Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn, things are getting worse with Luna and Lily!

Damn, things are getting worse with Luna and Lily!

Ever since Lily moved in (at the age of 11 weeks; Luna was 3 at that time), she started dominating Luna. It began that she made Luna babying her; Lily wanted to suckle, and Luna obeyed. This went on for three years, and when that episode was over, Lily started intimidating Luna. She'd stare her down or jump at her, and Luna would hiss and growl, even paw at her - but back off eventually. Always. And this is getting worse over the years, especially now that Luna is getting older.

Right from the start, they have slept in my bed with me - every night, both of them. But now it's happening more and more that Lily won't let Luna. Luna is usually the first who's coming to bed, soon after I switch off the lights. But now, as soon as Luna's laying down to sleep, Lily's attacking her, making her hiss and scream. Usually she's chasing her out of the room. I'm scolding her, but of course this won't impress Lily one bit. Last night, after she ran Luna off, Lily came back and wanted to lay down at the same spot where Luna had made her bed minutes ago - I didn't let her, I was sooo mad. Lily jumped onto the top of the cabinet, pouting. Luna, after being chased away by Lily, is usually irritated and most unhappy, she would walk up and down the hallway, whining and crying in a most pitiful way. She just doesn't know where to go. All Luna wants is to be with me, but Lily won't let her. It took lots of efforts on my part to make Luna come back to the bedroom, where she first sat beside my bed forever, before she made a new start to lay down to sleep. Eventually she did, and Lily came down from the cabinet, jumped into the bed, and started attacking Luna again. By the time I switched on the lights, Luna was already on her back, trying to defend herself. I chased Lily away, and this time, Luna didn't get up. A while later, Lily came back to bed, and this time, she was laying down next to Luna.

Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night, especially since Lily has developed the bad habit of getting up at 4 in the morning, wanting some treats. And she's very demanding!! She's sitting next to my head, poking my face - and she doesn't hesitate to use her claws! This little sweet girl has turned into a tyrant par excellence!

I really hope tonight will be better as I'm having a doctor's appointment tomorrow in the morning; and I really need to get some sleep. But the worst is that I'm feeling so bad for Luna; I can tell she's always uncomfortable now, always on her guard and fearing Lily's attack. My poor poor baby!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Prozac???
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Sounds like my house. When it gets really bad or won't stop I end up putting Jax in "his room" and closing the door. So we can get sleep and Paizly can relax. Not sure if your place is set up to do this, close the door to your bedroom and you and Luna sleep in the bed. Or something to separate them so Luna can relax.
    I know how frustrating it is. I love Jax to death, but he makes me SOOO mad when he does this to Paizly. I usually have a squirt bottle, but that only stops him for a second while he licks the water off. The other night I had a bath towel in my hand and I threw that at him. He just doesn't get it!
    I swear that when we are not home they play and have a grand old time together. But when we are home Paizly wants nothing to do with him and he doesn't understand why. I really want to set up a camera or even just audio equipment to see how they are when alone.

I hope you can figure something out so you can get some sleep.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I have to hide the treats from Mickey Fluffy Tail and Tubster Panther as they will grab the bag swing them about and making meewoing noices until I get up and feed them.
    Thank God they dont scratch me.
    We are praying that you can come to a solution Kirsten that is snot a lot of fun when you need your sleep.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Blog Entries
    Awww, poor Luna, poor you. That amounts to quite a challenge for sure! I guess Lily wants to assert her dominance, hopefully she'll grow out of it. Sorry that sounds lame but it's all I got

Sounds like your Lily has been taking lessons from my Diego. He's been on kitty prozac for a while and the issues are pretty much gone now. When they do have a flare up I have breakaway collars for each of them, I give these collars a good spray of feliway and install them one on each cat. This curtails all activity and they each go find a cat bed and leave each other and me alone. Once things are calmer, or once morning arrives I remove the collars. Good luck.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    Sounds like your Lily has been taking lessons from my Diego. He's been on kitty prozac for a while and the issues are pretty much gone now.

