Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My mom's cat - Shydey (a/k/a Shiney)

I'm glad Shiney seems to be doing a little better.

Continuing prayers.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanks Pat.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The vet who diagnosed my RB Storm was able to feel that his intestinal tract was inflammed. My vet also looked more thoroughly at his blood work and she found that he was low in folic acid so I had to give him some supplements for 6 weeks. I also ended up giving him a 1/2 of a pill of regular strength pepcid every night too and his pred was given in the morning.

Good update:

Mom says Shiney is still not quite himself, but he is under his favourite blue blanket on the couch and when Mom puts her hand under there he rubs his head against her hand and purrs!

He is also playing!

The vet called and said if he continues to do well they'll extend his prescription of painkillers. It's not metacam - it's buprenorphine, an opiod agonist: http://www.vetinfo.com/buprenorphine-for-cats.html

Maybe he has some arthritis that was really bothering him. Who knows?

I am just glad he is returning to his normal self. Mom says the amount of liquid med is so small that it's easy to medicate him.

What good news!

Continuing prayers and good wishes and love. Be well, Shiney!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

I'm glad that he's starting to improve. I hope he'll continue to do well.

Day before yesterday - Mom said Shiney is completely back to normal! The meds constipate him though, so he is also getting a bit of lactulose.

He's got another week on the pain meds; the vet wants to see if they got him through whatever was going on.

I still suspect a digestive inflammation of some kind...he has had a tendency to throw up regularly but not every day.

Glad he is still himself though.

Will keep you posted. Thank you SO much for all the good thoughts and prayers!

Sounds good, Candace! Here's hoping and praying for a good vet report.

Death thought about it.

I got to see Shiney in purrson today. He runs from Mom a lot because she is the mean kitty burrito creator who gives him his meds. He was fine with me...he even flopped' for a belly rub, but I think he is still not quite himself. Likely he is spooked by the meds - and as the pain med is an opiate agonist, it might be changing his thoughts or moods a bit. I did the neck skin test and he is a bit dehydrated.

Interestingly he's thrown up only once - and that was throwing up meds.

Once this course of meds is done then he goes off the painkillers. I am still suspecting inflammation somewhere in the digestive system. I know the vet will figure something out.

Also Mom told me that Shiney is 15! Just a year younger than poor dear Fister. At least if he does have to be on pred or something for the rest of his life it will be worth it.

I'm glad to hear that he's doing much better. My vet told me that cats do much better on pred long term than people or dogs do. Like I said before, pred was a lifesaver for my Storm. It's also very inexpensive too. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.