Thread: Student with a gun at Northern Illinois University

Student with a gun at Northern Illinois University - 3 year anniversary

Dear ones, would you keep the Northern campus in your thoughts tonight. A student attending a lecture pulled out a shotgun and started firing. 3 or 4 victims so far. This just happened about an hour ago. Northern is in DeKalb, Illinois which is about 60 miles west of Chicago.

Thanks,
    Elyse
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 02-14-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

How heartbreaking! There was a school shooting here yesterday or the day before..high school in Oxnard.

These school shootings are becoming so commonplace anymore. Will we every say..."maybe it is too many guns?"

18 victims. No fatalities from what I have heard. I don't know what happened to the student that brought in the gun.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Man kills 4, self at Northern Illinois 15 minutes ago

DEKALB, Ill. - Authorities say a man dressed in black opened fire from a stage of a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University, killing four people and himself. Campus Police Chief Donald Grady confirmed the deaths following a news conference. He says the gunman was not a student at the school and police had no apparent motive.

The university president says witnesses in the geology class saw someone dressed in black came out from behind a screen in front of the classroom and opened fire with a shotgun.

All classes were canceled Thursday night and the 25,000-student campus was closed on Friday.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

That is terrible. I am saddened to here 4 people died. These school shootings are getting ridiculous. Yes what a day of "love".

I heard the shooter was NOT a student of this university..

Unfortunate.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Six students dead, seven if you count the shooter. He had been a graduate student at NIU until last spring and transferred down to the University of Illinois. 18 wounded. Sad, sad.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    Six students dead, seven if you count the shooter. He had been a graduate student at NIU until last spring and transferred down to the University of Illinois. 18 wounded. Sad, sad.
    Correction. Five students dead, six if you count the shooter. One is from my church. Funeral service this Tuesday.

This is so sad. The newspapers here have been filled with the details of who these young people were and their dreams and aspirations, their lives and the people who loved them. Even the shooter has been shown to have more than one dimension. He obviously was a troubled soul, yet no one would ever have predicted this would have been something he was capable of. From what has been reported so far, it doesn't appear that there were red flags all over the place as sometimes is the case in this type of situation.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Today is the one-year anniversary of the shootings at NIU. There was a memorial.

http://www.courant.com/news/nationwo...0,684725.story

Your community will be in our prayers at this sad anniversary.
    I've Been Frosted

How tragic, Elyse. I just wish everyone could get along and all this would stop. My thoughts and prayers are going out.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I find it odd that I didn't hear anything on our new about that. Maybe they have learned not to give others the idea by having it constantly on the news..

Geez, when it the madness going to stop?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

The NIU shootings were 3 years ago today. It's been on the news this morning. Sad.

Today is the fifth anniversary of the NIU shootings. There was a memorial service on campus. It's especially sad in light of the elementary school shootings in Connecticut.