Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My problems for this year!

My problems for this year!

As you all know, I have been having a lot of problems these last few years. It's been a bumpy road and it is fixing to get bumpier.. About 6 months ago I started having tingeling and numbness in my hands and it has continued to get worse and worse. I finally got a doctor to pay attention to it and do something other than give me pills that knocked me out. I had a cervical MRI same time as I had my yearly MRI for those tumors. The results were already on the computer and my neurosurgeon saw the results before the doctor who ordered the cervical MRI..

When I first went to see my neurosurgeon, he told me he was not worried about those tumors and for me not to worry until he came in looking worried and he's told me that every visit.. December, he came in and said "GOOD NEWS! The tumors are just as they were the first time we saw them! ...Now, what about this cervical MRI, tell me whats going on with that! That has me worried!" so he started asking me a bunch of questions and I answered them.. He looked me in the eyes and said "This isn't good and I am worried! Your neck in a mess, all kind of things wrong in there and serious things that need to be taken care of. I don't like the looks of the MRI or what you have told me!" He gave me time to go see the doctor that had ordered the cervical MRI and to see what he thought. (another neuro doctor that works in the same center).

To make a long story short, he agreed and also reccomends surgery and that it be done asap before permanent damage is done that can't be undone. The vertabras in the back my neck have collasped on top of each other, I got bone spurs in the front pressing into my spinal cord and I need surgeries.... at least TWO, possiably more and none of them any fun, in fact he said they are very dangerous. Surgery #1 he wants to fix the front of my neck, going in the front and 2 or 3 vertabras have to come completely out and replacing them with something man made. These are the ones that are pinching into my spinal cord, just one fall or getting rear ended in a car and that is all she wrote for me.... He wants to wait almost 4 weeks and I have surgery #2 on the back of my neck... There again, he wants to remove those in the back and replace them with what I think he said is wire cages or something, then he will attach all the rest he leaves in there to each other with spacers to keep them from collasping on each other. This surgery he said will be very painful for a long time and I will have to be on pain killers for a pretty long time. Surgery 1 is scheduled for Feb. 14 and surgery #2 is scheduled for March12. According to him, my neck is the worst mess he has ever seen in all his years of practice. In fact, he consulted with another doctor because he didn't know where to begin, what surgery to do first.I told him I always dared to be different and be a problem! LOL!

Now... I am not happy about any of this. I have had troubles with my neck for years and had been warned that it would continue to get worse.This is not how I planned to spend my retirement, I just hope I will stay independant once this is all over with. I don't mind admitting I am terrified of this surgery. Like I told the surgeon, I am not happy about having this serious a surgery, not happy that they are taking out my own body parts and replacing with man made parts.. This is not how I planned to live at this age.. He also told me I will loose about 20% of the range of motion in my neck. The only bright spot in this is that my sister (Brandon's Grandma) is coming to stay with me however long I need her and Marie will be in and out..(They are fixing to put their house on the market and she is super busy and the new house is coming on along, inside work only now... so she has a lot on her mind already.)

So, there are my problems for the new year and what I have to face... I am NOT happy and scared to death! (I have never had this serious serious a surgery before).. Oh, I don't remember exactly what he said but the neurosurgeon said something to the effect that THIS could be the root of all those problems I have had the last 2 1/2 years. I ask that all of you remember me in your prayers and keep a candle lit for me until this is over. I'd appreciate it! Thanks

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Laura, while the process will be painful and long, I do hope this will fix everything. And you will no longer deal with the pain once it is all healed up. I know, just through knowing you here on Pet Talk, that you are a strong woman and you will make it through this with NO problem!
    I will definitely keep you in my thoughts during your journey.
    Lots of hugs from California!
    Cindy
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I am glad he started with the Good News! Jiminy Crickets! It is so much to absorb all at once, you must feel overwhelmed; I did just reading this.

Sending lots of prayers from RI.

Dear Laura, I am sending along prayers and good wishes and confort for you. And I just lit a candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...&cid=m17681821

Yes indeed, as Cindy said, you are a very strong woman and will make it through this just fine!

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and ,
    Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Oh, Laura, I know it is scary but it sounds really like such good news, that this certainly could be the root of many of your physical problems and symptoms, and I am so glad they are going to be able to help you! You will be in our prayers as with the surgeons that day! Do let us know when your first date with Sir Jury is scheduled, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Laura - I know that you are frightened at the prospect of these surgeries, but as long as you have good doctors, you will be just fine.
    I went thru this very thing and more in 2006 - only I had 3 surgeries between March and September of that year. I still refer to it as "my year in hell". My results from the first 2 and with 2 different doctors, was less than successful - but that's because both docs were true hacks!!! It took the 3rd doc from a large university medical center to repair all the damage that the first 2 did.
    It's a very long drawn out story, but if you want to talk about it/ask questions/etc, I'll be glad to go over my saga with you, and maybe ease some of your anxiety in doing so. Just PM me with your email - I did have it at one time, but no longer.
    And the only thing that I found to be painful, was having to be in a neck brace for so long. Pain from the surgery itself, was minimal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Laura, I will be thinking of you and sending prayers right through March. I pray that it is not as painful as the surgeon thinks, and that any pain meds will be minimal.

I also hope that this will fix many of the problems that have bothered you for the past several years.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Sorry to hear about your problems, Laura. You will certainly be remembered in my prayers and hopefully by April you will feel like a new person again!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Laura - my prayers and positive thoughts are with you. What a way to begin the year - but just look forward to all these problems being gone, and you feeling better than you have in a long time.

So glad your sister will be there to help out - and take care of the cats. Tell her she has to keep us updated on you.

Laura, I am keeping you in my prayers. Many long distance hugs to you my dear friend!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Laura, I'm so sorry to hear this and I hope that both of your surgeries will go smoothly. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Wow Laura, I'm so sorry to hear about your neck and back problems to start off 2013. I'm sending you plenty of Pittsburgh thoughts and prayers that those surgeries are successful and you have four furry nurses to help with your recovery.

Laura, a friend of mine had surgeries similar to yours and had to wear the cage, etc. She said she was warned about the pain but it turned out to be not so bad. She said she thinks doctors feel they have to say that so you'll be prepared. I don't know; it's just her opinion, I guess. Anyhow, you know I'll be praying and lighting candles for you. Hopefully, Carol will find some time to update us on your recovery. I wish you a world that's pain free, girlfriend. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I am so sorry to hear you have to go through so much. If it all goes well, you will be back to normal again. I too am going through a lot of stuff in my retirement. We work hard all our lives and when we finally get time to enjoy life, we have all kinds of ailments, it's just not fair. I'm sending you the best of luck and will be thinking of you on Valentine's Day.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

oh dear laura, i thought i was having it tough until i read your post, my heart goes out to you , i would be so scared to, you poor thing, this is going to be really hard going, i wish there was something i could do to help you through this time, just know that i and many others are here for you in any capacity we can be, this is not going to be easy and i can only hope you will make a wonderful recovery and your life will indeed be much better after wards, it is going to take a lot of courage and you are being very brave about it all, thinking of you and wishing you all the best for your upcoming surgery and speedy recovery, keep us posted if you can, take care.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️