Thread: Okay, seriously, what can I do about this?

Hybrid View

Okay, seriously, what can I do about this?

I posted about this months ago, toward maybe the end of the summer? I don't really remember, but the little dog got away from her owners again, and attacked Mikey AGAIN. This time, she had the nerve to come into my open garage. I really am getting sick of this now. She is a little dog, like a Sassy sized llasa opso. She is NASTY, hates other dogs. Mikey is probably just defending me or something but when she goes after him he doesn't back down. She goes absolutely nuts and so does he. He made her bleed last time. It's sad, since he really LOVES dogs, and the first time he saw her coming he thought she wanted to play.

I have never "talked" to this guy about this before. I've made a few remarks like "can you not let this happen again?" and he assured me it wouldn't but it has. I don't know how to go about talking to him, I don't want to be mean, but at the same time, I am tired of his dog getting away. He isn't training her off-leash like I initally thought, she just always manages to runs away (leash on) and comes and attacks any dog she sees! it always happens to be Mikey!

I am just getting pissed at this point. Mikey is a football player to this little brat of a dog, and honestly, he could probably injure her to to point of needing medical attention. My fear is they will turn this on ME. My state (NJ) has weird dog laws, IMO. The animal is considered "Dangerous" or "Potentially Dangerous" ONLY if the dog seriously injures or kills another domestic animals or human. She can't really hurt him, but he can really hurt her, and honestly, I am sick of having to stick my head out to walk my dog when it shouldn't be a worry of mine. I don't want them to turn around and make him look like he's dangerous when she is always running loose and attacking other animals.

I know I need to talk to him, but what else can I do? I really don't want authorities involved for such a minor thing, but if it escalates to injuries there is no way my dog will be the one listed as "dangerous". How do I go about talking to him about it, politely? I ask, because this is really getting bothersome now and it tends to make me mad just thinking about it.

I say just tell him exactly what you just told us here. You don't want his dog to get hurt. If he can't keep her under control you'll have to tell authorities to help protect your own dog. I don't know anything about dog laws (even in my own state/town), but couldn't you report this dog and if anything did happen to her by Mikey they could see you were being proactive in trying to remedy the problem?

But you should really tell him and express how Mikey reacts to her and the (obvious) fact that Mikey is much bigger than her and could seriously injure her and you do NOT want to see that happen.

Good luck!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

So this guy -- or someone else -- is walking the dog, and loses hold of the leash? Yeah, I've had that happen, but it is a rare thing and my dogs are trained to stay by me if the end of the leash drops. I guess I want to clarify, this guy is not handicapped / mentally challenged in some way, nor is a child involved. Because if you want to be proactive, and that is the case, you can also suggest that the child not walk the dog OR that they use a second leash around their waist so the dog can't take off when the leash slips. So, just covering the bases, in that comment.

Cindy / Taz_Zoee: "I say just tell him exactly what you just told us here. You don't want his dog to get hurt. If he can't keep her under control you'll have to tell authorities to help protect your own dog." Yes, yes yes. Then, you have warned him and if / when it happens again, you have started the documentation that his dog is the one off leash.

I know we have the 'dangerous dog' law here as well. But if my dog is tied / fenced in and the other dog is the one to enter MY yard and get hurt, I'm not so sure MY dog is the one that gets labelled dangerous. I agree, you do not want to find out!

If you really want to be proactive, you can suggest he take the dog to training at a place like XXX - get the name of a local positive reinforcement training place.

Exactly, talk to him, and explain that for his dog's safety, and your sanity, he really needs to keep her controlled. If not, you may end up needed to call Animal Control, which as a fellow dog owner you do not want to have to do, but for everyone's safety, you may need to consider. Tell him that, as his dog has been the aggressor in the past.
    I've Been Frosted

You say you don't want to bother telling animal control or whoever about this little dog, I believe it is a major thing because
    it has happened more than once.You will be protecting your own dog and the smaller dog, by informing authorities what's been
    happening. Why should you have to keep talking to the guy? Maybe he'll listen to AC when they come out to look into this.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    You say you don't want to bother telling animal control or whoever about this little dog, I believe it is a major thing because
    it has happened more than once.You will be protecting your own dog and the smaller dog, by informing authorities what's been
    happening. Why should you have to keep talking to the guy? Maybe he'll listen to AC when they come out to look into this.
    You hit the nail on the head, Liz.

It's a repeat situation, obviously the other dog's owner doesn't see the issue, so it is time for ACO to deal with it.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Agree. If Mikey ever does really hurt this dog and there are no past reports, it will be your word against the neighbors.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I say just tell him exactly what you just told us here. You don't want his dog to get hurt. If he can't keep her under control you'll have to tell authorities to help protect your own dog. I don't know anything about dog laws (even in my own state/town), but couldn't you report this dog and if anything did happen to her by Mikey they could see you were being proactive in trying to remedy the problem?

But you should really tell him and express how Mikey reacts to her and the (obvious) fact that Mikey is much bigger than her and could seriously injure her and you do NOT want to see that happen.

Good luck!
    I agree 100%.