadness. I will have to come up with a new term.

Just goes to show you, we all learn something every day!
    I've Been Frosted

I didn't know that's what crocodile tears meant. I never used the term but have heard it.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I knew the meaning, and I saw where the term was used by Happylabs. I didn't correct her since I knew she couldn't have meant it for the true meaning - probably meant it more like "big" tears. She would never have said something inappropriate or hurtful on purpose. Sometimes we all open mouth and insert foot without meaning to or even realizing that we're doing it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

It's use

I knew it as being used mostly when dealing with little children when they are crying to make you think that the situation is dire. Not fake tears, but large, obvious tears...... must more than necessary for the time or situation. So, yes, I guess you were using the expression incorrectly, but I doubt if anyone was offended by it.

Many people, including me, use expressions incorrectly or mix them up. Not to worry!

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    I knew it as being used mostly when dealing with little children when they are crying to make you think that the situation is dire. Not fake tears, but large, obvious tears...... must more than necessary for the time or situation. So, yes, I guess you were using the expression incorrectly, but I doubt if anyone was offended by it.

Many people, including me, use expressions incorrectly or mix them up. Not to worry!

This is how I thought of it as well. I didn't realize it was an insincere display of grief. Oops.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I noticed it, too, but I knew she couldn't have meant it for the true meaning - probably meant it more like "big" tears, as Pomtzu said. So no offense.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I knew the meaning, and I saw where the term was used by Happylabs. I didn't correct her since I knew she couldn't have meant it for the true meaning - probably meant it more like "big" tears. She would never have said something inappropriate or hurtful on purpose. Sometimes we all open mouth and insert foot without meaning to or even realizing that we're doing it.

Ditto. I knew what your intent was.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I noticed it, too, but I knew she couldn't have meant it for the true meaning - probably meant it more like "big" tears, as Pomtzu said. So no offense.
    Whew! Amen. I was hoping I did not offend you. You know how I felt about your sweet Fister, orange kitties and all kitties in general.

I have made some blunders, too, and probably still do.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.