Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mom's cat - Shydey (a/k/a Shiney)

My mom's cat - Shydey (a/k/a Shiney)

Shiney is about 13 years old. He is the surviving one of a pair of Lilac Point kitties that my sister had. She died in 2006 and Pyka, the one cat, was sadly euthanised due to cancer just over a year later.

Shiney went to the vet today as he became lethargic and quiet yesterday afternoon. He hadn't eaten or drank much, and hadn't used his litter box - or any other part of the house.

Today he had a urine sample taken and two blood panels. He got sub-q fluids and a vitamin B shot. Results will be in tomorrow.

When Mom got Shiney home she fed him and he just gobbled the food right up. He's sleeping right now.

Would sure appreciate some good thoughts and prayers that whatever Shiney has is very treatable.

Thanks!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

So, he didn't eat, he went to the vet, he came home and ate? Oh yeah that sounds about right for a "C - A - T" just drive the humans crazy!

Seriously, prayers from RI that all is well and if anything shows up it is easily treatable. Since he had sub q fluids, that means he was dehydrated, wonder why? But once they get like that, they feel so icky they won't eat.

Do let us know what the results of the testing are!

Prayers that he's just fine.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Prayers on the way!
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers for dear Shiney that all is well or will be well soon.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Prayers that the fluids and vitamins put dear Shiney right.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

This is beginning to feel like the story of Randi's poor Fister.

The blood and urine work was all fine! The only remote possibility the vet could think of was the pancreas. She said that the test for pancreatitis gives inconclusive results and that we here in Canada have to send to the southern USA for it to be done.

She did suggest that Mom could stop by and get some painkillers for Shiney...except that he seems to be in no pain. I'll suggest she try that...maybe there's an inflammation in his mouth somewhere?

He still isn't really eating or drinking...but mom found an old feeding syringe she used for Pyka many years ago. She made a kitty burrito out of Shiney with a towel and gave him about 2 tsp of water. She will give him more before bed time.

I hope he is just 'off' for some reason and will bounce back soon! Weird. Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts - keep them coming.

ETA: Mom phone later tonight. She is taking Shiney in 1st thing tomorrow morning for another sub-q. She will ask the vet whether she thinks an x-ray is ok. Shiney has been prone to throwing up in the past - several times a week - but Mom found a food he could keep down. The vet palpated Shiney's abdomen and felt nothing.

Shiney threw up the small amount of tuna juice he had lapped up earlier this evening.

Mom and I are both very very worried. Has something in his body decided it is time to die?

It's so very worrisome and frustrating when there is no apparent reason.
    Last edited by Catty1; 01-29-2013 at 09:47 PM.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are going out to Shiney. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

More prayers and good wishes and love are being sent for Shiney and Mom and you, Candace.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Prayers for Shiney coming from us here in Delaware. It's so difficult when they are sick, but the problem can't be pinpointed.
    {{{Hugs}}} to Shiney, your Mom, and you too, Candace.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Thanks again. I talked to my mom this morning - she is waiting for the vet to call her back. She did get up in the middle of the night and warm up some cat food for Shiney. He ate about 2 teaspoons (he is a small cat) but threw it up again. This seems a bit more sinister than just needing an appetite suppressant.

Shiney is getting a pain med injection and getting rehydrated. This is a different vet this morning...maybe she will feel something the other didn't? Although Shiney used his litter box twice after the first visit.

Hoping for news/improvement. Still praying. I kept waking up last night.

PT prayers are amazing. Thank you again for sending them and good thoughts.

Just before 11 am here - I phoned Mom as soon as I got in from the waking group.

She had just returned. The vet palpated him again and said there is food in his intestine. Shiney was re-hydrated and given some pain medication. Mom has some liquid pain med to give him.

Right now he is perky and walking around. Overnight he opened a cupboard door that he has figured out, which shows some liveliness.

The vet also said that hey may just be coming to the end of his natural life span. She also thought that testing for pancreatitis wasn't indicated right now...as I mentioned earlier it not only can be inconclusive, but the sample has to be sent to the southern USA and would take 10 days to come back.

So hopefully the pain meds will allow him to eat and keep food down, and he may turn around.

Thank you for the prayers.

I just wanted to mention that my RB Storm began vomiting up his food and water too. I had to take him to my vet a few times before one of the vets diagnosed him with small intestinal disease. He was also low in some other mineral/vitamin so I also had to give him some supplements for a while. He was put on prednisolone and he was able to reduce his dose to 1/2 a pill a day. This did the trick and without it he would've had a much shorter life. It also helped his appetite too. I hope that Shiney will start feeling better soon.

Prayers for Shiney from the deep south. I know him being your sister baby makes his so much more special to all of you. I will send up some special prayers for him.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Thank you all again. Came home from a job this afternoon to a message from my mom. Shiney ate all the food she put down for him - it wasn't a lot, but he did eat it all. He still is shy and won't come to her for cuddles, but he still is perkier.

The vet did say he had a small bladder. How is small intestinal disease diagnosed? Or perhaps a small dose of pred would help him in any case.

The vet also didn't want to mix an appetite stimulant with pain meds as Shiney could act rather wacky on that combo.

A bit of relief here, but still crossing fingers!