Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Blizzard Report - Hi PT!

Post Blizzard Report - Hi PT!

Well it sure has been an eventful 48 hours!

Lost power for 22 hours, worst of that was no heat. Glad that came back on. I tend to be a problem solver, so it is frustrating to have an issue and not be able to WORK ON IT! I put coats on the dogs and we frequently got in the bed to snuggle. Lacey was shivering and NOT PLEASED. The other 3 did alright, and the cats alternated snuggling in the bed with me or snuggling in pet beds together.

I have a gas range so could use the stove top for cooking, which was great. I need to find out how to light my oven for heat so I know for next time.

Now for the outstanding issue: I have no TV, phone or computer service. I use Verizon FIOS. My transmitter box in the cellar got zapped! I have a technician appt. the earliest they had was Friday afternoon. So I will not be on here often, till this gets fixed. Having to use my cellphone is a riot as I am not normally a cell user. I spent half an hour this morning just figuring out features, setting up a few contacts, some speed dials (Mary Ellen is part of both of those ha haa). At one point I deleted the 2 I had set up and had to start over GAH! Minor inconvenience, not complaining AT ALL as having no heat was a huge deal and helps put things in perspective.

I do have home delivery of the newspaper so I will have some news coming in, thank goodness!

I have some photos but can't share them till the computer is back. I am currently using one of the computers at the nursing home where my Dad is, in their Internet cafe. Not sure how often I will get online till things get fixed at home.

Oh dear, that IS a nuisance! In a case like this, it's probably good your dad is in a nursing home - older people freeze more. Glad your crew found a way to snuggle up and keep warm. But poor Lacey.

Please be careful with that gas oven, it uses all the oxygen in the house and can be dangerous. Hope you won't need to do that.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Wow, 22 hours without heat. I'm with Lacey on that one. Brrrr. Makes you wonder how the pioneers made it doesn't it?
    Please be careful with leaving the stove on for heat( I know you will). We had a news story a few weeks ago where a lady did
    just that & burnt the house down. Hope you get it all sorted out soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Our sympathies, hope you get everything straightened out soon! Thank goodness your Dad was safe and warm at the Nursing home!
    I've Been Frosted

Good to hear from you Sandie, glad you're all ok. I hope you're back up and running soon.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Relieved to see your post. I've been wondering how you (and others in the path) did during the blizzard. 22 hours without heat is not good but it sounds as if you did the best you could with the babies. Glad the heat come back on. Being without power is terrible... happens often here even with a rainstorm sometimes Please be careful and I do know how frustrating it can be without computer or tv. I dont know how I used to get along without computer... always had tv. We look forward to photos when everything is up and running. Take care of yourself and I know you'll take good care of the babies.

I'm glad you are safe and warm again! Saying big prayers
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Glad you came thru the storm no worse for wear than you did. I was wondering how you made out. If you were able to get out to the nursing home, they must have done a quick job clearing the roads. Can't wait to see your pics - the shots that have been on t.v. are truly amazing. It's pretty now, but just give it a few days of a warm-up, and it will be all dirty and nasty looking. YUK

And I'm going to put in my 2 cents worth regarding using the oven for heat. DON'T DO IT - it is dangerous. We all want you and The Fluffs and the kitties to be around here for a LONG time! I'm sure if phred was here to read this, he would give you a very big lecture on it too!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Really glad to see you again, Sandie, and glad to know that you and critters and Dad made it through this okay. Prayers for you all.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Good to hear from you! Glad you made it through! HUGS!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Glad you are ok.
    I posted on your FB wall wondering. I am relieved to see your message here. Hugs to you all!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I haven't been on PT or FB very much lately but I did hear about the big storm. I'm so glad that you're all doing well and I hope that things will get back to normal very soon. Maybe you could look into getting a generator as a back up for when the power goes out. Please take care.

Well no worries, anyone. I've learned that my sort of gas oven you CAN NOT light it. Now, if I had the sort with a pilot light, yes, those you can light with a match and use for heat.

So, normal routine today, walked the fluffs, went to the Y, ran to the grocery store and came here to the nursing home to see Dad, and now on the computer. Main roads are bare BUT missing lanes, ha haaa. The snow is piled high and fills a lane or two. Side roads are bumpy with ice and snow.

Thanks for all the lovely posts!

I hope all your utilities are back and everything is in working order!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Elyse, everything returned on Wed evening about 6 PM. It was the box outside the house got zapped, tech put on a new one and TA DAH! I wasn't even home at the time. He left a message for me to let me know (my appt was for Friday). So that was all set.

On Fri afternoon I had no heat. Called the furnace co, turns out my thermostat died. It would have been 10 years old on May 2d; they are all circuit boards now! He did not have one in his van with all the features I need -- I have a humidifier and need to be able to control that -- so he put on a temporary one so I've got heat. He planned to return on Sat (yesterday). He phoned me Sat, he was the only one on call and was really busy; wanted to know if I was OK till Mondayl. I am a reasonable person, I have heat so yes I am fine till Monday.