Are you serious?? Does Prozac also exist for cats??
    I really hope you can find a solution for your cats Kirsten, it must break your heart to see this behaviour.............
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Damn, I was just posting my reply, but Firefox crashed - and all was lost!

Will reply again tomorrow as it's late here and I'm tired.

Prozac

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy View Post
    Are you serious?? Does Prozac also exist for cats??
    I really hope you can find a solution for your cats Kirsten, it must break your heart to see this behaviour.............
    It is the same Prozac as for humans, just in a smaller dose. I tried it with my two monster cats and they stopped taking the medications... so now they reside in two different parts of the house. A house divided. Oh well. Juni usually gets a room all to herself, now. Every now and then I try to reassociate them and so far, it has not worked.

I would suggest medication, if at all possible. Female cats can be a real pain in some households.

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    I would suggest medication, if at all possible. Female cats can be a real pain in some households.

Here, it is Crystal (female, and a calico as well ) and Tommy (male) constantly after one another. You'd think 9 cats with 9 rooms plus a cellar could manage to keep out of one another's way. Oh no, they will actually HUNT when on the prowl.

I do time outs, with one in a room with the door closed. When I started this, I was saying, "you really don't want me to come in there!" and now they break off the minute they hear that. But it took 3 years for that to click in for them

Diego would stop his prozac in a heartbeat, but I'm currently smarter than he is. I get it in "chew" format, fish flavored. This I mush up with kitty junk food (fancy feast) in a variety of fish flavors. I mush it up really good and he scarfs the whole thing down. It might not be the best thing for him to have but the vet and I both agree it's more important to get the meds into him than worry about the teaspoon of junk food he's getting with it. I change up the flavors daily (tuna/salmon) so that he doesn't get a chance to get used to one particular flavor and begin to get picky. So far it works for us, along with the occassional collar spray when they get really rambunctious.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Dear Kirsten, Lily and Luna -- I hope today was a better day. Thinking of you
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Blog Entries
    Spicy is doing SO much better now. I'm not quite sure why.I guess so many changes, we pay far more attention to her. Make the old man brush her after dinner, I brush her in the morn. She has completely stopped bellering for all she's worth. Even let her sit in the same room with Mia. Oh not for bloody long, if looks could kill man. Cannot take your eyes off Spicy for a second, predator to the bone. Bless her wee heart Mia truly believes that the whole universe loves her intensly I have told her many times that Spicy HATES her guts and always will. She does not believe me. Or maybe she don`t speak English. Better brush up on me «spanish

Dear Kirsten, would Feliway help at all ? Or perhaps Prozac, as some have suggested.

Hoping and praying things will work out soon with your girls.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thank you very much for the advice, and for listening... I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one dealing with feline terror.

However, the past two nights have been better; last night, they slept in my bed together without any problems, and the night before, Luna left the bed before Lily attacked her. Luna rested for a while in her kitty bed, then came back into my bed, and Lily tolerated it.

Actually, I don't want to put Lily on any psycho drugs such as prozac because most of the time, she's just sweet and good natured. However, she can be bossy, and very demanding, but in many ways, she's easier to handle than Luna. Anyway, instead of meds, I'd rather try something holistic, bach flower remedies maybe. I used Feliway in the past and it didn't seem to help, but I'm willing to give it another try. Also, Lily will get a time-out in another room the next time she's acting like that!

During the daytime, they're okay, sleeping most of the time in their kitty bed together, usually in identical positions. They always did that; remember that I used to refer to them as my "synchro kitties"? I just wish Luna had a little more self-esteem so she could cope with Lily's antics. Lily seems to be power-tripping every now and then, and Luna just doesn't know how to deal with it. Here it shows that she has been taken away from her kitty mom at the age of only 6 weeks, whereas Lily enjoyed a happy kittenhood where she learned all the feline skills. I think it was a mistake bringing her home, but well, too late now, I should have thought about that 10 years ago...

Here's their kitty bed where they're spending a lot of time during the day, and they never fight in there: