Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, seriously, what can I do about this?

Okay, seriously, what can I do about this?

I posted about this months ago, toward maybe the end of the summer? I don't really remember, but the little dog got away from her owners again, and attacked Mikey AGAIN. This time, she had the nerve to come into my open garage. I really am getting sick of this now. She is a little dog, like a Sassy sized llasa opso. She is NASTY, hates other dogs. Mikey is probably just defending me or something but when she goes after him he doesn't back down. She goes absolutely nuts and so does he. He made her bleed last time. It's sad, since he really LOVES dogs, and the first time he saw her coming he thought she wanted to play.

I have never "talked" to this guy about this before. I've made a few remarks like "can you not let this happen again?" and he assured me it wouldn't but it has. I don't know how to go about talking to him, I don't want to be mean, but at the same time, I am tired of his dog getting away. He isn't training her off-leash like I initally thought, she just always manages to runs away (leash on) and comes and attacks any dog she sees! it always happens to be Mikey!

I am just getting pissed at this point. Mikey is a football player to this little brat of a dog, and honestly, he could probably injure her to to point of needing medical attention. My fear is they will turn this on ME. My state (NJ) has weird dog laws, IMO. The animal is considered "Dangerous" or "Potentially Dangerous" ONLY if the dog seriously injures or kills another domestic animals or human. She can't really hurt him, but he can really hurt her, and honestly, I am sick of having to stick my head out to walk my dog when it shouldn't be a worry of mine. I don't want them to turn around and make him look like he's dangerous when she is always running loose and attacking other animals.

I know I need to talk to him, but what else can I do? I really don't want authorities involved for such a minor thing, but if it escalates to injuries there is no way my dog will be the one listed as "dangerous". How do I go about talking to him about it, politely? I ask, because this is really getting bothersome now and it tends to make me mad just thinking about it.

I say just tell him exactly what you just told us here. You don't want his dog to get hurt. If he can't keep her under control you'll have to tell authorities to help protect your own dog. I don't know anything about dog laws (even in my own state/town), but couldn't you report this dog and if anything did happen to her by Mikey they could see you were being proactive in trying to remedy the problem?

But you should really tell him and express how Mikey reacts to her and the (obvious) fact that Mikey is much bigger than her and could seriously injure her and you do NOT want to see that happen.

Good luck!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

So this guy -- or someone else -- is walking the dog, and loses hold of the leash? Yeah, I've had that happen, but it is a rare thing and my dogs are trained to stay by me if the end of the leash drops. I guess I want to clarify, this guy is not handicapped / mentally challenged in some way, nor is a child involved. Because if you want to be proactive, and that is the case, you can also suggest that the child not walk the dog OR that they use a second leash around their waist so the dog can't take off when the leash slips. So, just covering the bases, in that comment.

Cindy / Taz_Zoee: "I say just tell him exactly what you just told us here. You don't want his dog to get hurt. If he can't keep her under control you'll have to tell authorities to help protect your own dog." Yes, yes yes. Then, you have warned him and if / when it happens again, you have started the documentation that his dog is the one off leash.

I know we have the 'dangerous dog' law here as well. But if my dog is tied / fenced in and the other dog is the one to enter MY yard and get hurt, I'm not so sure MY dog is the one that gets labelled dangerous. I agree, you do not want to find out!

If you really want to be proactive, you can suggest he take the dog to training at a place like XXX - get the name of a local positive reinforcement training place.

Exactly, talk to him, and explain that for his dog's safety, and your sanity, he really needs to keep her controlled. If not, you may end up needed to call Animal Control, which as a fellow dog owner you do not want to have to do, but for everyone's safety, you may need to consider. Tell him that, as his dog has been the aggressor in the past.
    I've Been Frosted

You say you don't want to bother telling animal control or whoever about this little dog, I believe it is a major thing because
    it has happened more than once.You will be protecting your own dog and the smaller dog, by informing authorities what's been
    happening. Why should you have to keep talking to the guy? Maybe he'll listen to AC when they come out to look into this.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    You say you don't want to bother telling animal control or whoever about this little dog, I believe it is a major thing because
    it has happened more than once.You will be protecting your own dog and the smaller dog, by informing authorities what's been
    happening. Why should you have to keep talking to the guy? Maybe he'll listen to AC when they come out to look into this.
    You hit the nail on the head, Liz.

It's a repeat situation, obviously the other dog's owner doesn't see the issue, so it is time for ACO to deal with it.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Agree. If Mikey ever does really hurt this dog and there are no past reports, it will be your word against the neighbors.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Does being a complete airhead count as a mental problem? LOL I am kidding, but I think that's all that is wrong with him. He's just completely spacey.

