Thread: Kidney disease..... NEED ADVICE!!

Kidney disease..... NEED ADVICE!!

My cat Tiger has been diagnosed with kidney disease about 2 yrs ago. since then we started to feed him science dietg k/d since we were told that he cannot have food with allot of protein. we will feed him wet and dry k/d food but mostly wet. At some point Tiger completely refused to eat the food! At the same time he lost allot of weight!! so i did some research on different types of food for him. thats when i learned that he could have food with high amounts of protein but it needs to be of high quality. I also learned that he's also losing muscle since he wasnt recieving the proper amounts of protein that a cat needs. so i went and bought some of the recommended food hoping that it will help him gain back the weight he lost with of course making sure that they had no by-products, no grains. some of the food i bought were USDA organic. Tiger is usually 13 pounds and had dropped to 7!!!

We've been feeding him the new food for about 2 months now and have not seen any weight gain!! But he has not thrown up in about a month and is pooping and peeeing normal. He recently has not been able to jump up to his favorite spot to drink water (at the bahroom sink). but just a week in a half ago he didnt struggle with this at all. He looks really weak lately and im wondering if its because of the muscle loss.

I want to take him to the vet, but im wondering if theres anything that they can give him that will really help him out right now????
    Please help, any suggestions will be helpfull.

I have nothing to offer in terms of advice, but will say a prayer for him.
    I've Been Frosted

Do take him to see the vet. Prayers for Tiger and you both.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Take him to the vet. There may be something else going on besides kidney disease, or the disease could be progressing. Also, did you change diets with consulting your vet? Prescription diets are formulated for specific issues, and sometimes changing them can cause issues, even if research shows they are appropriate diets to feed with certain conditions, there may be other factors going on that may be contraindicated with that diet. So always consult with your vet before changing prescription diets. Bottom line though you want him to eat... I just want to stress the importance of consulting with your vet before stuff like that especially in kitties with kidney disease. He is probably dehydrated too and will need fluids. Definitely sending good thoughts your and his way!

facebook

That much of a weight loss DEFINITELY calls for a vet visit. He could have hyperthyroidism which will cause him to lose weight. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us updated.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Vet visit, asap! You want to be sure he is not in pain, and is not suffering. Then you need a full senior blood panel to determine what is happening.

I am not a fan of prescription Science Diet foods, I think you did alright researching and finding something he would eat. Now, time for another vet appt!

Thanks!!

Thanks everyone for all the advice and prayers. Its very much appreciated. I have a vet appt today at 3pm!! Hopefully it goes better than expected....

How did the visit go??

facebook

:(

sorry its been so late, i haven't been able to reply.

At the Dr. visit they pretty much told me that his body is toxic and that he doesn't have allot of time left. She said that he's at the last stages of kidney disease. She gave him some fluids to hydrate him, which worked because when we got home he was actually eating again.

2 days later (on Monday) i get a call from my brother, he's crying and saying that he thinks Tiger is dying. I automatically rush home. When I get there Tiger is completely unresponsive. He couldn't even hold his head up. 30 minutes later he passed away with my brother and I right by his side. It was heart wrenching to know that my other half has actually left this world, but i knew it was best for him. He would of been 16 in May.

Maybe a week in a half before his passing, Tiger would sit right next to the door and when it would open he would just walk out. which is not normal for him, he would hang out BY the front door but not when we were all home. We also noticed that he was hanging out underneath the beds more often than usual. I would try to get him out but he wouldn't even meow back, which is also not normal.
    My mom learns that when a cat/pet knows that their about to leave this world they try to find a comfortable spot to pass away in that is away from their family. So he was trying to leave the house so that he wouldn't pass away in front of us. Supposedly they do this to protect us. Him going under the bed meant the same thing.

I am so so sorry that you lost your best friend.

Tiger was very loved and lived a good long life with your care...but it's never long enough for us.

HUGS.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Deepest sympathy to you and all who love him, on the loss of your dear friend Tiger.

Rest in peace, darling Tiger. You are greatly loved.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery