Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fister is at the RB - 20/5-96 - 2/2-2013

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Randi - I believe that it's a good choice you made to have Fister cremated. I have done this with most of my RB cats and dogs, as I too plan to be cremated and take them all with me when I am scattered. They all had "private" cremations, as I wanted only their remains and not that of other pets. If you don't care for the vessel that they put him in, there are many places on line that you can purchase pet cremation urns - just Google it.

My heart still breaks knowing what you are going thru right now. You will find the strength to get thru it and move on (tho differently), in time. Fister will always be in your heart, and that can never be taken away from you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Randi, all of my RB babies have been. cremated and are with me. I had and will have again a memory table with them all on it with a fav toy or collar of theirs and of course photos. It gives me peace to have them near.

Sending you a big hug. You are not alone.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Randi, I thought of you as soon as I woke this morning and have been throughout the day. I remember only too well how hard it is.

Bobby was the first pet whose ashes I was able to have at home with me and I am so glad he's here, it's a comfort. I believe it is possible to get all sorts of containers but he is in a sealed plain wooden box with a plaque engraved with his name on top and I am happy with that.

Keeping you in my heart and thoughts.

You, who has done this, I can imagine it feels comforting having your dear one near and I feel Fister should be at home with me. Since I don't have a house with garden, that must be the obvious choice.

Chris, I think I remember seeing the box you got for Bobby and that was very nice.

I just don't want some ghastly shiny container.

My neighbor also told about someone who makes jewelry where she puts part of the ashes inside, like a necklace, that also appeals to me in a way.

Will try to find something online to see what the choices are.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post

My neighbor also told about someone who makes jewelry where she puts part of the ashes inside, like a necklace, that also appeals to me in a way.
    Randi - PT's own "Glacier" does this - memorial beads as they are called. She made a couple of pieces for me with some of Sparky's ashes. They are quite lovely, and I wear the heart shaped one just about every day.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Randi, I am so sorry. I saw the post on Facebook and came straight to Cat Health. When I saw it was locked, my heart sank.

My sincerest condolences to you on your loss. Fister was such a handsome guy. Many hugs for you from across the miles.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Randi, I think having Fister's ashes will be comforting for you. Even if you don't know exactly what you'll do with the ashes, just having them will give you a chance to find the best idea later on. It's so hard to make clear choices when you're so sad. I have the ashes of all of my previous pets and the plan has always been to sprinkle them around a tree 'when' we find our forever home. But we keep moving so that hasn't happened. So I've been thinking about buying a potted plant or two that could be placed in a garden one day and will sprinke the ashes in there. Maybe you could find a beautiful plant and it could be indoors permanantly and have Fister's ashes be part of it and you can nurture it and watch it grow. And if you ever changed your residence and had a garden at some point, you could have the option of planting it outdoors or just continue on with it being an indoor plant.

Whatever you decide, I hope that it will help make him feel close so that you can heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    I just sent an email to the vet about payment methods. I will let you know when I hear anything.
    Thank you, Catty1- waiting to hear what you find out.

Randi, my sister has her cats' ashes. She found a pretty ceramic jar, with a lid, with cats on it. She put the tins from the veterinary hospital right in the jar, and put the lid back on. You'd never know what's in the jar unless you were to open it. She keeps a framed picture of the two of them next to the jar. Please do let us know what you find out about this.

Fister, sweet boy, I am sure you were met by many people at the Rainbow Bridge... John, Corinna, Phred, Terry... and all the RB pets too. I will see you in heaven, One Fine Day.

Edited to add-- here is Tamara's (Glacier) Etsy page. http://www.etsy.com/shop/bieyedbeading
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Throughout the day I have felt so down. I also feel...nothing matters anymore. One of the worst things is that I could not spend a few days more with Fister at home - I would have given anything for that! I really had expected I could take home for a few days.

I sometimes doubt if I made the right decision to let him go, but both the vets at the hospital said it was right to let him go - he needed fluids continiously to be comfortable, and as time went by, he would suffer more, they said. I didn't want that. Fister's liver was in a bad way and there were other issues. I just wish Fister could have talked to me and told me what he wanted - although I know that in my heart.

Last week, I had a long and intense cuddle session with him, I'm glad for that.

If it weren't for Fister, I would not have known Pet Talk.

Fister is now with his hero, John, and I know that Pjevs is there, too - and surely Phred is!
    Last edited by Randi; 02-03-2013 at 01:49 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi, I think it's just natural that you're now doubting your decision... And yes, it's sad that you didn't have more time with him, a few more days at home to say good bye... But maybe these days would have meant more suffering for Fister, maybe the vets were right; it's always hard to tell. The cuddle session that you had last week, maybe that was his way to say good bye, to let you know how much he loves you. And now he's with John and Pjevs, and - I'm sure - with Phred, and I'm sure all them would tell you not to let this great emptiness fill your heart. I can understand you feel this way, but it will get better - some day....

Randi

I'd like to share my experience with you on what you might do regarding cremation at the end. I lost three of my four cats last year in four months..like you the thought of letting them go forever, without having part of them with me was something I couldnt let happen. Keeping them any way I could, was better than not at all...So they were cremated, one by one through arrangements my vet's office made. I had a choice of urns, they were tasteful and I havent seen anything then or since that suited me better. They came with a beautiful little ribbon, with a heart attached you could (if you wanted) have their names put on. They also came with a 'complimentary' plaster cast of their pawprints. I wanted a lock of fur from each, and I have bought a beautiful little trinket box, and I keep the locks, a picture of each, and three crystal hearts to remind me that they are always inside mine and that no one can ever take them away from me again..my little tribute to the many years of love and loyalty they gave me..it has given me comfort in time gone by, that I have them 'with me'.

I have them in a special place..where I can see them everyday..my plan is when my own time comes, I've made arrangements to take them with me..in whatever way I choose to handle that.

I went through a very bad time after that, I came close to feeling that life wasnt worthwhile for a period, nothing mattered, I couldnt even vocalize about them without losing control..but in time, and with the addition of Teddy and Coco..they became wonderful memories and and mine forever.

Make sure you think long and hard about what you can 'live' with..in these circumstances that you werent prepared for..you cannot un do them.

It's so difficult to think straight when you're grief stricken..but this is a forever decision..go with your heart.

Again my sincere sympathy..as difficult as it is..you made the best decision for Fister, in ending his pain, try not to second guess yourself..I felt that guilt as well, I know in my heart I had to do it, and questioned myself thousands of ways and times, but it doesnt help your healing.

Tess

Tess, I really appreciate what you have said in your posts. I will definitely think of that! It's getting late here and I'm exhausted, but hope we can talk more another day.

I'm so sorry for your losses.

And thank you, too, Kirsten!

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Tess, I really appreciate what you have said in your posts. I will definitely think of that! It's getting late here and I'm exhausted, but hope we can talk more another day.

I'm so sorry for your losses.

And thank you, too, Kirsten!
    Thank you Randi.
    Take care and Fister would want you to take good care of yourself, always.

So sorry to read this

Randi,

I have not visited this site in several years, and only today decided that I would change that. I am sorry that my first post is about this, but I remember you and Fister from my earlier days here (2001/ 2002) and wanted to offer my condolences too. Fister was a handsome boy and as lucky as you were to have him by your side, he was also lucky to have you!

Stay strong

I'm so sorry, Randi. I know how deeply such a loss hurts; I still think of K'Cee everyday and miss her dearly. My thoughts are with you and I pray your tears soon turn to smiles when you remember Fister. I bet he and Pjevs (I was always so fond of him, too!) are getting reacquainted while Phred and Jonza chat nearby.