As for AC, they never have come out for anything either I've called about, or my neighbors have called about. They came out once for a dog bite on a human on my block and that's only "because the guy needed medical attention" (he was bitten by a boxer), I think they'd laugh in my face at this situation, seriously. I think if this dog severely injured someone it would be different. I've never had a real talk about it with this guy, I just said some remarks to him about it. But even my neighbor said to me today "that dog is crazy". She was out carrying in groceries. It happened once when her kids were out (4 & 9) and she said it scared her kids because they love Mikey and they've never seen him react like that.

I also don't want some big blow up with the neighbors happen over something that, while it is annoying, isn't severe enough to warrant authorities. I just want to come across to him that I'm serious about this BS ending. One time, fine, but seriously 4 times? I wish I knew if this dog was human aggressive to, then I don't think I'd be as afraid to call AC as I am about this, or even if it's happened to other people. Other people have seen this happen and have said something to me about how obviously this dog needs a leash. One day she's going to go after the wrong dog and potentially get hurt/killed.

I would not hesitate to call AC. If it works like it does here, they won't tell the owner who called and if they've never been there before, it's unlikely anything serious will happen to the dog or owner. But they will have a record of the dog's behaviour and be able to enforce whatever consequences your local laws allow if the owner doesn't get his act together.

We have a similar issue with a quartet of local dogs. Now they are big, husky mixes so they can and have done plenty of damage to other dogs. I don't know what you have to do to make a husky that mean but they are the nastiest huskies I've ever met. They've completely destroyed everyone else's enjoyment of the trails around here. Their owners keep them leashed, but long flexi leashes. They always claimed that being on-leash meant nothing was their dogs' faults. I've called AC and had long discussions with them about how on-leash and under control are two different things! I know others have called AC too. Last week I was out running and passed these dogs....all on 5 foot leashes and muzzled, which up here means they've all been deemed dangerous dogs! Now maybe the rest of us will be able to let our well behaved, friendly dogs enjoy the trails again!

I've owned a dog who hated every other dog on the planet. Keeping other dogs safe from Kayleigh was my responsiblity. No one else needed to worry that my dog aggressive dog was going to hurt their dog. Protecting other dogs from Kayleigh and her from herself was a ton of work, but it was the only responsible way to keep a dog with that kind of temperment! You shouldn't have to worry about Mikey when you're doing the right things for him!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Oh and another thing I forgot to mention, Mikey isn't licensed with my town..which would be like calling AC on myself. Unless, I wouldn't need to get involved with talking to them? The issue here IS about the other dog, not Mikey.

I still live with my parents, so I am kind of reined in about what THEY want as well. I will definitely talk to them about what they think we should do. My Dad has talked to more than one neighbor before about a loose dog problem. I don't get what it takes to keep your dog enclosed and secure. It just makes no sense to me. Sure, Mikey gets away on occasions but he would NEVER attack another do like that.

Glacier, that is CRAZY. Having dog aggressive dogs on a FLEXI leash, what is wrong with people?? ESPECIALLY on trails where people run with dogs all the time That really takes the cake. I am glad your issue is resolved though, hopefully!

As for, being leashed and controlled...yep they are not the same thing. It amazes me that people have no audacity for others. I can only imagine what would happen if I let psycho off-leash. He'd try to PLAY with everything. He's one of those "too in your face" dogs, he doesn't have the best Doggy manners and he sometimes gets very excitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    I also don't want some big blow up with the neighbors happen over something that, while it is annoying, isn't severe enough to warrant authorities. I just want to come across to him that I'm serious about this BS ending. One time, fine, but seriously 4 times?
    It will be serious if Mikey badly hurts that dog and THEY call AC, you can bet on that. And I don't want to think what will happen then.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I say just tell him exactly what you just told us here. You don't want his dog to get hurt. If he can't keep her under control you'll have to tell authorities to help protect your own dog. I don't know anything about dog laws (even in my own state/town), but couldn't you report this dog and if anything did happen to her by Mikey they could see you were being proactive in trying to remedy the problem?

But you should really tell him and express how Mikey reacts to her and the (obvious) fact that Mikey is much bigger than her and could seriously injure her and you do NOT want to see that happen.

Good luck!
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Does being a complete airhead count as a mental problem? LOL I am kidding, but I think that's all that is wrong with him. He's just completely spacey.
    Oh there are people I do which it was a recognize mental health issue!

I would do something about it because if Mikey did something to the other dog (in defense obviously), then it wouldn't matter that the other dog was aggressive, they would probably place the blame on him. We had an aggressive dog once (ages ago) and the situation was not pretty when he ended up biting someone. So, I think it'd be best to call AC and see if there is anything they can do. You don't want Mikey to get hurt or the little ankle biter to end up bleeding.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Why call AC if they don't come out? If there are leash laws in your area the police are responsible for that. Police also take care of the vicious and dangerous dog problems where I live. Not animal control. Its not like these people are giving their dog a fair life anyway.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton