Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post Office Ending Saturday Delivery

Post Office Ending Saturday Delivery

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/06/news...-service-cuts/

How sad is this that because Congress is unwilling to do anything about it, people who rely on Saturday delivery are going to suffer?

Any wonder Congress has such low approval ratings?
    I've Been Frosted

Brilliant economic minds at work.

Raise rates (effective in January, more rates than just first class mail went up) and cut service, while retaining inept management and promoting more Vice Presidents with 6 figure salaries and outlandish compensation packages (the postal execs are on a far, far different retirement compensation plan than the hoi polloi).

Kudos.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

And for those who think Postal executives are pure as the wind driven snow:

http://postalnews.com/postalnewsblog...ption-charges/

http://www.postalreporternews.net/20...and-lapdances/

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009...rmer_head.html

http://legacy.utsandiego.com/news/me...52-postal.html

There are more, those are just the ones I found quickly.

Those are the rare cases where they actually prosecute. For little things like sexual harassment they normally just move them to a different facility.

How Congress actually believes these people when they testify is beyond me, though it's liars testifying to liars, so what the heck.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Canada lost Saturday delivery back in the 70s.

It ain't so bad really.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Canada doesn't mandate delivery of veteran's meds by the postal service.

Combine no service standards (2-3 day delivery is out the window) with no saturday delivery and a vet or anyone else who is forced into Pharmacy by mail better not have an emergency...like an inversion that makes them use a month's worth of asthma meds in a week, just for an example.

In addition, this is all caused by a backroom deal in 2006 that is attempting to force the Postal Service to pre-pay retirement benefits for employees who haven't even been born yet.

Many other places survive on non-Saturday delivery, and the US will also.

When a holiday Monday follows a Sunday, no one dies. Not sure why it is that much different with Saturday. If you can't get your meds in the first five days of the delivery, then maybe you need to change something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Many other places survive on non-Saturday delivery, and the US will also.

When a holiday Monday follows a Sunday, no one dies. Not sure why it is that much different with Saturday. If you can't get your meds in the first five days of the delivery, then maybe you need to change something.

When a Monday holiday occurs, with no Saturday delivery, and no service standards, when are the meds going to get delivered?

BTW, before someone pipes up with med pouches are packages, not mail, that is incorrect. They are labeled and handled as first class mail, not packages. That was done to ensure prompt delivery.

All this aside, the sole reason for the fiscal crisis in the USPS is not loss of revenue, it's mismanagement from both Congress and USPS management.

Answer one question:

Is there any other entity, public or private, which is required to pre-fund retirement benefits for employees who aren't even born yet?

Minus that requirement, the USPS has actually turned a profit in most years since the legislation was enacted.

And to pose another question:

What other Constitutionally mandated government entity is expected to turn a profit?

I have worked for many companies in my lifespan. We never had Saturday delivery. We didn't mail things out, and things didn't come in. We survived, we made a profit.

If my meds run out during a snowstorm, or I lose them on vacation, or they get disposed of by accident- somehow I manage. I can't call a doctor's office on a Saturday afternoon, and expect to get seen and medicated by Sunday morning. The system will re-work to make it work out. Meds will be mailed out earlier, to accommodate the schedules.

No mail on Saturdays is such a non-issue. People will deal. All this talk about who mismanaged what, when and for what reason has nothing to do with non-Saturday delivery. The post office needs to be like every other place, and cut costs- no matter what the reason for the cost cutting measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    No mail on Saturdays is such a non-issue. People will deal. All this talk about who mismanaged what, when and for what reason has nothing to do with non-Saturday delivery. The post office needs to be like every other place, and cut costs- no matter what the reason for the cost cutting measures.

It has EVERYTHING to do with it.

No mismanagement and there are no fiscal issues. Income isn't the issue, waste, negligence and abuse are the issues. I've worked for private companies. When times were tough, management didn't get 6 figure bonuses.

Congress has punted on the issue and left it in the hands of an absolutely incompetent management team. They spent billions of dollars to automate a dying mail class (magazines). The USPS OIG states clearly that it now costs more to deliver a magazine than ever because of their shiny new toy purchases.

We pay 6 times the going rate for some supplies, and double industry cost for others.

Fire management, get rid of the inept and corrupt, and 5 day delivery wouldn't be required.

Furthermore, several studies done for the OIG and others have concluded that 5- day delivery will cost the postal service far more in revenue lost to other delivery means than it will save in man hours.
    The ultimate solution would be to get Congress to do their job pass a reform bill that makes sense, but I don't see that happening with the absolute infantile fools running the show.

Now for another question that will go unanswered:

Just for a moment imagine that you're a regional manager for the Postal Service. You have 5 plants reporting to you. You are on the books officially as working at plant A.

Of those 5 plants, plants C,D,and E are the best performing plants, despite senior management being domiciled at plants A and B.

You need to cut, and district performance is starting to lag on the radar screen.

What do you do?

I only ever get junk mail on Saturday anyway.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I really don't see any problem with no Saturday delivery - it's usually all junk anyway. And as far as meds - then those that get them by mail simply need to reorder a few days earlier than they normally do. I currently get one of my meds from Canada (my choice), and they specifically say to place orders for refills 4 weeks before the current supply runs out so that they will be received in plenty of time. What's so difficult about that???
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I really don't see any problem with no Saturday delivery - it's usually all junk anyway. And as far as meds - then those that get them by mail simply need to reorder a few days earlier than they normally do. I currently get one of my meds from Canada (my choice), and they specifically say to place orders for refills 4 weeks before the current supply runs out so that they will be received in plenty of time. What's so difficult about that???
    You do it by choice. Vets do it by order.

As to how difficult it is, easy as pie.....unless something makes you use more than the usual dose of a med and you have to get more quickly (i.e. asthma meds). you order a 90 day supply, and aren't allowed to order more than the allocated dose. You know you're going to run out on day 85, can't order it until you're "supposed " to run out, and then you have to wait to order, then wait longer for delivery. And no, the VA doesn't do emergency refills short of an act of god.

This, however, is all dancing around the real issue, which is incompetent management and an incompetent, partisan, infantile Congress which would rather see things go over the so-called fiscal cliff than actually work out a compromise and fix something.